Gen 3 CR125 Build

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

stop at the canadian side, have them record the vin, they check it against fraud for 30 seconds or so, then stamp it and ur good. Usually works slick, but we had one guy who wanted to be a jerk. I'd got the 91 from reno and did all the export/import stuff and brought it in legit, even got the greencard that day. Almost 2 years later and 4-5 times accross with it the dude was dooing his job and checked the bikes to match with the greencards, the 750,'88 500, 02 250, 04 250, and '00 500 were all Canadian retailed bikes and had no problems, BUT the 91 said usa on it, not Canada so he got prying into how it got here and if it was legit, called it in, checked the vin, got eagar and tore up the greencard while waiting for a call back and said we were going to have to unload the bike. Then he got a call and found out it was all proper. He re-issued the greencard (which was dog-eared and ratty but readable) and we were on our way.
south central hoon

Post by south central hoon »

AlisoBob wrote:
robertg wrote:Finally working on it again. I figured out what to do with the rear exhaust mount.
A band clamp...... A friggin band clamp!!!!!!

is this a hardware store part, or where do i get one? it doesn't look like a "hose clamp"....
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Grainger.....
south central hoon

Post by south central hoon »

AlisoBob wrote:Grainger.....
should have known. i will consult the grainger bible....thanks.
robertg

Post by robertg »

It looks like the 125 rads mount slightly higher than the 250 rads. It's hard to get the fasteners to line up for the rad shrouds. I'm going to have to drill another hole for the lower mount.

Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

So you had to modify the mounts for the 125 rads? Or did they just bolt up but because it's a 125 it has that different shroud mount location? I'm just confused... :roll:
robertg

Post by robertg »

Balaclava wrote:So you had to modify the mounts for the 125 rads? Or did they just bolt up but because it's a 125 it has that different shroud mount location? I'm just confused... :roll:
The rads bolt to the frame no problem. they just sit about 1/4" higher on the 250 frame. That's why the bottom shroud mount hole doesn't line up.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

the core length on my 250 rads is 23.5cm, what do those 125's measure?
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

robertg wrote:
Balaclava wrote:So you had to modify the mounts for the 125 rads? Or did they just bolt up but because it's a 125 it has that different shroud mount location? I'm just confused... :roll:
The rads bolt to the frame no problem. they just sit about 1/4" higher on the 250 frame. That's why the bottom shroud mount hole doesn't line up.
Ah i see...are you going to use the stock clip that comes with threads on the rads for the plastic mount?
robertg

Post by robertg »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:the core length on my 250 rads is 23.5cm, what do those 125's measure?
I get about the same, 23.3 cm.
robertg

Post by robertg »

Balaclava wrote:Ah i see...are you going to use the stock clip that comes with threads on the rads for the plastic mount?
I'm not sure yet, I might just drill a hole and use a nut. I won't do anything until I buy or make some rad guards. I can get the screw in the bottom hole, but I have to bend the shroud to do it.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

my rads had both the mount areas broke off, i got the threaded clips from autobody stuff, .80 cents each. and reinforced the outer edge of the rads with 1/8" 6061 that sits in the recess of the rad so its no wider. I've straightened them from bannanas, so if they get wrecked i'll buy more or take em off my 250
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:my rads had both the mount areas broke off, i got the threaded clips from autobody stuff, .80 cents each. and reinforced the outer edge of the rads with 1/8" 6061 that sits in the recess of the rad so its no wider. I've straightened them from bannanas, so if they get wrecked i'll buy more or take em off my 250
did you ever mention to me that you were going to be making rad guards?
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

i was planning on it, made some stainless ones before too, but havent access to the punch anymore. well thats really not the case, the dude with the punch/press has been stickin tight to home and not workin late.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

not roost guards, braces i guess
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

oh ya...but the skidplates is still an ongoing thing?
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

Hey Robertg what is the difference between the gen3 125 shock and the 250 shock? I just got a real sweet deal on a brand new 125 shock and i figured i would buy it because of how good of a deal it was, and i don't mind having spare shocks...Is there any problem with how the 125 shock mounts up compared to the 250? will this cause me any problems with the cases that i wouldn't have already had with the stock 250 shock? :?
robertg

Post by robertg »

Balaclava wrote:Hey Robertg what is the difference between the gen3 125 shock and the 250 shock? I just got a real sweet deal on a brand new 125 shock and i figured i would buy it because of how good of a deal it was, and i don't mind having spare shocks...Is there any problem with how the 125 shock mounts up compared to the 250? will this cause me any problems with the cases that i wouldn't have already had with the stock 250 shock? :?
It bolts to the top of the 250 frame the same as the 125. I don't know if anything is different on the bottom because I have the 125 swingarm and linkage. The spring outside diameter is the same, I can measure the length tomorrow if you want.

The 125 shock is a KYB and 250 is a Showa.
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

robertg wrote:The 125 shock is a KYB and 250 is a Showa.
Is the Showa any better for any serious reason?
robertg

Post by robertg »

Balaclava wrote: Is the Showa any better for any serious reason?
I always thought the KYB was better from what I have read. I think the best shock is the one that is set up properly.
teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

robertg wrote:
Balaclava wrote: Is the Showa any better for any serious reason?
I always thought the KYB was better from what I have read. I think the best shock is the one that is set up properly.

:notworthy:
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
If I wanted a Yamaha I would have bought a piano!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

robertg wrote: I think the best shock is the one that is set up properly.
Jesus H. Christ..... we got some smart Hoon's here......

:urock:
nmdesertrider

Post by nmdesertrider »

From what I have heard the KYB stuff is much easier to work on and 'dial in'

So I suppose your chances of getting right are better with the KYB.
03 CRF450/85 500
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

nmdesertrider wrote:From what I have heard the KYB stuff is much easier to work on and 'dial in'

So I suppose your chances of getting right are better with the KYB.
that's wicked...then i'm extremely happy with this purchase...thanks motha fu!@$as...sorry for hijackin ya thread robertg
robertg

Post by robertg »

I got the motor together and installed. The ignition wires were just long enough to plug in. I used a 2000 CR250 mounting bracket with the 500 box. The coil wires will have to be lengthened about two inches.

I stretched the 125 hoses over the 500 head.