500 jetting advice

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
Fletch 2

500 jetting advice

Post by Fletch 2 »

I have just taken my 500 (first one) for its first run after a major overhual, everything is stock apart from the procircuit pipe. It has a PJ carb currently has a 55 pilot, 162 main and 4th clip on the needle. Running at sea level, mid to high 20s (degrees C). Air screw set at 2.5 turns. It will start fine but the throttle needs to be open about 1/4 turn at most when kicking over and it wont idle in neutral. Plenty of spooge round the exhuast port. As for when the bike is in motion, it seem to have very little power when rolling the throttle on, feels jerky and rough and will sometime just shut off when slowing down (starts fine again). Also the plug is fairly oily and i tried adjusting the air screw down in 1/2 turns down to 1 1/2 but nothing changed. Since i have never tuned a 2 stroke some advice from the blokes who have would be great. If i have not given enough detail let me know. Cheers.
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

I'm at sea-level and every 500 I've ever owned with the PJ carb needed the needle leaned (2nd clip from top), 55 pilot and 1 1/2 turns out on the A/S. I never touched the main jet. If you're on the fourth clip from the top, that's much richer than what I've ran.

Try adjusting the needle and the A/S. Turn the screw in until the bike's idle slows down then back it out until it runs smoothly. Adjust your pilot jet if need be. Of course, make sure that you're starting with fresh premix, clean air filter and a new plug.

Once you get that sorted, if you're still getting excessive spooge, you may have a right side main seal/collar gone bad if you haven't addressed that in your overhaul.
DesertCR

Post by DesertCR »

I'm pretty close to sea level too and I went to a 50 pilot and it seems to run much better and idle. And try the third position first and if that doesnt work goto 2nd on the needle.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

GET THAT 162 MAIN THE F@#$ OUT OF THERE!!!!
that is just dangerous, I wouldn't feel safe running anything less than a 170, especially at low elevation.
what premix ratio are you running?
1 1/2 turns is the standard a/s setting, 55 is standard pilot. if you have the 1368 needle, definitly move the clip to the 2nd from the top. I've had some PJs with 1368, 1370 and 1372, the latter 2 I'd consider 3rd clip...MAYBE 4th on a ported bike.
175 is a good start for a main jet, stock bikes running a lean premix (40:1+) seem to like 170 and 172 mains.
the needle sounds to be the big problem along with the lean a/s setting.
also its a good idea to clean out the whole thing, check the float level and make sure the float needle is working while you have it apart.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

put the 55 back in and set it back to 1 1/2 turns, a richer pilot is a good thing.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

Ya put at least a 168 in there. But thats not the problem. Stock motor and PJ sometimes like a 1468 needle, DGJ is the Kehein #.
Sounds like the idle knob needs to be turned counter clockwise to rise the idle.
Fletch 2

Post by Fletch 2 »

Im running fresh 32:1 premix. I'll go with your advice on the carb settings. I got a bad feeling tho that tranny oil is leaking into the crank. White smoke, plenty spooge and it smells like second hand 4 stroke oil, the tranny oil was in there for about 2 to 3 months before i ran the bike the other day and topped it up with about 150ml. I changed all gaskets and seals, and cleaned up all mating surfaces when i did the rebuiled. I spose i would just be best off stripping it back down and replacing the gaskets and crank shaft seals. Would this be my best bet?
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

Fletch 2 wrote:I spose i would just be best off stripping it back down and replacing the gaskets and crank shaft seals. Would this be my best bet?
I'm confused. On the one hand you say you replaced all the seals but, on the other, you're asking if you should tear it down and replace the main seals? Did you replace the main bearings, seals, collar when you rebuilt the bike?

Have you adjusted the needle, as suggested, to the 2nd clip?
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

find this by blowing air into the sparkplug hole and cap the trans vent tube
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

:shock: :shock:
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

that was one of those shotgun sounding kicks that almost started it
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:that was one of those shotgun sounding kicks that almost started it
I'll have that image in my mind now whenever I get one of those. Thanks R_M! :wink: :lol: Was that an OEM gasket?
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

ya, OEM its wierd, I've used 3 different color gaskets from Honda now
Fletch 2

Post by Fletch 2 »

i used all new gaskets, seals and bearings, did not change the collar tho. I have not ran the bike since i changed the clip position only because i would like to get to the bottom of this problem first.
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

Fletch 2 wrote:i used all new gaskets, seals and bearings, did not change the collar tho. I have not ran the bike since i changed the clip position only because i would like to get to the bottom of this problem first.
Being two clips off on the needle which is alot, you may already have done so.

What shape was the collar in? In the future, I would make a point of replacing it with main bearings and seals. It's not that expensive of a part and, if it's bad, you're wasting your time with new seals.
Fletch 2

Post by Fletch 2 »

The collar was in good condition as far as i could tell. Ill be going past the honda dealer today, would you say it is worth while getting a new collar and seal?
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:Image

find this by blowing air into the sparkplug hole and cap the trans vent tube

:wink:
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

Fletch 2 wrote:White smoke, plenty spooge and it smells like second hand 4 stroke oil, the tranny oil was in there for about 2 to 3 months before i ran the bike the other day and topped it up with about 150ml.
Would this be my best bet?
Yep, center case gasket.
Fletch 2

Post by Fletch 2 »

The centre gasket was fine, it ended up being that seal on the inside of the collar... it was not there! Wont stuff that up next time. Do you know if that seal comes with the collar or do you have to order it as well?