Riding in Moab

Is your kid Student Of The Month? Beat up Student Of The Month? Lets hear all about it!
alexh

Riding in Moab

Post by alexh »

I don't know where to put this, so here goes. Some friends and I are planning a ride in Moab in October. We'll be there for the weekend (Thursday to Sunday). I'm looking for resources on places to ride there. There will be a few bikes and a utility quad going, skill ranging from newish riders to fairly experienced. Thanks for the help.
MICK

Post by MICK »

The times I went we gathered local trail maps from outfitters and things. A GPS is highly recommended, the trail maps give you way points along the routes to follow. Most of the time these are unnecessary because you can locate tire marks to lead you in the right direction. However sometimes these are not available and you need a GPS to steer you on course. Provided you get a map and GPS you won't have a problem at all finding your way around. Be careful for cliffs. They seem to appear out of no where? I don't know how many times I was riding and didn't realize I was a bike length from a 300-400 foot drop off. The color and texture of the rock has a similar affect as riding on snow. Very poor sense of distance and depth. But the riding is extremely unique and exciting I thought...as a rider acclimated to the trails of the North West. It's stupid how much ground and with such little effort a dirt bike can cover VS a 4x4. I think we rode every popular trail Moab has to offer in less time it takes a 4x4 to negotiate just ONE trail.

'03 CR500 powered by...umm...a new motor?
alexh

Post by alexh »

Cool, thanks. About the distance you can cover, I live in NE Nevada, and we regularly go on 50 mile rides in an afternoon. I guess that all of the 4X4 trails should be open to dirt bikes too?
MICK

Post by MICK »

Yeah you can ride on all the trails. There are obviously some you're not going to find a 4x4 on. I thought it was neat Dirt Bike did a ride report on Moab and printed some pictures that the photographer was standing in the exact same spot as some of our pics. I wasn't running one on my KX, but a few guys ran trials bike tires and they had 100% hookup...like almost climbing totally vertical walls hookup! Just something to think about...
Last edited by MICK on September 16th, 2008, 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'03 CR500 powered by...umm...a new motor?
ridin4fun

Post by ridin4fun »

Moab is incredible. It sometimes seems otherworldly, like riding on another planet. Most fun I've ever had on a bike. When (not if) I go back, I'll definitely be on trials tires. Our "guide" took us to a nearby area called Dabinki (sp?) Wash which was way fun...slickrock like Moab, only more of it and not regulated or patrolled as far as we could tell. We got lost and would have been in trouble if not for a GPS unit. From Moab, take 191 across the river north to I70, then west several miles and it's on the left. Sorry I don't have any better directions but I was just along for the ride and not paying attention (as usual). I'm sure a local can get you there. It's worth checking out for sure. If you have time, also check out the Rabbit Valley riding area just north of Moab on the UT/CO border on I70....more varied terrain, but just as scenic and fun to ride. Enjoy.