tubing thickness

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
ridin4fun

tubing thickness

Post by ridin4fun »

I'm starting my 2002 CR250 conversion this week and I have a question. I notice Balaclava, Algava, and Danny Graves, among others, have used pegs to fill in the lower cut. What size is that peg? Or what is the wall thickness of the tubing so I can calculate? I know Bob posted that his tubing is .125, but is that the same as the factory stuff? My goal is to get a piece several inches long milled before I cut the frame and then cut two pegs from that and cut/file them to fit. Thanks for any help. I cut the front mounts and cleaned and laid everything out today, and I'm hoping to knock this out this week while I'm off work. And thanks to all of you guys for all the pics and detailed build reports. I'll try to add to that. This site is awesome.
davo77

Post by davo77 »

this is the front mount section i removed from a gen3 250 frame.... hope this helps :cool: Image
ridin4fun

Post by ridin4fun »

I appreciate the tip, davo...can't get much clearer than that pic. Thanks for the help.
robertg

Post by robertg »

I used 1" tubing and a 3/4" bar stock. It's kind of hard to slide in the bar, you have to cut the corners off on both ends. I'm sure there is a few pictures here.
Last edited by robertg on November 24th, 2008, 10:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

my bar stock was 3/4''X1 1/4'' or something weird like that...i know the 3/4'' part is almost the perfect size to slide in the stock tubing, you just have to grind it to size as there are little globs of alum inside the stock cradle that prohibit the exact amount of movement you want, realistically if you could get a 3/4'' X 3/4'' bar it would work with minimal amounts of trouble...it actually took me alot longer then i wanted to get those extensions in the cradle! but it's mint when you get it!
robertg

Post by robertg »

I just edited my post. For some reason I had the wrong numbers in my head.
ridin4fun

Post by ridin4fun »

Thanks for all the replies. And. yeah, 3/4" is close followed by an ass-load of trial and error shaping. Nothing difficult, just time-consuming. I've got the top of the Y ready and the pegs almost done. Had to stop...gotta sleep sometime.