Buying used.

Is your kid Student Of The Month? Beat up Student Of The Month? Lets hear all about it!

Buying used

Pay full asking in cash
7%
Offer a little less than asking price and haggle
50%
Offer half of asking price and haggle
21%
Or like justin ask if they will take payments by check
21%

Total votes: 14

britincali

Buying used.

Post by britincali »

Ok guys quick poll, when buying something used you always have an asking price. Do you......
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Before I vote, let me explain something..

Brit and I had a discussion today, I told him that if something is as cherry as advertised, and priced right.. I gladly pay the asking price....

EXAMPLE:

Say some one has a "In -The-Crate" '01 CR500 for sale, never assembled..... and is asking $3000 for it. Brit says your a fool for paying it.

"Maybe the poor sucker is really down on their luck, and would take $2800 for it!!!" , he says with a gleam in his eye.

I say thats downright disrespectful, and If I had a '01 Steelie, still strapped down to its shipping pallet, and some dickhead tried to Sand-Nig me for another $200, I'd kick his fukin teeth in.

If someone has the decency to advertise something honestly, and prices it right.... do the white thing......

:wink:

o.k........ I voted.
ou812

Post by ou812 »

I'm with bob on that one but would add, if it is advertized as great shape and you get there afther a long drive and it is no where near close to the said shape , I will leave a low ball price and tell the guy to take it or phone me when he gets real.
britincali

Post by britincali »

Quit doing the american thing and trying to rig the results bob......

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

ou812 wrote:I'm with bob on that one but would add, if it is advertized as great shape and you get there afther a long drive and it is no where near close to the said shape , I will leave a low ball price and tell the guy to take it or phone me when he gets real.

Yup....
Ported&Polished

Post by Ported&Polished »

Funny you mention sand nig deals. Once I was down on my luck and was selling a 91 Zuki quad racer. I bought it new, pampered it, and wanted 2000 for it. A sand man came to my house and jewed me down to my rock bottom price of 1800. But this wasn't enough for him. He had to squeeze me, asking for me to take another 50 bucks off, saying "it's only 50 bucks". I said to him, right, it's only 50 bucks, so pay it or go away. He paid and I remember him saying to me in the typical accent these folks have, "In my country we haggle". I told him, well welcome to America buddy! Now, some 15 years later, I look for similar quads all the time, and they can't be touched for less than 2500 bucks, let alone 1800. :evil:
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
TYSTYX

Post by TYSTYX »

To me an asking price is the starting point for negotiations. Most people who sell stuff alwys ask for more money than what they really want. That way if they get talked down in price they are actually getting what they wanted for it.

For example:
A dude wants to sell a cr500 for $2800, so he asks for $3100. If he gets the full $3100, great......and if he gets talked down to $2800, he still wins.
99 CR500R
2006 Honda CBR 1000RR Fireblade

My Drinking team has a Racing problem !

iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

When I bought my 250 the guy was asking $2800. Said he has a 500 (which I didn't see) and the wife is making him sell one or the other. Everything looked great. I slight glance a the sproket showed a little wear. I offered $2500 but we settled on $2700. After getting it home and further inspection I determined that the chain and sprokets were so worn that they had to have come off the 500. So the hundred in saving went to new ones.
Trinity Racing mild porting FMF
62 pilot, EGH needle, 172 main
03 Gen III CR250 frame

2013 Dodger Charger 5.7 Hemi

http://www.prisonplanet.com

Your Amsoil Customer # 350882
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

I don't even bother to look at used unless it looks like a great deal before I see it.

I don't like messing with stuff unless I have to. I have more important things to do.
britincali

Post by britincali »

MojoScojo wrote:
I don't like messing with stuff unless I have to. I have more important things to do.

So when you buying a 650?........

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

britincali wrote:
MojoScojo wrote:

So when you buying a 650?........
What good is a toy thats not fun?
britincali

Post by britincali »

All toys are annoying at times.

Look at the biggest "toy" mankind has ever had, the pussy. Fun as hell and then it starts having an opinion and getting on your tits...........
Last edited by britincali on August 9th, 2007, 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

And thus you illustrate my point...

Why do you think I bought a 500? Best of both worlds of course! Low tinker quotient, high fun quotient! XR650 = low tinker as well, but fun quotient is just not there.

Besides, I'm too much of a wuss to ride a big bad 650. :P
rabbit

Post by rabbit »

AlisoBob wrote:Before I vote, let me explain something..

Brit and I had a discussion today, I told him that if something is as cherry as advertised, and priced right.. I gladly pay the asking price....

EXAMPLE:

Say some one has a "In -The-Crate" '01 CR500 for sale, never assembled..... and is asking $3000 for it. Brit says your a fool for paying it.

"Maybe the poor sucker is really down on their luck, and would take $2800 for it!!!" , he says with a gleam in his eye.

I say thats downright disrespectful, and If I had a '01 Steelie, still strapped down to its shipping pallet, and some dickhead tried to Sand-Nig me for another $200, I'd kick his fukin teeth in.

If someone has the decency to advertise something honestly, and prices it right.... do the white thing......

:wink:

o.k........ I voted.

Gotta go with Bob on this one. Brit face it your penny pinnnching used car salseman who would jack your mom for beer money and then argue over the price of the beer!

Call it a character flaw if I sell something i sell it for what I think is fair and stick to the price. When I buy used I size up the person and the bike/ car whatever and if it's fair then they get they get what they ask for. i don't haggle, I hate haggling.
britincali

Post by britincali »

I love haggling!!!

:D

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Heres a great example of a bike I just bought today....

1990 CR500

Second owner, bought it in 1991

Original pipe , ran about 3 hours + silencer

Paddle

Triangle

Lots of sprockets

Original owners manual + service manual.

Current registration and Green Sticker.

This is a cream puff..... $1,000

I gladly handed the man his $1k. No haggling needed. If I did, he would probably have pushed it back in the garage, and given me the finger..... which he would have had every right to do.

I was going to mate this motor with the A/F roller Jay just stole out from under me by about 2 minutes..... My buddy Joe was going to have a sweet ride to replace his KTM 300EXC he sold about a year ago.....

Too bad Jay bought it from Mike, I was hopeing Jay was going to have a "RJerks" experience...... but no such luck with Mike....

He's a 100% , straight up Hoon.....

:(

( :wink: )
ou812

Post by ou812 »

Sweet deal, you would never in a million years find that deal in my area.
bigpower

Post by bigpower »

I always have a number in mind for whatever I look at, regardless of condition.

The '01 500 I'm picking up here very shortly, I'm paying a little more than what I'd like to. My bros widow, I'll give her what she's askin. It's the right thing to do, 'specially when he told her what to get for it.

I've seen guys ask the moon for total turds, and look insulted when I give them the distance. The distance between their number and mine. Some time ago on the other "planet", I posted some scuttlebutt about a '91 I was thinkin bout getting my mitts on. Fuggin turd city, but the asshole thought I was some kind of loser and tried to tell me he had $4000 in motor work when the clutch actuator seal was leaking like a sieve, absolutely NO compression to speak of. Said $1100 was the bottom line. The distance, about $600. If someone paid more than $500 bonos for it, they should really look at themselves in the mirror. I usually come up with a steal here and there, one of my better bike steals was the complete(and RAN!) ratty 78 YZ125. If its free, its for me.

As far as that limey bastards concerned, he's a goddam wheeler dealer, and looks like he's pretty good at it, so more power to him.
Thats how you get ahead

Nice bike Bob. That would have got those numbers from me

And we call 'em "Dune Coons"
Kalkaska, the inbred capital of Michigan. ....a place you can walk into the greeting card aisle and find one that reads "Happy Birthday Uncle Dad"
coley13

Post by coley13 »

i try to haggle but i'm no good at it. in the end i usually end up paying what's asked. but thats why i'm such a nice guy. then when it comes to selling anything i usually let stuff go for a song becuase when i want to sell something i just want to get rid of it.
13 isnt unlucky i just keep falling off