Replacing Cracked Left Case

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
CR500PHIL

Replacing Cracked Left Case

Post by CR500PHIL »

I read the forums on splitting cases. My question is how difficult is it to replace a cracked stator side case? I mean just to tip the motor on it side and replace the stator side case without removing the transmission etc. Is this possible? Is there a way to remove the stator without modifying timing? Pitfalls? Special tools? I know flywheel puller. When you remove the stator side case will everything inside fall together or stay in place so you can just fit the new case on?
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

you can remove that side without taking the trans all apart. just remove the jug and sprocket and flywheel, remove all bolts and hookup balancer puller to split.
Me personally, I like to repair the cases so as not to have to spend $$$ on a new case. where is the crack?
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

Be sure to look for washers that may have stuck to the left side case bearings. Other than that, the transmission gears should stay basically intact.

Best of luck.
south central hoon

Post by south central hoon »

dannygraves wrote:you can remove that side without taking the trans all apart. just remove the jug and sprocket and flywheel, remove all bolts and hookup balancer puller to split.
Me personally, I like to repair the cases so as not to have to spend $$$ on a new case. where is the crack?
JB baby.
CR500PHIL

Cracked Case

Post by CR500PHIL »

dannygraves wrote:you can remove that side without taking the trans all apart. just remove the jug and sprocket and flywheel, remove all bolts and hookup balancer puller to split.
The crack is right in front on the sprocket - it has been repaired with JB Weld and held for a long time. Perhaps I just need to remove the JB Weld and redo it. I notice a small weep in it now that the previous owner plugged with silicone. This is the reason I got the motor cheap - all else is great.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

dude, I'd just fix it and keep riding. watch you'll replace the case for $$$ and lose a chain and be in the same boat again :lol:
I personally actually weld up my cases for repaid, but that spot might be easier to JB.
I have 2 motors where some piston frags damaged the cases and I welded them up just fine :wink:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
CR500PHIL

Post by CR500PHIL »

dannygraves wrote:dude, I'd just fix it and keep riding. watch you'll replace the case for $$$ and lose a chain and be in the same boat again :lol:
I personally actually weld up my cases for repaid, but that spot might be easier to JB.
I have 2 motors where some piston frags damaged the cases and I welded them up just fine :wink:
With my luck you are probably correct - cheaper and easier too. Besides I want to spend money on the rest of the conversion at this point. :)
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

yup :wink:
I always forget when I'm doign a conversion about the little things that nickel and dime you like chain, sprockets, bars, throttle tube, levers, tires/tubes, etc.etc.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
CR500PHIL

Costs

Post by CR500PHIL »

dannygraves wrote:yup :wink:
I always forget when I'm doign a conversion about the little things that nickel and dime you like chain, sprockets, bars, throttle tube, levers, tires/tubes, etc.etc.
Before I ever got a motor and started and I started collecting things of that nature - Pro Tapers, throttle, new pegs, Renthal Gold oring etc but I am sure the cost will add up when the bike comes together.
nmdesertrider

Post by nmdesertrider »

the cases are pretty good quality casting material and weld up really easily.
03 CRF450/85 500
kball1313

fixing cases

Post by kball1313 »

Welding is my first choice, as the case material is of decent quality. For a tougher spot like that where the failure isn't a big chunk i'd use *belzona.*
I can't tell you how good this stuff is and once it's cured, is harder than steel. I've seen it used in the most extreme applications with no problems, ie-3500hp 16cyl. diesel engine blocks. Anything from cracked water jackets to pitted cyl. liner registers. I've used it personally and this stuff makes JB look like silly putty. I let it cure partially, then work the area to roughly how you want it. Once set up do the final grinding/contouring.

http://www.belzona.com/prod1k.aspx