crappy Excel wheels???

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
Wheelie-Gene

crappy Excel wheels???

Post by Wheelie-Gene »

Since my old XL600 already had a 17" rear rim, I was shopping for a 17"er for the front. I've seen many bikes on the forums that had Excel rims, so that's what I ordered from the good folks at Pro Cycle.
Well......I bead blasted and powder coated it to match what I have on the rear. I laced it up and I couldn't believe how out-of-round it was at the seam weld (weld seam???). I trued the thing the best that I could by splitting the difference between the dip and the wobble. It's close enough that it won't cause any problems, I'm just disappointed in the quality of what I got. Is this on par w/Excels, or is there a high-end Excel line also??? I called the parts dude at Pro Cycle and he confirmed that Excel's process does leave more to be desired. He didn't try to talk me out of purchasing the Excel, he sold me what I was asking for.....It's all in the fact that if you buy cheap, you get cheap.

Now I'm making progress on my conversion, I did some research on rim makers and decided on a set of Sun rims. I was impressed when the 3.5" front wheel trued up nicely (almost too easy). I was amazed when I spun the 4.25" rear wheel in the truing stand for the first time. It had a little wobble and a slight hop, but the rim was straight. After some careful adjusting I got it to run perfect. I did more research and found out that Sun spins their wheels in a lathe after production. No dips at the seam........ I can't believe it......The little extra that I paid for the non-Excel "upgrade" was well worth it.
The gold anodizing option really looks sweet. Can't wait to see how it looks when the bike comes together.
2nd gen SSS street hooligan
83 CR480
83 XL600
97 VFR750
Kawasaki H1-F
Suzuki Titan
HondaHarley
83 CB1100F
arleybeer40

Post by arleybeer40 »

:worthless:
Brit must be gay because he always says hes gonna have a fag
ctatv

Post by ctatv »

no problems with my excels

Ported&Polished

Post by Ported&Polished »

That's first time I ever heard someone complain about Excells. I also think Sun is good, and maybe the very best is a little company called DID.
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
Wheelie-Gene

Post by Wheelie-Gene »

Since I 'coated the Excel, it wasn't returnable. It didn't pose any danger and I wanted to ride, so I settled w/what I got. Bad thig is...I can spy down beside the tire and the fork and see the wobble in the tire (from the dip in the rim). Can't feel it on the highway so it all seems to be good.

Pics???? I'll take some short vid clips and post what I have, as soon as I can get around to it.

Yeah, D.I.D. is a good litle hole-in-the-wall company that's been around for a while. Suns are made in CA (good 'ol American quality), Excels are Japanese.
Maybe the dude at the rolling machine had other things on his mind and I got a bad one.
Just poor quality control in my opinion...

Pro Cycle's spokes are top quality. I hit each one w/a polishing wheel and they shined up like chrome.
2nd gen SSS street hooligan
83 CR480
83 XL600
97 VFR750
Kawasaki H1-F
Suzuki Titan
HondaHarley
83 CB1100F
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

Came up just a little short on the Perris triple. Not mine, rider didn't crash either. :shock:

BIGWORM500

Post by BIGWORM500 »

Now thats a snapped wheel .Damn. :cool:
2003 AF 500
2004 CRF 50
1979 XR 500 road and trail
500hp 68 Camaro
ctatv

Post by ctatv »

wow ^^^
1990 CR500 Street legal Supermoto
DOHCFOX

Post by DOHCFOX »

Shoot! And I've always jokingly called Takasago rims, "Eat-a-taco" rims! :shock:
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

WOW :shock:
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
MICK

Post by MICK »

Ouch...see that's why I'm chicken shit to do a triple where I ride. I get visions of unspeakable horrors!

But historically I've felt that Excel offers really good stuff...I've never seen or heard of someone unhappy with their product. Maybe their 17" S/M line is a little sub par?

The 2.5x19 I laced late last year basically trued itself while I turned the spoke wrench. Very easy install.
'03 CR500 powered by...umm...a new motor?
Mad Dog

Post by Mad Dog »

So let's see.
There's Excel/Takasago, Sun, D.I.D.
Any others?
'We are motorcycle people; we walk tall and we laugh at whatever’s funny. We shit on the chests of the Weird….' HST
PowerFiend

Post by PowerFiend »

MICK wrote:Ouch...see that's why I'm chicken shit to do a triple where I ride. I get visions of unspeakable horrors!

But historically I've felt that Excel offers really good stuff...I've never seen or heard of someone unhappy with their product. Maybe their 17" S/M line is a little sub par?

The 2.5x19 I laced late last year basically trued itself while I turned the spoke wrench. Very easy install.
The Excel SM rims are better than Behr. The Behr rims are soft and dent easy.
1997 CR500R + 2002 CR250R = 2002 CR500RR
PowerFiend

Post by PowerFiend »

Mad Dog wrote:So let's see.
There's Excel/Takasago, Sun, D.I.D.
Any others?
Yeah, the Pro Wheel that is busted above. Also the Warp 9. I have always heard that the old DID dirtstars are better than the Excel's, but they don't import them anymore.
1997 CR500R + 2002 CR250R = 2002 CR500RR
kanecr50094

Post by kanecr50094 »

I HERD HERE IN AUSTRALIA YOU CAN STILL BUY THEM DIDS
dahondaboy

Post by dahondaboy »

yup light dosent always mean strong, and I have an xr600r, with that kind of weight I would never put excels on it.
The xl and xr's are tanks! you could put a solid steel wheel on it and not notice a difference :lol:
but seriously I have did gold rims on mine off'n a 70's xr500. there isnt that much weight difference between the vintage did's and an excel.
but the did is at least 10 tims stronger and more forgiving to improper spoke tightness. i have seen 2 exploded excel rims from bad landings but only a dent in a did!
i dont own assault rifles, i own homeland defense rifles!!!!
kanecr50094

Post by kanecr50094 »

i got a takasgo from a yamaha tt or it one of them i think and it has a lip on the shoulder of the rim ,well i juust got some spokes for me honda and put them into it [laced up etc]the nipples are bigger on the hondas and the angle for the spokes to line up to the honda hub is,every 2nd one has to be drilled ,easy] then turn arround and do the same.then you have to by eye drill each one when it is nearly laced up because as you pull it into align some spokes will need a bit more of an angle to be drilled,so anyway the spokes cost me 100 bucks just nickel steel,stainless are weeker.bead blasted hub,polished rim new bearings seals,all up on the track again for $120 ,see if i can get a pick of it to yas