QUESTION for you guys...

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
Rearwheelslider

QUESTION for you guys...

Post by Rearwheelslider »

I have been wondering for some time now, why the hell does anyone need to go to an A/F? The steel frame works very well and I dont see the need to destroy a perfectly good A/F by welding new tubes and shit and have a steel frame just thrown to the curb. Please tell me there is something more than just looks, cause looks mean nothing out on the trail or track.
Ported&Polished

Post by Ported&Polished »

For me it was peer pressure. Everyone else was doing it, so I dropped the duckets to fit in. :D
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

If your into steel 250's, your in the wrong place.....

If youve never felt the thrill of a 500A/F, I feel sorry for you
mike hunt

Post by mike hunt »

If you still use a steel frame good for you! The af honda brought into production has been around since 97. Everbody has his or hers own tastes. Hence why you still might be on a 250 steelie. Get on a af sometime and then you might understand why the steelie gets sent to the curb. :wink:
cryzsurfer

QUESTION for you guys...

Post by cryzsurfer »

Because I want the latest in chassis and suspension without the headache of the fart machine that was bolted into it. Just look at how many aluminum frames and rolling assemblies are being sold on ebay and you realize the mortality of the power plant the dipshits in the AMA have forced on us.
Craigus
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

Aside from what they look like, it is simply wanting to ride a modern machine with the 500 engine in it. If you have a chance you should really ride one. My AF weighed as much or more than my steelies, but when riding, it felt like it weighed 50 pounds less. The AF would dive in and carve like a 125. A person who can be more eloquint than me could sit here for 2 weeks explaining the pros. Not to take away from jeep dudes, but if you have to ask you wouldn't understand.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

I used to ride around on a steelie '86 cr500... I took MFDBs 450 for a couple rides and it was just so much easier, it turned, braked and just flat out handled better. I could mobb right through some whoops where on my old '86 mobbing through some whoops involved several near death experiences.
it is simply us using a more modern and just flat out better chassis with a time tested and very powerful engine.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Mik329

Post by Mik329 »

If I had an AF back in the late 80's when I was a local pro in Socal, I might have have qualified for a national. That's how big of a difference it is for me.... you cannot even compare the advances in suspension they have made when you are talking that kind of speed on even a local level, let alone the speed the guys go that race for a living.
yota

Post by yota »

if honda had continued production and development of this model it would not still be a design from the early 90's, we are just doing honda's job for them. :oops:

on the other hand if they had continued development the engine would probably be a case reed, electric powervalved pos like the last gen 250. :shock:
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

i have a '98 steely that i love to ride just as much as any other bike, and it definatly wont ever get chopped up. i did however buy a gen3 for the purpose of chopping up sometime in the future when i get time and materials to do it. i originally planed to use a cr5 motor because i have a extra one laying around thats basically brandnew but im really considering changing my mind on what engine ill use. if my budget allows, im going to use a 431cc puma instead.
97af

Post by 97af »

100hp honda wrote:Im really considering changing my mind on what engine ill use. if my budget allows, im going to use a 431cc puma instead.
I dont know......I've got an 05 Gen III that got its name on one of these. :cool:

"A good friend will come bail you out of jail, A TRUE friend will be sitting next to saying, DAMN THAT WAS FUN"
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

97af wrote:
100hp honda wrote:Im really considering changing my mind on what engine ill use. if my budget allows, im going to use a 431cc puma instead.
I dont know......I've got an 05 Gen III that got its name on one of these. :cool:

yup, thats "kind of" the same idea i have :lol: . is that a 310 ? is see theres a 370 now, not sure how long its been around but its putting out some impressive HP.
97af

Post by 97af »

100hp honda wrote:
yup, thats "kind of" the same idea i have :lol: . is that a 310 ?
Close,its a 330 with an 01 bottom end.
"A good friend will come bail you out of jail, A TRUE friend will be sitting next to saying, DAMN THAT WAS FUN"
nmdesertrider

Post by nmdesertrider »

The steelie frame is a 20 year old design. Everything is better now on the newer bikes.
03 CRF450/85 500
Rearwheelslider

Messed.

Post by Rearwheelslider »

Thats messed up.
97af

Re: Messed.

Post by 97af »

Rearwheelslider wrote:Thats messed up.
:?