500 Motor-Value Guide

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
motor mouth

500 Motor-Value Guide

Post by motor mouth »

A place to post prospective motor purchases for overview by anyone who cares to comment.

I'm searching for a motor so I would like some input on value of different ones i find out there.

Here's the first one

"1986 Motor-not running but not far away. SOLD AS IS you must understand it needs work.
The Engine looks great,needs a 1mm overbore piston and gaskets,i know it would scream!"

So it's bored out 1mm and needs a couple part's. What do you think it's worth?
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

you need to see it first, 86 has the magnesium cover that rotts at the waterpump. its got the same ratio in the trans as the 93-01's
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Its impossible.... every motor has a story.

Its worth, what you will pay.

I cant believe what people are paying.

I should have bought every motor I saw 3 years ago..... They were dirt cheap.

The way to go now appears to buy a running bike, and part it out, minus the motor.
97af

Post by 97af »

AlisoBob wrote: The way to go now appears to buy a running bike, and part it out, minus the motor.
Or just buy a complete engine that you can afford,fix what you think it needs to make it right and forget about it.
The process of selling to this guy a part here....another guy a part here...the first guy bitching about how long it took to get said part...the second guy beating you up over shipping...And of course the guy that doesnt have any dough and will pay you for the parts later if you'll do him a favor and ship them now..you get the idea.It ends up being the biggest PIA of the entire conversion.
Last edited by 97af on January 28th, 2009, 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A good friend will come bail you out of jail, A TRUE friend will be sitting next to saying, DAMN THAT WAS FUN"
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

But who's going to install a unknown motor that you have never heard run, or shift?

I would still buy a whole bike... you can find them for $1500

I've seen guys pay $900, for something they know nothing about.

By the time you split the cases, and overhaul the thing... your in inthat much anyways.

The last bike I bought ( to get the motor for Crackers A/F) was a low time, cream fuff.

No "loose" motor you buy is going to be anywhere near that... most likey its someone elses headache.
motor mouth

Post by motor mouth »

So it really wouldn't be worth much to most of you guys, not being able to hear it run, just having to take their word for it? Most loose motors out there just seem to be people trying to make money parting out the bike. Would there be a deal worth your risk if it looked nice?
motor mouth

Post by motor mouth »

here is another, 1990

i have every part it needs to run, the motor needs a crank and it is bored out 60 over it has a brand new hotrods rod and new crank seals, $800

probably too much if it needs a crank
south central hoon

Post by south central hoon »

sounds like he bought the parts, but didn't know how, or too lazy to rebuild it.

low ball these guys as much as you can. the price of these motors is super inflated for no good reason.

he wants 800 offer 500 and bring cash.

I HAVE NEVER BOUGHT A USED TWO STROKE THAT DIDN'T GRENADE RIGHT AWAY! They get ridden hard and put away wet.....You are going to have to rebuild it anyway. start cheap and do the work so YOU know its right.

period.
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

AlisoBob wrote:...most likey its someone elses headache.

That about sums it up right there. Ask Danny Graves about his experience with the 86 he got. If I were you, getting a non-running motor, ask the owner if you can tear it down and measure everything 1st. Inspect everything, tell him you'll think about it, go home and figure out what it'll cost you to rebuild it. Otherwise, offer $200 or walk. Who knows, in this shitty time we're having, cash is king. You can get some good deals if you look hard enough and are willing to haggle. But I personally wouldnt pay a penny over that....JMHO.
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

motor mouth

Post by motor mouth »

thank's guys. You think these prices are inflated or just increased? Not many thing's are inflated in this economy.
kkvslayer

Post by kkvslayer »

I bought a 87 engine from Defaultpeanut on the other site last month for $300.00 CAD,it is 1mm ovr & minus a clutch cover and needs a complete rebuild,just waiting for it to arrive,I figure I'll be able to have a good back up engine for 1000.00 bucks or less once I'm done with it,like these guys are saying make sure you know what your getting into before purchasing otherwise you may end up pissed at the situation
1994 Heartless CR500R
1986 KX500
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Dont forget about the electronics.... A loose motor w/o stator and CDI is about as worthless as a toothbrush to Britincali.

Even if they are included..... does it work?

Get a running motor... period.
kkvslayer

Post by kkvslayer »

AlisoBob wrote:Dont forget about the electronics.... A loose motor w/o stator and CDI is about as worthless as a toothbrush to Britincali.

Even if they are included..... does it work?

Get a running motor... period.
Haha,nice comparision
1994 Heartless CR500R
1986 KX500
oggo69

Post by oggo69 »

i just sorted out the guts of a motor kit today , should be with me in ireland next week , .... i got basically a full motor minus the whole ignition system , clutch and stator covers ... fresh bore and hone and fresh piston ...
i am putting a 250 igniton on it , and new engine covers .... all freah bearings too ... i paid 1250 US dollars inculding shipping (@250) , pricey in a way but i will know pretty much where i stand with it . i inquired about a running motor and it was 750 USD , and i might need to bore it and new pistion and bearings too ...
Nodge

Post by Nodge »

I paid $400 for a 88 motor on ebay.
I haven't even opened it up yet, but I know it needs a top end by looking in the exhaust port.
I thought that wasn't "too" bad of a deal.

THEN I cracked the left case while tapping in the CR250 "bushing" on my gen 1.

I put it on the shelf and haven't thought about it for over a year.
Yah, I'm from Saskatchetoon!

MRE 02 250/500 conversion, pulse injector, twirp porting, coolhead, MRE ignition, blah blah blah blah... www.millarengines.com
motor mouth

Post by motor mouth »

that suck's.

Here's another

1987, in bike running, and he's willing to take it out including all other motor related parts for $600.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

AlisoBob wrote: The way to go now appears to buy a running bike, and part it out, minus the motor.
x99999999999. complete turn key bikes for cheap are all over this area, but im sure evry area is different. reason why they want top dollar for a motor on ebay is because the next guy is wanting top dollar so the cycle continues on down the line. a good majority of ebay motors are junk, some of the sellers recognise they have a junk motor and adjust the price accordingly but some them clowns dont realise they have junk but still want top dollar like the next guy
xtremeslide

Post by xtremeslide »

Sometimes(almost always) is better buy a running bike take the engine and sell the other parts so you'll get your money back if you play well your hand :wink:
CR500R
V-MAX 1200
nmdesertrider

Post by nmdesertrider »

I'm repeating myself but even an 01 motor is 8 years old now and probably needs a complete rebuild. Unless someone has had their motor rebuilt by a reputable shop recently with the receipts to prove it you have to assume anything you buy now is junk and needs a total overhaul.
03 CRF450/85 500
kball1313

Post by kball1313 »

AlisoBob wrote:Its impossible.... every motor has a story.

Its worth, what you will pay.

I cant believe what people are paying.

I should have bought every motor I saw 3 years ago..... They were dirt cheap.

The way to go now appears to buy a running bike, and part it out, minus the motor.
I did buy every motor I saw years ago. Here's a few of them:
If if doesn't kill you, it hurts like hell.
Quads are dirtbikes for fat kids.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

You da' Man... Baller....
pstoffers

Post by pstoffers »

AlisoBob wrote:You da' Man... Baller....

ImageImage
NAHA PRO HILLCLIMBER #216
LIVIN THE DREAM!!!

NOTHING BUT GREEN LABEL BLENDZALL!!!

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/P ... /Home.aspx
http://www.pro-hillclimbers.org/
MICK

Post by MICK »

It must feel good to have the ability to try new things on different motors to see how they work...

In this community I consider the CR500 motor itself a reflection of ones wealth. You sir are living high on the hog!!
'03 CR500 powered by...umm...a new motor?
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

MICK wrote:
In this community I consider the CR500 motor itself a reflection of ones wealth. You sir are living high on the hog!!
Mr. Lewis has him beat, by a factor of at least 3.....

:shock:
exackery

Post by exackery »

Damn I'm jealous ==> I'd love to have a few motors laying around. I'd have them all rebuilt and sitting on the shelf. Every few years I pull one down from the shelf stick it in then rebuild the old one and put it back on the shelf. I finally got enough scratch to pick up a couple and now they cost toooo much. Bikes up here are kinda scarce and if u do see one they want too much for it as well. If any hoon wants to sell off a motor or two from his collection for a fair price let me know. I guarantee it will only be used in a dirt bike driven by a hoon and treated with proper mechanical attention. If they stop making these things my riding days are over --> that 4 stroke business rots my socks.