Juddy's 05 CRF 450 conversion

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

Looks Badass!! Very clean!! I need to make the rear exhaust mount like you did...niice! How'd the tank come out?
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

juddy

Post by juddy »

Oh yeah I should get a pic of the rear mount on the silencer.Had to make my own bracket for that too.The tank was a pain in the ass.Heated it and pushed it in,a bit to far.Ended up leaking so had to put some bog stuff on it.Holds 0.7 of a litre before I get fuel coming out of the tap.
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

^^^post up those pics, that could be really useful for me...thanks bro! don't hurt yourself like me right away...My bike feels like a 450 with a 2 strock engine in it for sure and it's very enjoyable...almost too enjoyable...your bike makes my bike horny...
juddy

Post by juddy »

Balaclava wrote:^^^post up those pics, that could be really useful for me...thanks bro! don't hurt yourself like me right away...My bike feels like a 450 with a 2 strock engine in it for sure and it's very enjoyable...almost too enjoyable...your bike makes my bike horny...

I didnt worry about tapping a thread into the lower mount as it is hard up against the subframe once it bolts up at the rear and the rubber grommet should take up some vibration.Also the hole centre lines up exactly on the wall of the subframe tube so you wouldnt get much of a thread.I spent hours tilting the engine back and forth and trying different ways and trying to use stock parts but that was the best I could come up with.I did weld that semi circle of ally onto the subframe though for the grommet to land on fully.Hope this helps.
trgracing

Post by trgracing »

juddy wrote:
Balaclava wrote:^^^post up those pics, that could be really useful for me...thanks bro! don't hurt yourself like me right away...My bike feels like a 450 with a 2 strock engine in it for sure and it's very enjoyable...almost too enjoyable...your bike makes my bike horny...

I didnt worry about tapping a thread into the lower mount as it is hard up against the subframe once it bolts up at the rear and the rubber grommet should take up some vibration.Also the hole centre lines up exactly on the wall of the subframe tube so you wouldnt get much of a thread.I spent hours tilting the engine back and forth and trying different ways and trying to use stock parts but that was the best I could come up with.I did weld that semi circle of ally onto the subframe though for the grommet to land on fully.Hope this helps.

lovely job, where is your cdi mounted? any pics :D
juddy

Post by juddy »

lovely job, where is your cdi mounted? any pics :D[/quote]

I think I used the 500 rubber mount :? It fitted straight onto the 450 mounting tabs.Just need to lengthen the 4 stator wires,and the 2 coil wires,or make up some bits to go in between.
jws696

Post by jws696 »

hey juddy, can u throw up a couple more pics of ur air box mod , im doing the same conversion , bought a 2000 250 air boot it misses buy a mile , :(
nmdesertrider

Post by nmdesertrider »

I don't think that the solid cradle has to be more work.
Once you get a jig set up for bending the cradle, you never have to do it again.
And you can peel the old stuff out of the pockets with a chisel, I haven't actually done that with the bottom part myself but I think with a little practice it wouldn't take that long.
03 CRF450/85 500
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

jws696 wrote:hey juddy, can u throw up a couple more pics of ur air box mod , im doing the same conversion , bought a 2000 250 air boot it misses buy a mile , :(
ya you need the gen 1 250 boot for a 450 conversion...that's the secret trick to the mod... :wink:
jws696

Post by jws696 »

is that 97-99
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

jws696 wrote:is that 97-99
yes sir it sho is...
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

gen-1 125 boot worked out the best for me on the 2 gen-4s I did.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
south central hoon

Post by south central hoon »

very nice work. can you give us a ride report....how does she handle?
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

dannygraves wrote:gen-1 125 boot worked out the best for me on the 2 gen-4s I did.
ugh isn't it the exact same boot?
juddy

Post by juddy »

jws696 wrote:hey juddy, can u throw up a couple more pics of ur air box mod , im doing the same conversion , bought a 2000 250 air boot it misses buy a mile , :(
That tinypic website seems to be a bit different so got sick of trying to figure it out.The pics I have already posted should be enough really though.I used the 02 cr 250 boot,which is a different part number to the 00 model.Also the gen 1 125,and gen 1 250 are both different part numbers again.Basically my boot ended up with a gap of about 15mm from the 450 airbox on the left,and 22 mm on the right.So I used 20 mm neoprene for a spacer and drilled and tapped 15mm into it from each side.I also used the steel backing on the 250 boot to help pull it up tight and siliconed it as well to the spacer.If you have a look at previous pics you can see how I got rid of the existing studs in the 450 filter cage,and countersunk the holes that bolt into the spacer so the filter would sit flush on that surface.Hope this helps....

Someone asked how it handled. I have only ridden it twice so far as its been a warm summer here in Perth so cant really comment yet.The suspension has been set up by Terry Hays who is one of OZ's best tuners so Im sure once I get some time on it,it will handle well.
oggo69

Post by oggo69 »

impressive build dude .... great work !!!
juddy

Post by juddy »

Thanks oggo.Hey Danny you had problems with the tank leaking too didnt you ? I used loctite stuff,a blue and white strip that you bind together.It didnt work.I also tried devcon 2 pack stuff and that is leaking now too.What stuff worked for you ?
jws696

Post by jws696 »

thanx juddy, ye the first pics u put up were pretty much all i needed , was interested on how it looks on air boot side , my gap is 20mm top 15mm bottom.
think i just got a bit panicy in that post just moked it up and it seemd worse than it was !! :oops:
was going to do more tonight but it was 43 degrees today so iv lost interest ! :flamed:
juddy

Post by juddy »

No worries.

43 C ?? You in Melbourne ?
jws696

Post by jws696 »

adelaide , its ment to b like that all week !!
juddy

Post by juddy »

Fucking croweater hey ! I used to be one of them myself... but WA is much better.
davo77

Post by davo77 »

juddy wrote:Fucking croweater hey ! I used to be one of them myself... but WA is much better.
But South Aussies grow better pot :lol:
juddy

Post by juddy »

This thread is about motorcycles,not pot so I suggest you try chat on a different site about that shit champ.Im not interested in that shit and I dont think my fellow 500 riders are either :cool:
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

Balaclava wrote:
dannygraves wrote:gen-1 125 boot worked out the best for me on the 2 gen-4s I did.
ugh isn't it the exact same boot?
not at all, the 250 and 125 boot are quite different, the 125 hugs the frame and clears the spring better, but the opening is harder to slide over the carb. my gen-4 has the gen-1 250 boot and marshalls gen-4 that I built for him has the 125 boot and his came out much nicer, but mine still works.
Last edited by dannygraves on January 27th, 2009, 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

juddy wrote:Thanks oggo.Hey Danny you had problems with the tank leaking too didnt you ? I used loctite stuff,a blue and white strip that you bind together.It didnt work.I also tried devcon 2 pack stuff and that is leaking now too.What stuff worked for you ?
I nigyvered it :wink: cut up and old 927 bottle, cleaned it really well, scuffed both surfaces and melted a couple 10cmx10cm patches overlapping in different directions and got it so hot the plastic fully stretched over the tank surfaceand settled in the wrinkles for the first layer, then again with the 2nd layer. worked great and actually came out cleaner than before I did it since it smoothed out the bottom of the tank. I had a pin sized hole that developed between some wrinkles while I was shaping the tank and fixed it up just fine.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80