Justin's Gen 3 A/F conversion

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
2weelz

Post by 2weelz »

Very nice! (Borat voice)
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

Nomadic Cycle Racks wrote:...it just barely makes contact with the frame and is totally rattle free at this point with the shrink tube.
Yeah thats what mine did. I finally changed it when I had the motor out for a top end.
pimp559

Post by pimp559 »

Nomadic Cycle Racks wrote:Everything went together pretty well during the build. No major hiccups or re-gringing on the welds. Tolerance is very close in some parts but thats how these things go!

Here she is...the lady in red.

Project Started 1/21/07

Finished today, 2/1/07.

...Not bad for working out of a short bus garage.

All in all I estimate the project stole 35 hours of labor from me. Well worth the outcome. And the price is right too! After selling everything from both bikes, and keeping copious records of all expenses, I have an investment of $2525 into the entire project...not too shabby!

:headbang:

It's hard to tell from the pics how the right side number plate fits with the exhaust hanger you used. Can you take a close up of that area to show how it fit up? I'm looking at using the same mount as you did but mine seems to stick out and push the number plate out. Nice bike by the way, can't wait to get mine rolling!!
Member #1 Obama haters club (join below)
http://www.bannedcr500riders.com/board/ ... highlight=

If it ain't a CR500, your not worthy!!!
Friends don't let friends ride steelies!

Parenthood is a controlled state of insanity!!!!
ZEROFEAR66

Hey nice job!!!

Post by ZEROFEAR66 »

I looked at that and said...HEY...that one looks like the one I did!

Looks great!

I just picked up a Gen 3 Cr 250. ...roller.....for.....

600 bucks....
:shock:

Now all I need is the Engine.......
:bash:
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

nice
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

I'm clearencing my frame for the same style tubes u installed for exhaust clearence, but need to know something, the flange for the exh has 2 spring mounts on it, do you have the flange on so that the mounting hole without the tab is in the top left position, and the springs go under the bolts? i havent recieved my flange yet, but know what it looks like.
Nomadic Cycle Racks

Post by Nomadic Cycle Racks »

Okay maybe my response is too late but this is what I did....

The exhaust flange can mount 3 different ways allowing multiple mounting positions of the exhaust spring lobes. In MY case (because I didn't have ample clearance)..and I can't emphasize this more...I rotated the flange to the right one position. This leaves the spring lobes at the 2 and 6 'o clock positions. Lastly, I pie-cut and welded a grade 8 lock washer at the 10 'o clock position (where the lobe should be without rotating it). Also I mounted the factory double-spring bracket at the 6 'o clock position with the stock 6mm hardware.

....So....this plan of attack may work for you, it may not, but what I like about this setup is that it still allows all 4 springs to be utilized; granted it is difficult to mount the pipe with little to no clearance. I believe I had to install the springs and THEN bolt the exhaust flange. Hope this helps!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

I wish I had a photo.... the EARLY exhaust flanges had the spring holes BELOW the two upper mounting holes.

There is a guy on Trace's site that sells aftermarket aluminum flanges, I beleive he makes them both ways, early and late model style.

This might be the hot ticket for someone with limited spring clearance.
dubious01

Post by dubious01 »

bump for my own selfish uses.
Thanks for posting this info for us. Invaluable.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

dubious01 wrote:bump for my own selfish uses.
Thanks for posting this info for us. Invaluable.

MANY old threads have great info in them.... its why we keep them around...

:wink: