Jumping into a conversion, looking for some advice

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
AMA714

Jumping into a conversion, looking for some advice

Post by AMA714 »

I am going to keep my 2006 CRF 450 and hopefully do a frame conversion from TTM (nicest frame IMO)
I am still looking for the engine and electronics. What years should I look for, and why ?

Thanks in advance

Zach
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

IMO the newer the better. I used a 1990 engine but am not real happy with the gear raitios in the tranny. The 93-01 had the best transmission in my opinion. 4th and 5th gear are a little taller for greater top end speed.
AMA714

Post by AMA714 »

I will be using the bike for MX only so I really dont need the 100mph gearing...lol

Where is the best place to find an engine?
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

Truthfully, check Craigslist. You can find complete running bikes for anywhere from 800 up to 3000. Buy one of those, scavenge all the parts you need, then part it out to off set the cost of your build. As far as the engine goes, 89 and up would be your best bet, The earlier models require you to change the bushing that goes through the case halves for the swingarm bolt.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

JBaze wrote: The 93-01 had the best transmission in my opinion. 4th and 5th gear are a little taller for greater top end speed.
Yup...
south central hoon

Post by south central hoon »

X2 on craigslist.

if you don't need super tall gears then just buy the cleanest one you find.

I run a 92 in my AF, nice bottom end hit. I ride mostly singletrack and technical trails....
kkvslayer

Post by kkvslayer »

JBaze wrote:Truthfully, check Craigslist. You can find complete running bikes for anywhere from 800 up to 3000. Buy one of those, scavenge all the parts you need, then part it out to off set the cost of your build. As far as the engine goes, 89 and up would be your best bet, The earlier models require you to change the bushing that goes through the case halves for the swingarm bolt.
TTM bored my 87 bushings out for 40$ :cool: ,its really no big deal
1994 Heartless CR500R
1986 KX500
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

kkvslayer wrote:
JBaze wrote:Truthfully, check Craigslist. You can find complete running bikes for anywhere from 800 up to 3000. Buy one of those, scavenge all the parts you need, then part it out to off set the cost of your build. As far as the engine goes, 89 and up would be your best bet, The earlier models require you to change the bushing that goes through the case halves for the swingarm bolt.
TTM bored my 87 bushings out for 40$ :cool: ,its really no big deal

There you go dude. So grab any 500 you can get and build it!
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

I'd still go with the taller gears and 95-01.

14/51 but will need two more links for the chain.

Mostly MX too.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

85-87 are the same ratio as the 93-01
only the 88-92 are close ratio
remember to watch out for the magnesium parts and older clutch in the 85-90 bikes (which can be upgraded
prillernut

Post by prillernut »

Hey Zach - I recognize you from over at "vitaldrive" :D

Hey guys, let me ask you a question from another perspective -
What do you consider to be the optimal smoker chassis for a conversion? What are the advantages/disadvantages of a 125 vs. a 250 chassis, and what year(s) should I look for?

I'm asking because I'm shopping for a "new" 2-stroke. I was the OE of an '85 CR500 up until a few years ago when the sportbike bug bit me, and I want to get back in the dirt. Gotta be 2-stroke, and displacement's not really an issue - either 125 or 250 would be fine. I figure I should go ahead and get something that will provide a good base to build a conversion.

I want a 500AF some kind of bad, but I'm gonna have to do it as funds allow. I figure I'll be better off starting with a runner of the preferred chassis and have some fun, while I gather some bucks and then find a motor and do the mods.

Thanks guys,
Tony
'03 Aprilia Tuono
'97 Kaw Concours
('85 Hon CR500R - went to best friend)
'74 Maico 400 (resto in progress)
south central hoon

Post by south central hoon »

prillernut wrote:Hey Zach - I recognize you from over at "vitaldrive" :D

Hey guys, let me ask you a question from another perspective -
What do you consider to be the optimal smoker chassis for a conversion? What are the advantages/disadvantages of a 125 vs. a 250 chassis, and what year(s) should I look for?

I'm asking because I'm shopping for a "new" 2-stroke. I was the OE of an '85 CR500 up until a few years ago when the sportbike bug bit me, and I want to get back in the dirt. Gotta be 2-stroke, and displacement's not really an issue - either 125 or 250 would be fine. I figure I should go ahead and get something that will provide a good base to build a conversion.

I want a 500AF some kind of bad, but I'm gonna have to do it as funds allow. I figure I'll be better off starting with a runner of the preferred chassis and have some fun, while I gather some bucks and then find a motor and do the mods.

Thanks guys,
Start reading dude. all the information you are asking for is here.
prillernut

Post by prillernut »

thanks
Tony
'03 Aprilia Tuono
'97 Kaw Concours
Exnav

Post by Exnav »

What do you plan to do with the bike? Moto, Trails, Dunes, Motard?
Money ain't got no owners, only spenders - Omar Little
prillernut

Post by prillernut »

Hey Exnav,

primary use will be moto, maybe try some hare scrambles. Most likely use will be practice days at mx tracks and places like http://ncmp.net/
Tony
'03 Aprilia Tuono
'97 Kaw Concours
Exnav

Post by Exnav »

I would do a Gen3 125 or 250 for what you plan to ride and the ease of conversion. Lots of build threads for this Gen posted, but by all means, read and decide for yourself.
Money ain't got no owners, only spenders - Omar Little
prillernut

Post by prillernut »

thanks man, I appreciate it! Yeah, it looks like I need to be on the lookout for an '02-'07 250 -
Tony
'03 Aprilia Tuono
'97 Kaw Concours
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

prillernut wrote:thanks man, I appreciate it! Yeah, it looks like I need to be on the lookout for an '02-'07 250 -
Deffinately...