Pics of cylinder

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
87CR500Rider

Pics of cylinder

Post by 87CR500Rider »

Some pics of the cylinder and piston off my 87'. I bought the bike, rode it, and am rebuilding it now and here's what I found. I'm assuming it's been resleeved. Check out how the sleeve looks where it meets the cylinder. I've never had a resleeved cylinder so I can't tell you what a good one looks like. I can tell you there isn't a port on it that's smooth. The clutch basket dang near looks brand new too. Not a groove on it.

Here's the piston.

The head.

dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

looks fine to me, cleanup, bore and run it!
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
MICK

Post by MICK »

If you cleaned the jug and head first if would be a good deal easier to see what's been going on :wink:

I think your sleeve fitment looks normal. It looks to me that it's been bored once already and the exhaust bridge wasn't relieved and they didn't chamfer the port edges or not well enough. I think you smeard the exhuast side of the rings and the intake side of the piston looks cracked as well inside the skirt. I beleive that clean spot on the intake side of the head represents a hot spot. It was mentioned on NASCAR TV that teams try and get the heads to look as uniformly as possible. And that spots as seen on your head was indication of a no no. But I don't know man :lol: I'm just a dirt bike nerd! But I've never seen a spot like that on a head before...
'03 CR500 powered by...umm...a new motor?
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

ive seen quit a few cracked cast pistons, yours is one of the worst ive seen. the crack appears to go up to the top of the wrist pin, i think it would of exploded before too much longer. these pics arent the best but it appears it may be a resleeve, it also appears they didnt bothered to match it up very well at the bottom transfer area though. do you know the history on the crank, rod, tranny bearings/seals ? now is a good time to have a look at everything if your unsure of their condition
britincali

Post by britincali »

Looks stock to me :? :? :?

You are running rich as fuk too, after you get it running again spend some time jetting and find out how much power you've been missing :wink:
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

britincali wrote:Looks stock to me :? :?
ive seen a few cylinders and never known honda to send one out looking like this. you can see where the sleeve doesnt match real well into the transfer. his other photos shows the other side of the sleeve appears to be alittle worse. at any rate, a bore job/new piston will have it running good again. personally i would take a dremel to that cylinder before assembling it again, thats just me though.

typically heres what honda does, they quickly run a grinder over all the ports to take off the big edges if the sleeve isnt perfectly aligned

87CR500Rider

Post by 87CR500Rider »

Thanks for the input. The bike was rich as you can see. It was that way when I got it. It is jetted correctly now. I probably put about 10 hours time on it since I got it and that's being generous. I've had it for about a year. Basically I was getting it running, saving money, finding parts, stuff like that. I have no idea of the history of the bike but the crank WILL be replaced. It "feels" tight but I'd feel alot better knowing it's got a new one in it. I mean, who knows what it's been through. You guys see what I'm talking about with the sleeve. It just looks weird to me. None of the ports line up. If you stick your finger in there, you can feel a ridge. A good sized ridge. That's got to be robbing some power. The cylinder measures a hair over 89mm so it's a stock bore. My plan is to send the topend to GSS and have it bored.
MICK

Post by MICK »

100hp honda wrote:You can see where the sleeve doesnt match real well into the transfer.
100hp honda you got way better eyes then I do. I understand what you're saying but I just don't see it in the pic?? It looks fine to me?
87CR500Rider wrote:It just looks weird to me. None of the ports line up. If you stick your finger in there, you can feel a ridge. A good sized ridge.
I'm not a CR500 veteran by any stretch of the imagination. I've only rebuilt four late model CR500s including my own. And honestly they were all like this. I have always been suspect of the port alignment and assumed that matching these ports during machining was responsible for a good deal of the post engine performance. I can tell you my motor right now does not have very well matching ports. And it's of course a stock motor as were the others I've wrenched on.
britincali

Post by britincali »

Heres some of the bottom of mine for reference....

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
britincali

Post by britincali »

Shit pics sorry :oops:

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

MICK wrote:
100hp honda wrote:You can see where the sleeve doesnt match real well into the transfer.
100hp honda you got way better eyes then I do. I understand what you're saying but I just don't see it in the pic?? It looks fine to me?
you cant see the sleeve sticking past the transfer area about 1/16" ? either hondas qaulity control in 1988 was shit, or someone did a shitty re-sleeve. ive examined several newer model stock cylinders and they had the ports matched pretty well.... considering they were done on a mass production assembly line
90cr500guy

Post by 90cr500guy »

I agree with Mick. Looks like a stock sleeve from these pics.
In my experience with Honda, they may do a quick buzz if thee sleeve ports are off, but they dont spend any real time on them
Brit's queer
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

ive had 2 bikes with stock cylinders, and ive bought another spare stock cylinder....all things considered, the ports were matched pretty well to the sleeves in all my experiences, maybe your experiences have been different. heres another photo of a stock jug... you can see the grind marks, they match the cylinder to the sleeve right at the factory

if you cant see these grinds marks, you definatly need glasses :?

100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

90cr500guy wrote:I agree with Mick. Looks like a stock sleeve from these pics.
In my experience with Honda, they may do a quick buzz if thee sleeve ports are off, but they dont spend any real time on them
yes they do a quick buzz if necessarry.....what they DONT do is leave big ridges :?
90cr500guy

Post by 90cr500guy »

I can not tell from that pic, how much difference there is in the height between the sleeve and the cylinder port.
If you can see that from that pic, then you must be able to tell what color panties all the women you see on the street, are wearing.
Brit's queer
MICK

Post by MICK »

90cr500guy wrote:...If you can see that from that pic, then you must be able to tell what color panties all the women you see on the street are wearing.
:lmao:

I can see the quick grinding done to your exhaust port as mine looks similar. But I can't tell a 1/16" inch from photos. But my jug does have several port edges with a 1-1.5mm raised lip as do others I've handled. Again it's another QC issue I believe stems from owning a motorcycle no longer in production. I don't doubt Honda stopped screening as many parts from production lines for the CR500 in the mid-late '90s. Parts that used to get rejected I'm sure were facilitated through the assembly line to save a penny. Production discrepancies are moderately common with these bikes from what I gather.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

90cr500guy wrote:I can not tell from that pic, how much difference there is in the height between the sleeve and the cylinder port.
If you can see that from that pic, then you must be able to tell what color panties all the women you see on the street, are wearing.
bunch of old blind mofos around here. can you see this ?..its a camel toe ! you do know what a camel toe is right? :lmao:

teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

I DO!
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
If I wanted a Yamaha I would have bought a piano!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

:roll:
MICK

Post by MICK »

100hp honda wrote:...bunch of old blind mofos around here. can you see this ?..its a camel toe ! you do know what a camel toe is right? :lmao:
Yes thank god I do! The one you got there looks like it needs rebuilt too. About 3" of slop right there isn't it? :nanna:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2MqftlZyVM
"Your coochy, your flapper you're showing off your snapper. Your camel toe, it looks so right so baby let it go. Looooks like a big taco....:lmao:
Last edited by MICK on October 11th, 2008, 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
90cr500guy

Post by 90cr500guy »

100hp honda wrote:
90cr500guy wrote:you do know what a camel toe is right? :lmao:

yeah... I saw one of those once. Think it was your old ladies :cool:
Brit's queer
blownbillybob

Post by blownbillybob »

i see what 100 hp is talking about but what does the other side look like??????? to me that sleeve looks stock!!!!! not every cyl cast is the same your going to get flaws here and there plus core shift. if it were a resleeve you would see the second sleeve in the OG, especally theres no grinding done to the cyl. when you resleeve you dont completly bore out the old sleeve you need some material to press the new one into

OH and nice TOE
00'cr500 trailclimber
93'cr500 beater
92'cr500 hillclimber
08,KTM SR500r hillclimber (conv)
89'cr 500 bent frame
04'crf230(wifeys)
02' cr125(sons)
02,pro jr 50 open exh. hill climber(sons)
02'sx65(sons)
03'xr50(sons)
south central hoon

Post by south central hoon »

Bore, hone, clean up the ports with a dremel, debur and ride. :wink:
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

are you talking about the cylinder or the camel toe??? :wink:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--