porting?

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
ou812

porting?

Post by ou812 »

O.K. so I picked up a extra barrel for my general use 2001, I've always used a local guy in the past but want to try someone else just to test out the differants. So you guy's on the west coast side in the lower 48, can ya give me a coulpe of names of first rate places to get my barrel bored and ported. I Don't want a hill climb/ sand drag motor, I'm looking for a good all round general use motor. I don't do slow single track stuff so a good strong mid is more to my liking.
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

Well there are others besides a quad place, :lol: to do port work. At the time the only place I knew who has experiance with 500 motors, namely Suzukis LT500 quad was Trinityracing. You won't find anything about porting a 500 on there website. But if you do send it, tell them (Harry the Owner) Steve with Amsoil sent ya.

Its a mild port job and I'm happy with it. Had to richen the needle two sizes to keep the lean pinging away. As long as I don't muff the start at a sand drag and the gearing is near the same I can usually walk away from a stock motor.

I just had the top redone after three years by them who ported and bored it back then. Asked for 3.5 thou clearance and got it. BTW no oil holes are drilled in the Wiseco piston either. :lol:
Trinity Racing mild porting FMF
62 pilot, EGH needle, 172 main
03 Gen III CR250 frame

2013 Dodger Charger 5.7 Hemi

http://www.prisonplanet.com

Your Amsoil Customer # 350882
bigpower

Post by bigpower »

Leave it stock and gear it. For sure 15 up front, 47/48 out back.
You'll be surprised and dollars ahead. Just my opinion.

I had Gorr do my '98 some time back, the "coveted" "Mo Betta Everywhere", and it's real strong everywhere. I do the singletrack, but it's not so slow. I rode a '95, all stock except pipe, with 15/45 gearing that I really liked.
www.eric-gorr.com

Dunno, guess you can never know til ya try it. We've got a new addition coming into the family this week, an '01, that is gonna stay stock and be my new rider. Jr's getting the niner. :P
Kalkaska, the inbred capital of Michigan. ....a place you can walk into the greeting card aisle and find one that reads "Happy Birthday Uncle Dad"
Ported&Polished

Post by Ported&Polished »

Porting in stages is weird to me. It's either ported or it's not. Hog that sucker out, get a pipe, run some race gas, and flog it. I won't suggest my porting dude because everyone thinks their guy is the man, so just find someone who has done it for a long long time.
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
britincali

Post by britincali »

I spent probalbly 4 hrs on mine going gently with an air die grinder and a burr tip, I port matched the exhaust to the flange cleaned up the intake, knife edged the bridge, chamfered the ports and cleaned up the transfers. I dint change the port timing whatsoever and it runs about the same as the eric gorr port job on my steelie.

IMO the exhaust is the worst part of the casting I was able to remove a good 3-4 MM of material just to get it smooth on the transition to the manifold.
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
ou812

Post by ou812 »

Ya, I've got a 87 motor in my 00 stealie it is like Brit discribed and it rips along pretty good. My 01 stealie is super low time (about 3 hrs) and i've got it jetted spot on but it just is plain boring, almost 4 banger like. I could go the same route on the barrel I got for the 01 but I kinda wanted to see if some extra good port guy can give me something the is better then the " mo better " stuff. But without the drag style in your face all or nothing kind of power.
bigpower

Post by bigpower »

ou812 wrote:Ya, I've got a 87 motor in my 00 stealie it is like Brit discribed and it rips along pretty good. My 01 stealie is super low time (about 3 hrs) and i've got it jetted spot on but it just is plain boring, almost 4 banger like. I could go the same route on the barrel I got for the 01 but I kinda wanted to see if some extra good port guy can give me something the is better then the " mo better " stuff. But without the drag style in your face all or nothing kind of power.
You're askin for the moon.
Kalkaska, the inbred capital of Michigan. ....a place you can walk into the greeting card aisle and find one that reads "Happy Birthday Uncle Dad"
ou812

Post by ou812 »

Yes but thats all part of being old and dumb :doh:
bigpower

Post by bigpower »

ou812 wrote:
Yes but thats all part of being old and dumb :doh:
Well, you can work with dumb.

Seriously though, a Mo Betta might be right up yer alley. The mid and top are about as good as it gets without being confined to just one end or the other of the spectrum. The narrowing of the rear transfer ports smooths out the power delivery on the bottom, and the work done to the exhaust port completes the package. Think its widened by 4mm and raised 1.5mm.
As in, once it starts to get into the lower part of the midrange, you better hang on, cause it'll get to the top in a damn hurry. Racing fuel is not required, but it seems to run best on a 2 to 1 mix of 93 pump and 110 race fuel, about 98.5 octane. I'd avoid a RAD valve, unless you don't mind putting 2-3 sets of reeds in/yr. They just dont seem to last in the CR(my experience)
My set up with the porting
.020 over, clearance at .0032(a loose 3)
Wiseco piston
39.5 PWK running 45 pilot, 168 main, DGN needle, airscrew at about 3/4 turn, depending on temp at an average altitude of 1400'
STOCK! reeds :D :D :D
PC pipe/FMF Turbine Core SA
Steahly 13 oz flywheel weight(Really made a difference thru the tight stuff)
15/48 gearing

Hey, alot of guys have thrown some shit at Gorr in the not so distant past, but he does good work. Send it to him, and wait. If you don't bother him, less chance he'll turn into an erect Richard, not that he would anyway. You'll need to send him the cylinder and exhaust manifold. Forget what the price was offhand, but I think you'll get the whole shot, including piston and gaskets, for around $350USD shipped.
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

I'll second what BigPower said. I also have the Mo Betta.

I really like the power delivery on mine. I had some material removed from the head on mine so I could get away with pump gas. If I feel like it, I have a stock head to throw back on it. With the stock head and some good gas, the thing just breathes fire. Wow.

I'm a clutch abusing singletracker by the way, but this motor works well no matter what I'm doing.
ou812

Post by ou812 »

Ya I saw your pics, thats what I've been riding lattly, with lots of steep washed out creeks ect.

So O.K. I'll give the Mo Better a go, I'll give ya some feedback once it's on, but my current top end is fine so I won't be installing the other barrel until the end of this season
ou812

Post by ou812 »

Is appears Mr. Gorr does not answer the phone or answer email, gee maybe all the flaming he has gotten is true.
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

I just had a YZ80 done by him. It will take a few days, but he'll answer his email and give you an address to send the stuff. If you're in a hurry, he's not your man.
bigpower

Post by bigpower »

MojoScojo wrote:I just had a YZ80 done by him. It will take a few days, but he'll answer his email and give you an address to send the stuff. If you're in a hurry, he's not your man.
Patience Grasshopper!

The Mojo speak the truth.

He's been thru a couple relocations in the recent past, but you'll be taken care of. Business is a little different these days, but the quality of the job will be second to none
ou812

Post by ou812 »

I've sent 2 emails, one last week and one this week, well I'll wait them. Not that I'm in a hurry but I just need to know if I should send a piston with the barrel as it does need a first over.
britincali

Post by britincali »

He keeps everything needed in stock, I just sent my barrel and head. Came back with a pre-drilled piston and gapped rings.
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok