Danny Graves' GEN-3 BITCHES!

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
dannygraves

Danny Graves' GEN-3 BITCHES!

Post by dannygraves »

So, its nearing completion and I thought I'd start a little thread. I always forget to take pics, but did remember a few important parts.

here is the $400 donor I bought off a 10 YO kid, I didn't really feel bad trashing this chassis. Although when I opened up the motor it was the nicest and cleanest motor I've ever opened up, especially for the age and condition of the rest of the bike.

the motor got the full treatment, every bearing, seal, even nut and bolt replaced with new OEM (yes, that is a brand new oem crank!)

nice blasted cases and jug, w/ trans w/ brand new washers, bushings and ever 2 new gears.

so... back to the conversion:

after some cuts

Y in place, measuring gap to fill... roughly 1 inch or 25mm.

tacked

a little room for the case on the right side

freshly welded top of Y

welded in after 2 1/2" dowels were installed. I rounded off the front side of the dowels so they would fit tight against the bend int eh downtube.

Y, retained stock shape of weld instead of a strait cut. the optics make it look weird, but its very nice and totally symmetrical.

front mounts fabbed out of 1/4" plate and shaved into a step to wrap around the frame. need to trim down the weld by the hole to make room for the blot head/nut.

now for the radiator f-up that evreyone wanted pics for.
I was able to bend the cross hose fittings w/o any issues, I used a deep 1/4" drive 9mm socket with an extension hooked in and just bent them forward.
the exit out the bottom was the problem. in trying to bend it, I ripped it off... :oops:

I found the radiator that came with the donor bike and chopped the tank off, then blasted it clean. I will use it to cover the hole as well as to make a proper outlet.

tried aluminum brazing and it was an epic fail, so I finally ended up MIG welding, then JB welding to make sure it didn't leak

it was laying this side down and had some drips hanging when it dried, so I lightly sanded

headstays:

used a peice of 3/16" plate, made a cardboard template, cut out the shape, then used a hammer to bend it right. the vise didn't work out so well, but my garage has some really large expansion joints, so I just laid the peices over the crack, heated, then used the pointed back of my sledge and got a nice bend w/ a few slight misses and batal scars. If I were to do it again, I'd do the same, only hold the point hammed against the peice and use another hammer to do the hammering to avoid misses.

used '03 cr250 ign.

first off the plate needs to be modified, the groove in the plate is to big around, but the right depth. so I used a 1" hole saw on my drill press to rig toigether a sort of mill and used circular modions with very little pressure to mill out the peice poking out. the oter cool thing is there is a casting mark right where the right depth is which also gives you reference for which parts to cut more from. I was in my zona and didn't get any pics. also the wires are too long and you have to pull them through the big D shaped grommet.

also w/ the '03 ign, you don't need the power valve servo hooked up to get spark, so I pulled the 5 wires from the harness including the pins in teh cdi side connector and packed the empty holes on the connector w/ silicone. this way everything is still water proof and I eliminate the extra clutter of 50 more wires and another connector.

for the '03 cdi to work you DO NEED THE CAP AND REGULATOR!

I mounted my coil where the power valve servo was. I used two 1/2" wide stips of 1/4" place with holes drilled and tepped to m6x1. the rear holes are 20mm apart and the front was 25mm apart.

ok, some additional info...
I used the cr125 59mm bushing on the right for the swingarm bolt spacing.

I used what I think were the stock cr250 hoses to go from the head to the rads (they were in a box full of hoses that could have been from any bike)
and trimmed the right side one around an inch on teh head side. I was going to just use regular 5/8" heater hose, but the coil got in the way on the left side, and I found 2 matching hoses and used them. the lower crossover hose is regular 5/8" heater hose, and the water pump inlet and outlet are just 3/4" heater hose.

the airbox did not require ANY modification, I fit the boot on the carb and just had to push a little to get the upper subframe bolt in. (just as a side note, these airboxes are notorious for leaking where the boot mounts up to the airbox. the previous owner put on one of those aftermarket aluminum braces on, but mounted it in such a way that the gasket and part of the boot were pushed in and obviously leaking, I ditched the gasket and used some silicone and took care when tightening the plate not to push to boot in when installing the lower left bolt.)

the gas tank also requires no mods. but on my bike I have some bolts stuck in it that I have to work on.

the only thing I have left is exhaust and from my initial mock up it looks like a peice of cake. the silencer will be more work, but that what the welder is for :wink:
Hopefully tonight or tomorrow I will be able to take it for a spin :D
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Good job Graves.......
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

thx Bob! yeah, I kinda rigged the rads which I promised myself I wouldn't do, but they are also beat to hell and nearly tacoed, so I might just keep my eyes open for some nicer rads and send them out to be done right.
I'm pretty happy with how the rest is turning out though. Justin hooked me up with mad discounts from his work, I got the evo bars, sprickets, new cables, fork guards and some small shit for $140.
:cool:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
south central hoon

Post by south central hoon »

Right on danny! looking good. I actually pictured something MUCH worse on your rad repair. :D

Can't wait to see it finished. :cool:
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

thanks mang! :wink:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

south central hoon wrote: I actually pictured something MUCH worse on your rad repair. :D
You need J-B Weld "X-Ray" vision.....
:wink:
ISBB

Post by ISBB »

And a free clutch cable lol..

I cant wait to get started on mine :D Just gotat finish paying it off first lol..
97 Steel 500 that wants to be an AFC
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

yup, thanks again, btw.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

NICE
Travis

Post by Travis »

Really nice. I would love to have an Af. If I ever get a frame and around to it I will hit you up for some tips on this 250 ign. I will have to get with Roost about a decomp too. The rad could have been worse but other than that it looks like an excellent conversion.
Travis

89 CR500
01 Banshee
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

Loooking good Danny. If they hold coolant, I wouldn't give the rad a second thought. Function man, function! :wink:
Hellbear

Post by Hellbear »

Nice Danny!!
Exnav

Post by Exnav »

Can't wait to see the finished bike and more importantly, the ride report.
yota

Post by yota »

Danny nice, wish I could weld worth a shit, bet you can't wait to get that thing in the dirt.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

right on :cool: . what year chassis and engine is it ?
4Z

Post by 4Z »

Lookin good DG!!
Question, why do you need the reg and cap? I assume there is a "lighting" coil that ran the servo. If that is the case, can't you just ground the lighting coil and toss the reg/cap?
davo77

Post by davo77 »

hey danny, i was able to get my pc silencer to fit easily by heating and straightening out the bend in the stinger section a little. with a bit of a tweak it bolted up perfectly to the rear mount. the front mount needed repositioning though, definatley easier and cleaner than cutting up the silencer .
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

Not bad, dude. I actually figured your DR'd radiator would be worse. If you woulda sanded the whole JB'd area, it'd almost blend in with the AL - well, on the pic anyway. So - got the cam fone pic - is it running yet???

Sneak peek, all:

The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

DesertCR

Post by DesertCR »

Where can one buy the white Honda graphics? They look bitchen.
CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

Danny J-B Weld :shock: :? your not related to Brit are you. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Looking good , should be sweet when complete. :cool: :woot:
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

thanks guys. I made some more progress last night as you can see from the pic andy posted, I took a couple real cam pics I will post up later.

100hp, its a 2003 cr250 and the motor was an '89, but it has a '90+ side cover and clutch and a '97 trans and a brand new '90+ crank and is running std bore on a '90+ jug. so, for all intensive purposes its a '93+ but the cases are '89 :wink:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

ok, so gen-3's rock! even the exhaust is easier... this is by far my favorite conversion.
This isn't my final exhaust setup... I have 4 different pipes I want to try (PC, FMF gnarly, FMF signature, FMF fatty) the fatty is currently installed. I just used a random hanger I found laying around, but I plan to get a stock cr250 mount with the 2 rubber gromets and make that work. The rear mount doesn't look hard at all, but I'm not going to do that until I figure out which pipe i'm gonna settle on since I will modify the rear mount on the pipe for that.
my old school answer SA bolted right on for the front mount, but the rear was a no go. I chopped it off and when I get home today I will weld on a little tab to bolt it on where the rear fender bolt goes.

The steelie clutch cable is too short, if I ran it around the right of the stem and over I couldn't turn the bars all teh way to the left without the cable trying to break the cdi connector. for now I ran it up the right side and it loops a pretty tight radius, but it works for now until I get a custom one from motion pro (also going to see if there is an existign off the shelf cable that is the same one a couple inches longer).
some pics:

I drilled a little hole in the mounting tab to make this hanger work.

front silencer mount...tits

cut off rear mount, getting to place in a different spot

sexy shot
also makes me realize how badly I need to clean up my garage!

'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

I want those graphics!! And clean your garage!

Oh - nice AC machine, BTW! ;)
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

looks good.
I made a piece that welded to the existing pipe mount so that it can go back on a steelie in a second

Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

I've gotta ask you something, I looked at my '02 250 and the tank fully rests against that rubber flap on the frame at the back, bro's '04 250 does not. It fits like my '03 250 chassis i built on and has 3/8" or more space in there. Tank sits down in it until it bolts on at the top and that pulls it up. Whats going on there? bot the '02 + '04 are fully mint bikes but different fitment.