Header wrap

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
britincali

Header wrap

Post by britincali »

Theres been a few threads lately over on the lightning board about the benefits and negatives, anyone know if the same gains are true to a smoker?

I know all two strokes run crappy untill the pipe warms up so it would almost make sense that the hotter the better, I have zero experience or knowlage of exhaust wraps but thought I would throw it out there....
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

I could see there being a minimal benefit and having it rip up and soak up water and dust and just get nasty. I believe something like a jet hot coating would be more benefical and look a whole hell of a lot better
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Exnav

Post by Exnav »

I can send you some Thermotec wrap to test if you want to try it out. I sell a shit ton of the black 2000 degree stuff in the custom v-twin market.
Money ain't got no owners, only spenders - Omar Little
britincali

Post by britincali »

I kinda want to try it just for shits and giggles but I also dont want to ruin the noleen pipe on the 2000, you cant get them anymore and it seems to really match the portwork.

Water wouldnt be an issue as Id try it on the dunes bike.

I would hate to try it out then a month later remove it to find all the pipe coating cooked off :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

don't be a pussy!
well, I have 6 pipes, so I don't care, we could use my bike as the guinnea pig :wink:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Exnav

Post by Exnav »

Well you two figure out what you want to do and I will dig through my samples and send you some stuff to try.
MICK

Post by MICK »

dannygraves wrote:I believe something like a jet hot coating would be more benefical and look a whole hell of a lot better
Jet Hot produces some of the largest dollar:horsepower gains in the two stroke market. If fourstrokes didn't give everybody such a hard on these days many of you would have Jet Hot coated exuasts right now and we wouldn't be talking about this. Jet Hot yeilds moderate gains per dollar in fourstrokes, but the exaust gases have such an important roll in two stroke performance the results are much greater. Problem for Jet Hot, and thus the two stroke segment, was timing. They came a day late and a dollar short. For those of you who aren't really familiar, Jet Hot is different than others in the fact that they also coat the INSIDE of the pipe as well. The ceramic matrix is much more effective in this manner. Also eliminates rust and corrosion altogether. And dramatically reduces engine compartment temperatrues. Not applicable for the CR500, but boy what a difference on my RC51!! Fuel stays much cooler. I've been pleased enough to the point I'm serieously thinking of haveing them coat the exhaust on my truck. Anyways, haveing Jet Hot coat two stroke snowmobile exhausts is pretty much the norm these days. Ski-Doo is said to be offering two stroke sleds next year or the year after with Jet Hot coated exhausts as standard equipment.
'03 CR500 powered by...umm...a new motor?
Exnav

Post by Exnav »

I have always used these guys for race car headers. http://www.airborncoatings.com/index3.html It seemed to be really good quality and it was close to ship for me. HPC, Jet Hot or Airborn are all pretty good imo.
fastkart

Post by fastkart »

Anybody know what the ballpark cost is to get a 2 stroke pipe coated at Jet Hot?
Exnav

Post by Exnav »

Jet Hot no. But for comparison purposes here is the prices from Airborn.
Go-Kart, Jr. Dragster Exhaust Pipes $20.00 to $30.00 Each
Expansion Chamber $75.00 to $95.00 Each

P.S. wait til next week and ask em' at PRI. booth 2311
Last edited by Exnav on December 4th, 2008, 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
britincali

Post by britincali »

Do they clean them or do you have to send them new stuff?

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
Exnav

Post by Exnav »

britincali wrote:Do they clean them or do you have to send them new stuff?
They are hot tanked to clean them up before the coating goes on. I've sent all sorts of car headers to them, dirty and new in box.
fastkart

Post by fastkart »

Exnav wrote:P.S. wait til next week and ask em' at PRI. booth 2311
That makes too much sense.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

yeah, they should do the same thing as a plater or powdercoater and dip/blast everything before they start be it new or used. I thought I would help out a powdercoater and sand blast my own frame before dropping it off... well, sand leaved a residue and contaminates, so he bead plasted it over anyway :roll: you live, you learn, right!
I might have one of my pipes jet hot coated, one of the fatty pipes, so I can take the coated and not coated pipe and run them side by side for comparisson.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
MICK

Post by MICK »

Exnav do any of the other shops coat the inside as well? I haven't dipped into this market much since I had my RC headers done. But at the time (three years ago) Jet Hot was the only biz touching them inside and out that I found. Cost was $90 not including shipping. No cleaning required. Turn around wasn't great, took three weeks and some change. But I saw on their website they appear to be improving this. I'll tell you with my experience with sport bikes, the Jet Hot coating was arguably the most cost effective improvement. I say arguably because my benefits seem to be temperature related. The longer I ride on the track at a time the more I stand to benefit. I used to experience depressing power loss after 20 minutes, and it didn't seem to matter if I stopped to cool down. Once shit got hot I had to deal with a 15% power loss for the rest of the day. That's no longer the case. Snowmobile magazines have tested Jet Hot coatings against aftermarket pipes. The conclusions have always been stock pipes produce more power with Jet Hot than expensive after market pipes alone. These coatings...Jet Hot, Airborn or whoever, are real cheap and effective performers. A 500 two stroke makes alot of power. More than I use at any given moment. So it's never really crossed my mind to use this technology for this application. However I would sure like to hear what somebody has to say about this on their CR! And I think Danny is a prime target for the cause...
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

it also just so happens that one of my fatty pipes came with one of those shitty guards on it which caused it to get some surface rust... so I guess it NEEDS to be coated now! :wink:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
britincali

Post by britincali »

If I had the cash I would send my pipe in to be coated right now :cry: :cry:

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

the one in question needs to go to dewayne to get a couple dings popped out. I'll send it out to him like next week, then have him ship it to the coating place for me :wink:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Exnav

Post by Exnav »

MICK wrote:Exnav do any of the other shops coat the inside as well?
And I think Danny is a prime target for the cause...
I know Airborn coats inside and out, and didn't you say Jet Hot did too?

Here are the links to ones I know about.

http://www.hpcoatings.com/
http://www.airborncoatings.com/index3.html
http://www.jet-hot.com/
MICK

Post by MICK »

Yes Jet Hot does. Only reason why I chose them three years ago was they were the only place I found that would coat inside and out. I hadn't heard of Airborn back then so I didn't research them. I don't believe HPcoatings would as they were one I looked into. But I would think by now everybody in the biz would do this.

But yeah, I'd be interested to find out what a difference it would make for the the 500. I'm sure it would improve over stock, probably exacerbate the characteristics of any given pipe I would think. Big question always being is it worth the money? In a single cylinder I don't think it would do much, but being a 500cc two stroke might prove me wrong.
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

Does anyone have pictures of ant of the coatings your all talking about?
Exnav

Post by Exnav »

Jbaze - that's why I posted the websites to each company. Pics are there.

I found Airborn out of the back of National Dragster in 95' or 96' and have been using them ever since. All of these companies are probably good though.
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

My bad, I missed that. Those look pretty good really.I was expecting some gaudy spakling looking stuff. Thats nice.
dahondaboy

Post by dahondaboy »

i have a friend who builds snowmobiles and he swears by wrapping his pipes. he claims that the wrapped pipes hit harder and increases the fuel pulse back into the cylinder, myself i have never wrapped a expansion chamber but have wrapped all my four strokes as it aids in scavenging. i have also seen a few kawi triples on the drag strip that have their expansion chambers wrapped, but i said it was just to hide ugly welds or cone sections.
i dont own assault rifles, i own homeland defense rifles!!!!
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

dahondaboy wrote:i have a friend who builds snowmobiles and he swears by wrapping his pipes. he claims that the wrapped pipes hit harder and increases the fuel pulse back into the cylinder, myself i have never wrapped a expansion chamber but have wrapped all my four strokes as it aids in scavenging. i have also seen a few kawi triples on the drag strip that have their expansion chambers wrapped, but i said it was just to hide ugly welds or cone sections.
the wrap deffinately bennifits it, but if its getting wet it'll rust, if its a big pipe that vibs like on a 670rotax single pipe or likely a cr500 It'll wear the pipe thin and crack more. I ran a wrapped pipe on my 670, the bro didnt. Mine was always cracked and junk. The pipe expands and contracts more than you'd think. But on the later rotax with twin pipes wrapped were never a problem.