Service Hondas "Improved Ignition" vs OEM

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

My gen-4 is gonna be street legal so, I say I get to cut in line! :wink:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
crashing_sux

On the fence

Post by crashing_sux »

I probably won't be in the majority saying this but I'm still on the fence as to which way I'll go. 200 watts sounds nice, but 130 watts is probably enough for my needs and will fit under the stock cover which is a plus for me.

The other biggie with electronics is how well it will be supported. I know SH may screw up from time to time but they'll be around in five years. As cool as it is that someone will turn out a few for us if this isn't their primary business will we be able to get support for it if things go wrong?

Or is the concept so standard that I could take it to a shop local to me (like Trail Tech who happens to be 10 miles away) and have them fix it if something dies.

From the past two years doing the 24 hours of Starvation Ridge I have seen that aftermarket electronics and lighting in general seems to have a fairly high failure rate.

Big power at what will likely be lower cost is appealing though. Is it just a copy of the E-Line design (not a bad thing in my mind) or something whipped up from scratch?
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Re: On the fence

Post by AlisoBob »

crashing_sux wrote: I know SH may screw up from time to time but they'll be around in five years.
S/H is just the reseller... thay have NO CONTROL over avalbility.

Ask Jay Lewis or Mike Stiles how "promptly" their issues are being handled..

Weeks and weeks have gone by... neither is any closer to being resolved.

Mike had to borrow an used OEM setup from a member just to be able to ride his BRAND NEW S/H bike....

Think about that for a while....
crashing_sux

Post by crashing_sux »

I've thought about it, but their supplier has been around or ages as well. Even E-Line, while having discontinued their CR500 alternators said they still will support them. Guess I've just been burned a few times in the past by people who were nice enough to support a project that interested them, but then a year later lost interest. I can't blame them, I'm just wary.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

I've seen Mikes TTM unit... Its not home made, but I dont know if Mike wants to reveal his electronics supplier.

Its not British...Its high quality Italian, thats as far as I will go.

Its the real deal.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

Mike won't leave any hoons hanging... that more than I can say for every other lighting coil kit out there! Mark me down for qty 1, Mike! :wink:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

Well if longevity is an issue we've only been in business 50 years 5 months and 29 days and counting.

Our mission statement is..."Where Innovation and Engineering become Reality" Our products speak for themselves and our engineering resources are bar none.

Your right about electronic failures especialy in an event such as the 24 hours of Starvation Ridge thanks for pointing that out but, who has built something that is bomb proof yet? I maybe wrong but I'm betting no one has.

Feel free to call me if you have any questions or concerns and I'll be glad to personally assist you

One last parting note SH doesn't build those ignitions Electrosport does and that's not SH's primary business either :wink:
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
If I wanted a Yamaha I would have bought a piano!
teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

AlisoBob wrote:I've seen Mikes TTM unit... Its not home made, but I dont know if Mike wants to reveal his electronics supplier.

Its not British...Its high quality Italian, thats as far as I will go.

Its the real deal.
No I don't but, they've been in business for over 80 years hopefully they'll be around in five years!
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Almost any alternator failure can be directly traced to a overload condition somewhere in the harness..... like a direct path to ground.

If the unit fails, look in the mirror.
crashing_sux

Post by crashing_sux »

Good to hear all of the votes of confidence! Update us when you have prices and I probably be in line for one.

I was aware of Electrosport building the SH stuff. That was actually a plus for me, maybe I've just had better results with Electrosport that the rest of you guys but over the years I've had a couple of their parts on my street bikes when OEM failed and never had problems with them, lasted longer than OEM for me.
crashing_sux

Post by crashing_sux »

AlisoBob wrote:Almost any alternator failure can be directly traced to a overload condition somewhere in the harness..... like a direct path to ground.

If the unit fails, look in the mirror.
You must mean premature failure? These things do tend to have a fixed lifetime when used. Living in Alaska for 20 years I've seen about a zillion failed alternators on stock cars and I didn't see anyone pointing the finger at Ford, GM, Toyota, etc.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Usually the alternator is still fine.... maybe the rectifier or voltage regulator failed....

Alternators are pretty foolproof.
teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

crashing_sux wrote:Good to hear all of the votes of confidence! Update us when you have prices and I probably be in line for one.

I was aware of Electrosport building the SH stuff. That was actually a plus for me, maybe I've just had better results with Electrosport that the rest of you guys but over the years I've had a couple of their parts on my street bikes when OEM failed and never had problems with them, lasted longer than OEM for me.
I like Electrsport's stuff too it's normally good stuff that's what doesn't make sense to me.
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
crashing_sux

Post by crashing_sux »

AlisoBob wrote:Usually the alternator is still fine.... maybe the rectifier or voltage regulator failed....

Alternators are pretty foolproof.
Interesting. With the number of failures I saw in that 24 hour race maybe people should start wiring two regulator/rectifiers up switched, then if they conk out flip a switch and be good to go.

I saw an inordinate number of KTM's without lights, just figured it was a KTM electrical problem. It sounds like you are more of the mind that the average KTM owner is just a little dumber than the rest and is overtaxing their system?

I'd have to think most of those guys are just running what TrailTech or Baja Designs tells them they should run though, so maybe the aftermarket is overestimating how much a KTM can handle. I have overheard more than one KTM owner with no lights grumbling about their crappy lighting coils stock, you hear a lot of pissing and moaning when you are sweeping and the racers have to follow you back to the pit on your light :)
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Batteries fail al the time off road... due to the repeated "shock" type impacts. A failed battery whips out the charging system quick.

Light filiments break too...

Dont confuse no lights, with no power...
crashing_sux

Post by crashing_sux »

No batteries for me then. Right now I ride my CR every year at the 24 hour race but ride an RMX or KDX at night. I'd love to be able to ride the CR all night this year. Just picked up a step seat hoping that will help me stay in the saddle a few hours longer too.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

You dont need that battery anyways..... no starter.

Save the weight too....

:idea:
DOHCFOX

Post by DOHCFOX »

I wonder if AJ would sell just the Electrosport stator and flywheel without the CDI ignition?
DOHCFOX

Post by DOHCFOX »

lewisclan wrote:Mike @ TT is making me 2 units,
I currently have
2 S/H units well kind of
1-E-line
1-35w POS

So with the perseverance of a machine shop with a rider owner TT will be soon machining out some 200w lighting coils for the cr500.
Not available anywhere on this earth new.

get in line suckers
Where do I sign up? Any idea what these units are going to cost?
britincali

Post by britincali »

DOHCFOX wrote:I wonder if AJ would sell just the Electrosport stator and flywheel without the CDI ignition?

I think they have to be used together.
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
DOHCFOX

Post by DOHCFOX »

britincali wrote:
DOHCFOX wrote:I wonder if AJ would sell just the Electrosport stator and flywheel without the CDI ignition?

I think they have to be used together.
I wonder why AJ's stator would be specific to his CDI unit? I mean, the only thing the stator does is supply power...
M.F.D.B.

Post by M.F.D.B. »

Its the timing that matters...
Faster then Speedy Gonzalez, slower then the Road Runner!!! MEEP MEEP

2002 CR80
1999 Cr500
2003 CR250R
2005 CRF250R
2006 YZ450F
2005 CBR1000RR
1997 Banshee
redrocket190

Post by redrocket190 »

The 18 month experiment with the Electrosport ignition is concluded. Having returned a loaner stock ignition to Mr. Lewis, I installed the second Electrosport ignition set sent by Service Honda. Zip - no spark at all. Tried swapping components with the orignal set - same result.

Went on the Pinnacles ride, and installed a brand new stock Honda ignition in the Staging Area. Bike started first kick from cold. It has never ever done this previously ever. Then started with 1-2 kicks all day. Sweet.

Major hat-tip to Mike for getting me the Honda parts at short notice. Electrosport ignitions are going back today.
Michael Stiles
2007 Honda CR500R-AF
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

redrocket190 wrote:The 18 month experiment with the Electrosport ignition is concluded.....
I find it insane that it went on this long, and the resolution was you having to purchase a replacement OEM Honda ignition.

Perhaps Service Honda should extend an similar offer to all those unhappy, and ship out replacement OEM ignitions on a exchange basis.
teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

redrocket190 wrote:The 18 month experiment with the Electrosport ignition is concluded. Having returned a loaner stock ignition to Mr. Lewis, I installed the second Electrosport ignition set sent by Service Honda. Zip - no spark at all. Tried swapping components with the orignal set - same result.

Went on the Pinnacles ride, and installed a brand new stock Honda ignition in the Staging Area. Bike started first kick from cold. It has never ever done this previously ever. Then started with 1-2 kicks all day. Sweet.

Major hat-tip to Mike for getting me the Honda parts at short notice. Electrosport ignitions are going back today.
Your welcome Mike that's how we roll here but, all suppliers should only take one to two days for parts and if they don't, you have the wrong supplier. Eighteen months What the fuck are you kidding me! I had no idea... Call me whatever you want on this site or any other site where I come from that's called "BULLSHIT!" and an ignition that has parts that have a primary design for an ATV can't be turned as many times with a kick starter as you can with an "electric starter" plain and simple.
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)