Iowa checking in

A quick "How ya'Do", and a photo would be nice.
Big Zero

Iowa checking in

Post by Big Zero »

I have been lurking around for a while. I had a 94' CR500 several years ago and sold it to get into supermoto. The only reason I didn't just sm my hundo was the lack of sm parts for the older bikes. I could just kick myself for ever selling such a nice bike. I got the 94' in practically new condition (two tanks of gas through it) back in 99' and kept it until 04'.

I played around with the thumpers for a while, but I have always wanted a CR500AF or AFC to woods ride as well as fit with sm wheels and do a little pavement riding. Thumpers were way too much work to keep running in top condition. My old 500 was a change the oil twice a season and put gas in it type of bike. I like to ride, not work on, my bikes. I know that you have to do maintainance sometimes, but not every other ride for God's sake. I have been lurking on the 500 sties looking for another bike. I didn't want to intorduce myself, not actually being a current owner of a CR500.

Anyway, I ran onto a 86' CR500 with a 550 stroker motor I got picked up for $800. I figured it would, at least, make a good donor motor for a beer can project. The pipe on it was killed, so I am searching around for a replecement pipe so I can better eveluate the bike.

I am sure I will be checking back for more info.

BTW, anyone know how interchangeable the liquid cooled motors are? Does the 86' have the same dimensions as the newer mills? I thought that there might be someone out there who wants to sell their older AF roller and keep their motor for a newer conversion. If My motor would fit the frame, that might be an option for me.

Thanks again for the site, good info and good people.

Paul
It's always something!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Your only issues are going to be the head stay ( as the later motors are 5mm taller) and the swingarm pivot bolt ( as the later motors are latger)

Both are easily overcome...

Welcome, bike..or no bike.
Exnav

Post by Exnav »

Welcome and keep checking the Upcoming Rides section for a ride that I am working on for the Spring for us MW Hoons.
Money ain't got no owners, only spenders - Omar Little
Mama

Post by Mama »

Welcome! They let me in and I don't have a bike! I wrench on my hubbys while we save up for toys for the rest of the fam! It is a good site and really good people! Glad to have another! :wink:
A CR500 is a thing of beauty whatever the frame is made of, but me, I'd rather ride a hoon!
teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

Welcome
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
If I wanted a Yamaha I would have bought a piano!
Big Zero

thanks

Post by Big Zero »

Thanks for the warm welcome so far. I actually have the 86' CR500 in my posession, so I officially am a current owner.

I signed up on the "other" site a while back, and had a few guys give me the business about not being a current owner, so I figured I might want to be official before introducing my self in the future.

I look forward to getting to know some of you, and maybe getting a chance to get together for a ride sometime.

Thanks again.

Paul
It's always something!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Re: thanks

Post by AlisoBob »

Big Zero wrote:
I signed up on the "other" site a while back, and had a few guys give me the business about not being a current owner, so I figured I might want to be official before introducing my self in the future.
We dont care.

We would rather have an esthusistatic member building a bike, than a "wanna' be" web rider with a bike, tons of parts, and no sense of humor or direction...

Heres a "Blast ,from the Past".....
http://www.bannedcr500riders.com/board/ ... ondacr500r
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

Welcome. My first 500 was an 87, I've had several since but the 87 was my favorite. I like the color sceme on the older bikes. You should have plenty of time for your build if your weather there is anything like it is here!
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

welcome aboard
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
jEsTer

Post by jEsTer »

Welcome! Ya got a good bike, my previous 500 was an '86. I loved that thing, but when I went in to get a new piston for it I saw the '01 and left Mid Cities Honda with both. I freshened up the '86 and sold it to my buddy. He is thinking of selling it, so I might just buy it back.

One little tip, it is not very hard to adapt late model pegs to the '86. It makes a huge difference. I think I have some pics when I did it to mine. I'll see if I can't dig 'em up...
-Brad-
2001 CR500 Steelie
1999 FXSTB Custom
2004 BMW X5
1994 Ranger Prerunner
1999 XR70
jEsTer

Post by jEsTer »

Haha! I was trying to find the pics of the peg swap and I remember I had sent them to somebody on the "other" site a few years back, looky what I found...

britincali

Contributing Hoon

Gotta love
boost!!!!!

Barstow,CA
wide pegs
Dec 09th, 2004, 11:23am
First off thanks to jester for emailing me pics of his conversion thats what i love about these boards!

Ok now down to it, I positively hate narrow pegs,and the cr series in the 80s had the smallest narrowest pegs ever (what were they thinking???), so I went out to get some wide ones, after winning some crf450 pegs on ebay and hacking at them for 2 days THEY DO NOT FIT so save your money guys!

I went down to chapparel and bought some IMS supersock pegs for an 88-92 (mines an 87), after the spotty kid behind the counter assured me they would fit and he had cross referanced the #s, I found they wont fit (pissed to the tune of $ 80)
So I set at it with the old grinder again, took about 3mins grinding on the frame (no going back after that ) and about 30 secs per peg and there on. I had some old peg springs from my YZ that worked perfect (the cr ones wont work with the new pegs). Guys they are really sweet, they are wider than cr250-450 pegs and are really well made, fit nice and feel awsome, im goin riding on sat an im well and truley looking forward to it.
So just for the book 88-92 Ims superstock pegs are a nice uprgrade for the 87s
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 CR500AF '87 Motor
2000 CR500 '87 Motor

Don't clyde it, ride it!!!! IP Logged

Hey Brit ya still got the pics I sent you almost 4 years ago to the day?
-Brad-
2001 CR500 Steelie
1999 FXSTB Custom
2004 BMW X5
1994 Ranger Prerunner
1999 XR70
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

wow, that was a long time ago... look t how polite he is..... :lol: :lol:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Hellbear

Post by Hellbear »

Welcome! :clink:
sabreguy

Post by sabreguy »

Welcome aboard
88CR500
ROOST ON PEOPLE!!!
jEsTer

Post by jEsTer »

dannygraves wrote:wow, that was a long time ago... look t how polite he is..... :lol: :lol:
Don't you mean, "look how polite he WAS"... :twisted:
-Brad-
2001 CR500 Steelie
1999 FXSTB Custom
2004 BMW X5
1994 Ranger Prerunner
1999 XR70
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

:lol: :lol: exactly! :wink:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

is it really Brit?
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

he used to be all nice and polite... I found his intro post on the cr500riders site a while back and it was soo cheesy... like "I'm so happy to be here...blah...blah...thanks for the awesome site...blah blah" really fucking funny reading it now :lol: :lol:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

dannygraves wrote:he used to be all nice and polite... I found his intro post on the cr500riders site a while back and it was soo cheesy... like "I'm so happy to be here...blah...blah...thanks for the awesome site...blah blah" really fucking funny reading it now :lol: :lol:
Being ( more) sober back then helped too....

:lol:
Big Zero

Post by Big Zero »

I already sold off the 86' CR500 and bought a 92' CR500 to replace it. I also ran onto a guy with a complete 04' CRF450 roller I can probably get into for around $1000. Might be an interesting summer afterall.

Paul
It's always something!
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

AlisoBob wrote:
dannygraves wrote:he used to be all nice and polite... I found his intro post on the cr500riders site a while back and it was soo cheesy... like "I'm so happy to be here...blah...blah...thanks for the awesome site...blah blah" really fucking funny reading it now :lol: :lol:
Being less baked back then helped too....

:lol:

Fixed.
No longer have a CR500.
07 Yamaha YZ250, 17 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
Get on with riding or get on with dying.
https://www.youtube.com/mojoscojo