lightened flywheel? pros and cons

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
aloha450x

lightened flywheel? pros and cons

Post by aloha450x »

what would the pros and cons to making the flywheel lighter for road use?
Ported&Polished

Post by Ported&Polished »

The pros are, you can crank a wheelie in any gear at any speed. The cons are, you can crank a wheelie in any gear at any speed. :D
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
AWD

Lightened flywheel

Post by AWD »

Ported&Polished wrote:The pros are, you can crank a wheelie in any gear at any speed. The cons are, you will crank a wheelie in any gear at any speed. :D
Done that, been there... Not an user friendly mod!

I made, yes made parts from -81 450, -82 480, -83 480 fit together, and one mod I had to do, was to mill 3mm per side of the 480 crankshaft. The 480 crank won´t fit in the 450 cases otherwise. I had to use them as other cases were so out of shape.
Other parts I used were -83 480 ported top end, carb and pipe, -82 frame and plastics(brilliant shape), suspension was mixed from -82 and -83 and so on...
What did i have after that? Bike was nearly uncontrollable. It had revs up instantly, if you cracked the throttle. No matter what gear you had in. Bike didn´t corner at all: If you cracked the throttle during turn it woud crank itself up to straight ahead position, or wheelie like nothing! :shock:

Only place you could ride it fast was large fields.

Nobody was able to control it. Some test rode it and most came back in fear after one lap. :twisted:

I kinda miss that beast... My -85 500 is tame compared to that Frankenbike. Not that it hasn´t showed any bad behaviour, but it´s possible to ride fast :!:
mega491

Post by mega491 »

Try a 250 alternator and flywheel in er.
MICK

Post by MICK »

I think it would be a good idea in moderation. Not something a person who likes flywheels would want to do, but otherwise I think taking a couple onces off the flywheel would be nice.
'03 CR500 powered by...umm...a new motor?
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

lighter flywheel will amplify the stalling issue many people already complain about. not to mention it will flip you on your head twice as fast :wink:
AWD

lightened flywheel

Post by AWD »

100hp honda wrote:lighter flywheel will amplify the stalling issue many people already complain about. not to mention it will flip you on your head twice as fast :wink:
Yup!
That´s something I forgot from my earlier post...
Tight turns were a pain in *** ´cause it stalled so easily, if you got off the throttle, or just a little too much and it wheelied crazily :shock: Just remember that I rode it in the tight woods :whoop:

But anyway, that was the bike that got me to love these beasts :devious:

That´s a modification that you need to really want, ´cause it´s irreversible unless you have another flywheel to swap in when you want it.

Of course you are not able to take such an amount of weight off from flywheel only that I took from that crank... that was about 370grams(0.8 pounds?) So it wouldn´t be such an extreme mod.

You could do that same by installing inside flywheel type ignitionsystem. So it wouldn´t have anymore same flywheel effeckt even the weights might be the same.
ISBB

Post by ISBB »

100hp honda wrote:lighter flywheel will amplify the stalling issue many people already complain about. not to mention it will flip you on your head twice as fast :wink:
Never stalled on me once in the dunes... Usually goin too damn fast :P
97 Steel 500 that wants to be an AFC
aloha450x

Post by aloha450x »

you got a lightened flywheel?
Ported&Polished

Post by Ported&Polished »

Try an 85 flywheel, they are the diameter of a dime hehehehe.
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
ISBB

Post by ISBB »

aloha450x wrote:you got a lightened flywheel?

no i was refering to the "COMMON" stalling problem that is said to be increased with a lightened flywheel.. I never had my bike stall on me once.
97 Steel 500 that wants to be an AFC
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

teemtrubble

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:56 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bruddah! wtf! find something to do with yourself already....

I got an idea take your wheels apart throw all the pieces in a box shake it up and then pull each piece out one at a time and try to put the spokes and nipples back in the same holes

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
If I wanted a Yamaha I would have bought a piano!

...im still laughing at this everytime i see it :lmao:
aloha450x

Post by aloha450x »

haha
kanecr50094

Post by kanecr50094 »

FLYWHEELS ARE USLESS ESPECIALLY STEALIE OR WHAT EVER ,MINE ONE CRACKED THEN I HAD TO REBUILD THE MOTOR BECAUSE THE MAIN BEARING WAS WOR OUT ON THAT SIDE ,DONT LIKE FLYWHEEL WEIGHTS,JUST THOUGHT I WOULD SAY THET
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

i'm willing to try the light 88 crank, with the 125 ignition, and 500 cdi, should be rangy!
aloha450x

Post by aloha450x »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:i'm willing to try the light 88 crank, with the 125 ignition, and 500 cdi, should be rangy!
adam we are not quite sure that the 88 and 89 crank is the lightest. like danny said they might have been adding weight the whole time. but i will try to figure it out. i have that 87 crank coming so i will weigh it when it gets here. now we need someone to weigh the 86 crank, 88 or 89 and a 90 and this will gives us the answer. also i believe the 125 ign is to revvy and the motor will not be able to rev as high as the ign. from what i undestand the 250 is better. and you have to swap the cdi and flywheel as well. unless you have an 86 and you can just swap the cdi. is this correct danny? also correct me if im wrong the 86 motor already revs faster than later years due to the shorter rod and possiably the lighter crank. so danny has a 86 with a 250 ign and a 500 flywheel. holy shit!! imagine if he put the 250 flywheel on there as well. so in theory danny has the nastiest motor you can have. aside from porting and nitrous and all that jazz.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

I was trying to make the 125 stator and flywhel fit, but run the 500 cdi, still might go for it on the ol '81 450 engine i have. I'd had all them dammn engines thru here and never weighed the crank, dammit! I've got the scale for measuring conn rods recip and rotating seperately,should weigh a crank properly, but no i dont have a loose 86 to weigh. Wont b fare just throwing it on a scale becasue we know the rod weight is less. the 125 flywheel i wanted to use is 538grams and 77.5mm o.d.. I'll have that '88 apart next week and git er weighed
pstoffers

Post by pstoffers »

86 crank and rod I have is 10pounds 4.25oz hope this helps
NAHA PRO HILLCLIMBER #216
LIVIN THE DREAM!!!

NOTHING BUT GREEN LABEL BLENDZALL!!!

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/P ... /Home.aspx
http://www.pro-hillclimbers.org/
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

I didnt know your triple beam scale went that high.....

:roll:
pstoffers

Post by pstoffers »

AlisoBob wrote:I didnt know your triple beam scale went that high.....

Now now brown cow...... :roll:
NAHA PRO HILLCLIMBER #216
LIVIN THE DREAM!!!

NOTHING BUT GREEN LABEL BLENDZALL!!!

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/P ... /Home.aspx
http://www.pro-hillclimbers.org/
aloha450x

Post by aloha450x »

AlisoBob wrote:I didnt know your triple beam scale went that high.....

haha damm he aint bullshiting. he is fucking with pounds yo. hey how about breaking me off a pound of that sticky. haha
atank

Post by atank »

While your at it, send me 1/4 lb. :cool: