something a little different

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
coley13

something a little different

Post by coley13 »

sorry it's not an AF but i thought i'd put it in here anyway seeing it's a conversion.

this bike also has compliance for full road registration

started working on it yesterday and this i where i'm at so far. only a few hours work so far, many more hours thinking about it thought, all i need to do is weld in a new lower cradle, sort out the cylinder head and make up some 16mm swingarm bushes and she's good to go.

this picture is just a dummy run to make sure everything fits, air boot will line up very easily, exhaust basically bolts straight in, no radiator mods required.

it's a tight fit so as you could imagine i was nervous as hell cutting up a perfectly good 06 frame, but it looks like it will pay off in the long run

13 isnt unlucky i just keep falling off
south central hoon

Post by south central hoon »

looks pretty cool. what is your thinking in chassis preference. what does the TM steelie have that the honda steelie doesn't? just curious. cheers on the project. :)
coley13

Post by coley13 »

ergonomics, suspension, brakes, steering are night and day better than the steelie honda.

it's a well balanced bike however i hope i dont stuff that up with the larger engine. the weight is going to be a little further towards the front now :lol: i guess i'll just have to wait and see what happens.

i'm making it so both engines are going to interchangeable without modification.

i think overall weight would be similar to an alloy framed honda so i dont really think the aluminium vs cro mo steel is an issue.
bearorso

Post by bearorso »

I was just getting ready for a mid-week ride & checked the other site & posted there.

Top Stuff Mate. As I said there - most just don't know how good the TM chassis & suspension are - as far as I'm concerned, much better than any AF/CRF. That might upset a few, but I've ridden all types (not an 09 450 based one yet - a mate of mine has been heming & hawing about a conversion since late last year - I will probably do it when he gets his usual 2 bikes for his spoilt brat for 2010 season ) & I think your 06 300 based bike will be brilliant. Pay attention to the CS location &, if anything, the slight extra weight will make the front end even more planted. For want of a better description, 4 stroke like. Will radiator fittings work as is? From my recollection they are also substantially bigger than the 500 ones, which will be an added side benefit.

Hope it works out, please keep us posted on your progress. I doubt that it would be the right size, given that the cradle on the 500 is 1 1/8", but I have 1" Cro Mo in 455mm lengths left over from MTB & BMX frame runs if that size would be of use to you. All my 1 1/8" has just gone into a couple of F2 Ducati replicas I've done for a fellow.
coley13

Post by coley13 »

i just measured the CS location compared to the old 300 engine and weighed the engines. both engines way the same with fluids. The 500 is about 400 grams heavier give or take depending on how accurate my bathroom scales are.

Now the CS is 15mm further forward and 14mm lower with the new 500 engine compared to the 300, what that means on chassis balance i've got no idea :lol:

as far as height goes for the CS i wont be able to go up or down becuase of the tight fit of the engine in general, i basically wouldnt be able to tilt the engine forward or backwards becuase of clearance issues
xtremeslide

Post by xtremeslide »

Nice project :cool:
CR500R
V-MAX 1200
caseyracing222

Post by caseyracing222 »

very :cool: , your going to be the bling king with that thing. Ive never ridden a TM before but it looks like they are built really well and I know that Ohlins suspension is top notch. anyways beautiful build its nice to see someone bring something to the table thats out of the box.
-Jake

bearorso

Post by bearorso »

Hey Coley,

I've been on & off the phone to my mate who had the TMs. The CR has 65mm ( roughly)center to centre - 15mm less sounded very short but he did confirm he was limited to possibly (he's a bit blank is Murph) 13 &12 tooth sprockets. 14mm lower seems massive to , means the TM went very early into the wheel/SA pivot/ CS center going past the "all centre alignment" - making the back squat. Your lower CS is much better the opposite way - eg CRF450 09 dropped CS 5mm for better drive/suspension action under acceleration - As it is , you have the limitations given you & it at least is on the better side of the spectrum (sure you got it right with the the 14mm drop - std CR is roughly @ horizontal CS to SA centre) so it will not f"up the suspension - probably 'drive' a lot better under acceleration than the std TM set up.

The head material welds very well - make a headstay ( you can also use longer head studs & take a plate off the head which I assume is right by the down tube- with a bit of luck you may be able to do top end maintence easier that a steelie or AF ) - as I said before, any help I can give you I will so feel free to contact me, my mobile # is 0427232769 - I'm a night owl so I'm in my own workshop late after my day jobs - it's on silent most of the time for day work reasons but I will eventually get back to you.

Down the track, I can get a hold of my mates larger tank, with petcock , shrouds, but no cap for about $250. He wasn't sure of extra capacity (again , blank as......) probably 12/13 litre capacity but that's obviously down the line a ways for you
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

coley13 wrote:...... brakes are night and day better than the steelie honda.
Honda brakes are among the best made for a dirt bike. I'm having trouble believing this one.
yota

Post by yota »

AlisoBob wrote:
Honda brakes are among the best made for a dirt bike. I'm having trouble believing this one.
most steelie brakes are O L D
97af

Post by 97af »

coley13 wrote:ergonomics, suspension, brakes, steering are night and day better than the steelie honda.
I might agree with you about the ergo's - susp - steering but there no substitution for Hondas brakes.........
"A good friend will come bail you out of jail, A TRUE friend will be sitting next to saying, DAMN THAT WAS FUN"
britincali

Post by britincali »

I know the brakes on my AF are a ton better than my steelie, I almost went over the bars on the first spin up the street :lol: :lol:
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

Suspension setup and chassis geometry play a LARGE role in braking.
Last edited by MojoScojo on May 14th, 2009, 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
No longer have a CR500.
07 Yamaha YZ250, 17 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
Get on with riding or get on with dying.
https://www.youtube.com/mojoscojo
bearorso

Post by bearorso »

Brembo - Galfer 270 front / 240/250(?) rear. Mindblowing brakes that are just a bit better than Nissan production brakes to put it mildly.

The sort of stuff people pay a lot of money for, along with billet hubs, triple clamps, Ohlins suspension, a Swing Arm that's a work of art & a frame made of high quality Chrome Moly, with great geometry. Not knocking AFs, but this is something special that when finished & set up might make me organize a ride with Coley that he never comes back from, Bellangalo Forest style :twisted: ( it's an OZ thing guys ).
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

I prefer the master cyl of the 87-88 on the front, maybee the older ones are the same, but that thing has feel and hold like unreal compared to my others
coley13

Post by coley13 »

AlisoBob wrote:
i'm just going from seat of the pants experience, i always liked the honda brakes but these are much better in my experience, how ever the rear brake is a little too touchy.

they are oversized discs front and rear, the front is also a floating disc, brembo caliper nissin MC. the rear is nissin caliper and MC.

my thoughts are only on experience based evaluation not nessicarly the compenatry
coley13

Post by coley13 »

bearorso wrote:Hey Coley,

I've been on & off the phone to my mate who had the TMs. The CR has 65mm ( roughly)center to centre - 15mm less sounded very short but he did confirm he was limited to possibly (he's a bit blank is Murph) 13 &12 tooth sprockets. 14mm lower seems massive to , means the TM went very early into the wheel/SA pivot/ CS center going past the "all centre alignment" - making the back squat. Your lower CS is much better the opposite way - eg CRF450 09 dropped CS 5mm for better drive/suspension action under acceleration - As it is , you have the limitations given you & it at least is on the better side of the spectrum (sure you got it right with the the 14mm drop - std CR is roughly @ horizontal CS to SA centre) so it will not f"up the suspension - probably 'drive' a lot better under acceleration than the std TM set up.

The head material welds very well - make a headstay ( you can also use longer head studs & take a plate off the head which I assume is right by the down tube- with a bit of luck you may be able to do top end maintence easier that a steelie or AF ) - as I said before, any help I can give you I will so feel free to contact me, my mobile # is 0427232769 - I'm a night owl so I'm in my own workshop late after my day jobs - it's on silent most of the time for day work reasons but I will eventually get back to you.

Down the track, I can get a hold of my mates larger tank, with petcock , shrouds, but no cap for about $250. He wasn't sure of extra capacity (again , blank as......) probably 12/13 litre capacity but that's obviously down the line a ways for you
i'm thinking i may of got my wires crossed with what you were saying, the measurements 15mm furthur forward and 14mm down where the centre of the crankshaft

the countershaft however is 7mm further forward and 4mm down, i'm starting to think you where talking about the countershaft not the crankshaft, sorry if i misunderstood.

edit- so if i'm thinking right the 4mm lower would be a good trade off seeing i'd be running a 14t instead of the 13t on the TM. it should keep the angle very similar due to the larger sprocket diameter. am i thinking right or am i completely out of whack
bearorso

Post by bearorso »

Hey Coley,

Yes, I read your Crank Shaft as my Countershaft measurements- 7mm forward & 4mm down sounds more like it . Sounds perfect - the 15 &14 really threw me as my dimming memory of the TM didn't really correlate with those measurements.. As I said, mimics what Honda did with the 09 450 & I think it will be perfect with the 500. I'd think the lowering of the Crankshaft by 15mm probably splits the difference of motors overall height increase over the TM. Not surprised by the small difference in weight between the motors, as the TM cases are pretty cobby & I guess us not having a power valve saves weight.........

Hows the tank clearance @ the head, I think the TM head sort of fitted "into" the tank. Plug clearance looks fantastic, carb to tank clearance good? I remember the airboot on the TM being very flexible so I thought you'd have few problems with that.

Keep at it - 2 friends who had TMs are drooling @ the thought of "their bike with my motor" - they always refer to it as the tractor with warp drive. In my trails /riding area it's pretty much in tractor mode all the time.
CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

bearorso your name isn't Ivan Milat is it, if so I thought you were still in jail. :lol:
bearorso

Post by bearorso »

Heh Heh, someone got the reference, on ya 07.

Here's the thing: I worked at Staintune in Mittagong at that time (before then all they knew about dirt bikes was to call them chook chasers - I got them into the dirt bike market). With all that going on with the murders and the police touting it as being the biggest investigation in history, You'd think they would have targeted my demographic- transitory (going back & forwards from Syd to Mit ), 30 year old single man, with beat up ute, scary looking & very aggressive (at the time, now I'm good looking & placid ). Never interviewed - but we did have a cop working part time - nicest bloke you'd ever meet one second, but the hardest bloke the next instant - as a polisher, so...

Bowral, Mittagong is /was a strange place - gentrified, millionaires ( used to see Barnsie at the pizza shop at least once a week when he was in town), upper end of society - but at the same time was the OZ capital for unwed mothers ( they moved there for cheap rent, nice scenery & direct rail line to Sydney) & road works meant a big population of transitory hard men. Then of course blokes who lived in the scrub that could be the subject of Wolf Creek - or Deliverance for US blokes. Going to the local pubs became pretty interesting. Helped a mate with security at one place , that was ranked as the 3rd most violent in NSW at the time but got too close to being on the loosing end a few times & got the hell out of dodge, so to speak. Genuinely a strange place at the time - No surprise Millat came out of the area & I reckon he & whoever helped him, had a much higher body count than he was convicted for.
CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

I believe there were more people involved in the murders as well.
Also sure there is a lot more bodies out there as well.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

:shock:
CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

Its a location thing you had to be there, N.S.W Australia :wink:
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

my woman likes that wolf creek movie, the cuz's live there and were tellin us about it by the campfire, the women were all scarred as hell :lol:
I remember getting home from that and the wife was cold and stinkin of campfire so she went for a bath, i was to go out to the shop and feed the cats so i snuck in the back door and she'd left the door open, so while she was standing there gawking in the mirror i reached in and grabbed her ass! holy shit did she freak! every bottle of shampoo and stuff that wasnt bolted down got hurled out the door, HAHAHA!
CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
:applaud: :applaud: :applaud:
:shtf:
If I did that to my wife she would kill me. :lol: