More bike blues

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

Just pulled the plug, very wet! Used the hand and kicked it over a few times to empty out the cylinder of any gas. Stuck in the used plug from yesterday and wham, fired up first try after maybe 4 inches of soft downward movement on the kicker. Spun it down the block and back, turned it off and back fire, back fire. Pulled plug, WET; stuck in the one I took out 5 minutes before and fired easy on the first kick, turned it off and back fire, back fire every other kick :roll:

Thinking I just need to start hitting the Vodka :lol:
"When your riding your living... Everything else is just waiting!"

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
Travis

Post by Travis »

Well, it sounds like you just need to quit turning it off. Just keep her running and you wouldn't ever know anything was wrong. :lol: :lol:
Travis

89 CR500
01 Banshee
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

Travis wrote:Well, it sounds like you just need to quit turning it off. Just keep her running and you wouldn't ever know anything was wrong. :lol: :lol:
Till I stall it and have to push the cow thru 2 miles of woods back to the truck :D

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
Uzi

Post by Uzi »

eyesky2002 wrote:Just pulled the plug, very wet! Used the hand and kicked it over a few times to empty out the cylinder of any gas. Stuck in the used plug from yesterday and wham, fired up first try after maybe 4 inches of soft downward movement on the kicker. Spun it down the block and back, turned it off and back fire, back fire. Pulled plug, WET; stuck in the one I took out 5 minutes before and fired easy on the first kick, turned it off and back fire, back fire every other kick :roll:

Thinking I just need to start hitting the Vodka :lol:

If the plug is getting that wet I would think that its flooding itself due to a bad needle or float level. When you cycle it through with no plug is it pumping out any raw fuel? Have taken off the pipe any fuel in it?

Also what year is your motor? I've got a spare ignition everything from the coil down to the flywheel stator and CDI too. If you need to borrow it let me know.
1982 XR200
1985 CR500 86' Motor
1990 CR500 85' Motor
2000 CR250
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

Why not start it and then turn the gas off and let it run until the bowl is empty. Turn the gas on for just enough to fill the bowl a bit and then try to start it.

If it starts right up and runs fine, you've pretty much eliminated electrical problems and pin-pointed a float/needle/seat problem.

DISCLAIMER: My "logic" is always subject to being completely WRONG! :wink: :lol:
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

eyesky2002 wrote:
HrcRacing wrote:
100hp honda wrote:whats your airgap ? .020, .030, .040 ? like i said, alot of people dont know what it is or how to check it :wink:
What is it and how do you check it? :wink:
x2

Nothing about it in the service manual. Are we talking the gap between the flywheel and the pickup that triggers the spark?
the '92-'96 manual doesnt mention it, but the '85-'89 does. says .03 on the older bikes, i have mine alot smaller than .03 but set yours where you feel it should be. the airgap may not be your problem but it could cause issues as the signal has hard time jumping large gap. backfiring is a problem that ive never seen on the newer engines, whether its carb or electrical is hard to say without being there first hand, im just trying to put out options for you to look at
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

did you bother to make sure everything is well grounded ? im sure many people have chased the white whale only to find out they had faulty ground. look at everything before throwing in the towel and forking over cash for possible unecessary parts (carb)
Last edited by 100hp honda on August 25th, 2008, 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

100hp honda wrote:im just trying to put out options for you to look at
That's why I posted it here, we have a wealth of knowledge between us all; hoping someone had the same issues and could point me to an easy fix.

The whole fresh plug thing still points me to the carb, but then again I am on my 5th shot :P

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

Uzi wrote:
If the plug is getting that wet I would think that its flooding itself due to a bad needle or float level. When you cycle it through with no plug is it pumping out any raw fuel? Have taken off the pipe any fuel in it?

Also what year is your motor? I've got a spare ignition everything from the coil down to the flywheel stator and CDI too. If you need to borrow it let me know.
No raw fuel comes out, but you can smell fuel when I do. Have not took the pipe off, but when I tried to start it today my first kick was a back fire so I stopped at 1 kick and touched the pipe on the first bend and it was warm from the back fire :?

The engine is a 94, I know my carb is crap; no matter what I need a new one. John at Sudco was on another line, so I need to call back; but that is my first plan of attack. Gonna have him overnight or at least 2 day it to me. If I still have issues I may take you up on that offer before I blindly spend $300 on electronics.

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

eyesky2002 wrote:
100hp honda wrote:im just trying to put out options for you to look at
That's why I posted it here, we have a wealth of knowledge between us all; hoping someone had the same issues and could point me to an easy fix.
its usually a easy fix, diagnosing the problem is often the hard part depending on the persons mechanical ability. keep searching- im sure its something you over looked
Uzi

Post by Uzi »

eyesky2002 wrote: If I still have issues I may take you up on that offer before I blindly spend $300 on electronics.

Yeah just let me know if you need any of those ignition parts or the whole thing to test. I've got all in a box and off of the bike right now.
1982 XR200
1985 CR500 86' Motor
1990 CR500 85' Motor
2000 CR250
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

Just ordered me a new spec jetted 39 PWK from John; had it shipped 2 day, so hopefully I will know by Thursday if this pig will fly!!!! 3 weekends left on the local MX circuit; would love to do all 3, praying I get to at least run one!!!

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

Ordered Tuesday, arrived today... New 39 PWK spec jetted for my bike!

Stuck in a clean plug and it took a few kick, fired up with a whole new sound. Adjusted idle up and let it warm up. Shut it down and fired 2nd kick, crisp and snappy. Repeated several times and started almost every kick and never more then the 2nd :shock: Sounds ready to rock, hope to get it out this weekend!!! Sure it will require a little fine tuning, but it runs like a whole new engine now :D

A million thanks to John at Sudco for the kick ass service and unbeatable price!!!

New 39 PWK :shock: and old 38 PJ :roll:
Last edited by eyesky2002 on August 28th, 2008, 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

Shit, that's awesome man. Glad to hear it took care of the problem. :clink:

PS: What'd you pay for it?
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

Just under $200.00 w/ UPS 2-day.

Plus I bought the rest of my gear and it will be in tomorrow. Leatt, Fox Launch Suit, knee guards, long socks and some riding undes!!!

And...

A brand spanking new kick starter and OEM lower chain roller from HPD should be showing up next week :o

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
Uzi

Post by Uzi »

Good to hear you got it figured out.

What are you going to do with the PJ?
1982 XR200
1985 CR500 86' Motor
1990 CR500 85' Motor
2000 CR250
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

eyesky2002 wrote:Just under $200.00 w/ UPS 2-day.

Plus I bought the rest of my gear and it will be in tomorrow. Leatt, Fox Launch Suit, knee guards, long socks and some riding undes!!!

And...

A brand spanking new kick starter and OEM lower chain roller from HPD should be showing up next week :o
Dang, Santa's coming early to your house. :wink: That's a really good price w/2-day UPS. I think I paid right at $200.00 for mine, regular shipping.
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

Uzi wrote:Good to hear you got it figured out.

What are you going to do with the PJ?
I stuck 5 180 grain slugs in it :lol:

No clue, threw it in the PWK box for now; may just hold on to....

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

Just a quick ride report, took it to the practice day at a local MX track; it was like a new bike. Doing 3rd gear starts out of the box and 4th gear wheelies up to the first corner. No bog, no hesitation just raw, insane power. Did stall it a couple times, but started easy; thinking a 13oz FFW might help a little with my riding style to keep running!!!

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF