Ready to start Gen2 conversion

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
conrad5

Ready to start Gen2 conversion

Post by conrad5 »

Just got it yesterday. $1500 and I already have a buyer for the engine at $600. Ebayed a lot of the '88 donor 500, but still have a frame and swingarm with linkage and brake, if anyone is intrested. I will start with the conversion next week. I'll post some pics later. Thanks. Great site by the way.[/img]
Ported&Polished

Post by Ported&Polished »

Looks cool, I dig the woody graphic, it's big compared to most. And whats that red wire thing on the front forks?
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
teamdns

Post by teamdns »

Ported&Polished wrote: And whats that red wire thing on the front forks?
it might be the race ready honda pull cord...since the kicker is no where to be seen :D

Post by conrad5 »

LOL! The Red cord is my security device. And the kicker is on the 500 already. I thought I read on here somewhere that it would work. I'm glad you like it. I was tickled to find it close to home. A good cleaning and it'll look like new.
Ported&Polished

Post by Ported&Polished »

conrad5 wrote:LOL! The Red cord is my security device.
Otherwise known as a red shoelace. :D Seriously, my cable is at least 20 times thicker than that, and I keep my bike in a locked garage. :o
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
conrad5

Post by conrad5 »

Yeah, security upgrades are in order.
conrad5

Post by conrad5 »

Just got these drawn up. Starting this weekend on the actual machining. Things aren't happening as fast as I had hoped, but they are happening. I have enough material to make several sets, and probably will, post up if you want some of the extras. I'll let you all know how many I wind up with.

Image[/img]
conrad5

Gen Project

Post by conrad5 »

Finally got back to work on the 500 project. Had time to mill a new "Y" out of 6061AL. Removed old "Y" without cutting any of the factory tubes. I got a lot of it done before I realized I hadn't taken any pictures. Sorry about that, but this is where I'm at now.

Radiator is not welded on yet. It will only be a half inch higher than it was stock.

[
img]Image

Cool picture of my mounts and "Y".

All ends of the Y had posts that fit inside the factory tubes. Yes, it was a bitch to get it in place with those things on it, but I feel it wil be worth it.

Thats all for now. I'll remember to post when I get the radiators stitched up. Later Hoons!
Nate

Post by Nate »

looks sweet
--------www.UK2stroke.freeforums.org----------------
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

If thats all fill, where the top of the "Y" meets the down tube, I dont think its going to last.

Why did you go to all the trouble to make a billet Y, but then make it too narrow?

You say it indexes everywhere, even on top?
conrad5

Post by conrad5 »

No, not just all fill. There's a large lug inside that top tube. When I got it all together and laid a bead around it, I felt like I should go around a couple times since that tube was 1/4 thick. Here's a .jpg rendering of the piece.

Image[/img]
conrad5

Post by conrad5 »

BTW - What makes you say it's too narrow?