lighting coil options ??

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
oggo69

lighting coil options ??

Post by oggo69 »

i have been searching around and can only find info where peeps are just using a single headlight so 40W seems to be ok
i will be putting my bike on the street and the only option i can find so far is the SH one at 500 dollars :o
is there any other known options out there , tried and tested ??
electrics is far from my thing too :oops:
DOHCFOX

Post by DOHCFOX »

You could use a CR250 lighting stator from Electro Sport as they appear to be a direct bolt in. They only supply about 50 watts of power though.
aloha450x

Post by aloha450x »

or you can run the traitech helmet light hid setup. its a separate system and recharable batt. like 3 hours before it needs charging. one of there systems runs for like 5.5 hours. look into it.
oggo69

Post by oggo69 »

aloha450x wrote:or you can run the traitech helmet light hid setup. its a separate system and recharable batt. like 3 hours before it needs charging. one of there systems runs for like 5.5 hours. look into it.
ta guys , noted on both counts :)
aloha450x

Post by aloha450x »

look on ebay there is an eline on there right now!!
oggo69

Post by oggo69 »

aloha450x wrote:look on ebay there is an eline on there right now!!
cheers will do
:cool:
MrDude_1

Post by MrDude_1 »

if its there, im sniping that sucker.

fair warning..... **runs off to ebay**
oggo69

Post by oggo69 »

MrDude_1 wrote:if its there, im sniping that sucker.

fair warning..... **runs off to ebay**
i will not bid , un-written rule :wink: i just want to some homework , what wattage do they put out ??
MrDude_1

Post by MrDude_1 »

btw, after tons of research, i think the best thing you can do is to put a CR250 igntion setup, and then run an aftermarket stator for a CR250.
this puts real wattage behind the stock cover.
plus you get the CR250s better timing curve.
however, you also get the 250s lighter flywheel.. good if you want that, bad if you dont.
sooo... you can add a flywheel weight for a CR250 to the flywheel, and have something closer to stock behavior.. and a stator under the cover.

just dont bother with the teenie little "35watt" or "25 watt" stators ment for the 500.. they dont really do anything.

ive written up a few posts about it before, search under my name for more info on them.
oggo69

Post by oggo69 »

MrDude_1 wrote:btw, after tons of research, i think the best thing you can do is to put a CR250 igntion setup, and then run an aftermarket stator for a CR250.
this puts real wattage behind the stock cover.
plus you get the CR250s better timing curve.
however, you also get the 250s lighter flywheel.. good if you want that, bad if you dont.
sooo... you can add a flywheel weight for a CR250 to the flywheel, and have something closer to stock behavior.. and a stator under the cover.

just dont bother with the teenie little "35watt" or "25 watt" stators ment for the 500.. they dont really do anything.

ive written up a few posts about it before, search under my name for more info on them.
thanks thats teh sort of info i was looking for , i could nto see a 40 watt being much good for road use , its down the line of the build but soemthing i was thinkning about :cool:
MrDude_1

Post by MrDude_1 »

either it just ended, or im blind. i cant find that sucker... lil help?
MrDude_1

Post by MrDude_1 »

heres what im doing right now.
i have a nice battery in the airbox.... the crappy "25/35 watt" coil, an AC regulator, and a cheap diode bridge rectifier..... it powers only a headlight, a vapor gauge, and a LED tail light.

at idle with the battery disconnected (its switched) --
the headlight bearly glows orange... the LEDs dont really light, the white ones for the license plate (low power) light up.. the red ones bearly flicker.

at just above idle
headlight is not quite white... LED tail light is bright, except brake light part.

at mid/upper RPM:
headlight is pulsing white, not solid, but no longer appearing dimmed... LED tail light is bright, including brake light part.

now, with the battery connected and fresh:
everything works fine, light stays bright white, tail light works great too... but battery is slowly discharging.

2hours later:
no change.

2.5 hours later:
headlight is slightly dimmer... but just as usable.

3 hours later:
headlight is now starting to dim visibly... everything else fine.

4 hours..
headlight is now orangish, and obviously underpowered.. at this point the headlight is more for others to see you, your visiblity is like having no headlight... light brigthtens slightly when reved to upper RPM.
tail light works but flicks a bit at idle with the brakes on.

sooo.. my solution is simple... i run around all day with the battery not being used, except for the brake light.
once i need the headlight, i use it... realising i only have 2 hours of real riding time left.

once home, i plug it into the battery tender... she charges pretty fast, given that its a small battery.... and then it trickles and keeps her topped off for next time i go riding.

this is how shes been for months now... once i get some other small things worked out, and after a few other mods, i plan to get the full CR250 ignition, with a lighting coil... this will provide enough wattage that the battery stays charged... meaning more night time fun.

btw, i found i need to aim my headlight DOWN, then use the highbeam when riding... that way, when the eventual front up acceleration occurs, i can flick the headlight switch with my thumb so the light stays aimed out, instead of lighting up the trees over the road. its fun but not always smart to grab a handful of fun, then suddenly not being able to see anymore.. lol.
xtremeslide

Post by xtremeslide »

MrDude_1 wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-CR ... ccessories
CR500R
V-MAX 1200
MrDude_1

Post by MrDude_1 »

xtremeslide wrote:
MrDude_1 wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-CR ... ccessories
thats the same crappy coil i have now... but thanks anyway....

btw, for anyone wondering, that coil is only $35 new, shipped... and that light isnt much more, new
britincali

Post by britincali »

What kind of battery and where did you put it?
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
aloha450x

Post by aloha450x »

i thought that was an eline. coouldnt see very well
MrDude_1

Post by MrDude_1 »

aloha450x wrote:i thought that was an eline. coouldnt see very well
e-line is an external stator.
it bolts some magnets to the outside of the flywheel, then uses a big billet cover to house a nice huge streetbike like stator around it.

an e-line makes something like two 100w outputs... so you can run your lights plus some desert lights and charge the battery... and maybe even some hotgrips or a heated vest or something... puts out alot of power.

britincali:
small sealed lead-acid battery... i was running one from my streetbike, but it bit the dust after awhile.. not unexpected as the charge/discharge cycle is a bit hard on a 2 yr old motorcycle battery.

so now im just running a sealed lead acid generic battery that cost me all of $25. its made for everything from emergency lighting to electric scooters.... because of its intended application, where its charged and discharged, i figured the plate thickness would be close to what i wanted for my app.
you can fit a good bit of battery in the airbox... theres a good bit of room in there... somehow i doubt my mostly stock engine is really choking from a decrease in airbox volume.
britincali

Post by britincali »

MrDude_1 wrote:

britincali:
small sealed lead-acid battery... .

Part # 4LBS?
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
MrDude_1

Post by MrDude_1 »

i'll look to see if there are any markings molded into it, but theres no stickers on it.. its not a "motorcycle battery"

a quick google turned up this:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2049668
its similar to that, except i believe mine is 10Ah.. thats size seems about the same however.

the motorcycle battery i initally used was Yuasa YTZ 7S
DOHCFOX

Post by DOHCFOX »

I just found this: http://www.batteriesplus.com/pc-32620-3 ... -12F2.aspx

I am thinking about running this in my bike until I can put together a CR250 setup for extended (not like that'd be a good idea on a CR500) riding on the street and offroad. Not a bad price either, given it's 12AH.
MrDude_1

Post by MrDude_1 »

that'll work just fine.
its sealed... so you can mount it anyway, and it wont leak anything into your airbox.
its a lead acid battery, so it can be charged by a stator once you get one.
and its 12v, so it can run everything.

plus.. its cheap.... and thats important because if you discharge it more then 85%, it will slowly damage itself.

really, any sealed 12v leadacid that fits will work. its not rocket science... the more amp hours, the longer it'll last... run a LED taillight and it'll last longer.. run a lower watt bulb, and it lasts longer.. etc...