Gen 2 help needed

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
kball1313

Gen 2 help needed

Post by kball1313 »

Gen 2 specific seems to be the hardest to find on the board. I got my gen 2 all mocked up and i'm not seeing what i've read. It seems like a lot of guys use the stock lower eng. mounts on gen 1/2 bikes. If I do that the front mounts will be into the frame. I mean, the frame tubes have to be ground to open up the proper distance for the front bolt hole. The premade mounts can't just lay on the frame tubes and be welded up. The other thing i've read is that the headstay is a straight shot to line up with the frame mount. I have about a 15mm offset when the frame is bolted to through the swingarm and to the bottom mount. It can't move side to side from that position because it is located by the bottom mount. Am I misled or are the other posts wrong somehow? I don't know if this is the same for gen 1's. I'm going to try to keep the Y where it is and just make the room on the bottom and reinforce the top after it's done.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

not enough people have done gen-2s for us to really know, my cousin (hoofarted) has been a lazy ass and hasn't started his. as far as I know, the cr250 motor is the same mounts wise, so the lower mount and swingarm bolt should be the same situation. the swingarm bolt should need a 6mm and 4mm spacer on each side to line up right and the front mounts should have just enough room for the bolt itself to fit through, but no where near enough for the bolt head. This is why the gen-1 front mounts are really thick, to put the bolt head on the outside of the frame.
15mm isn't muh offest for a headstay, I would put some AL 1/4 sheet in a vice and bend to fit. The gen-1 headstay should be way different.
Good luck mang! TAKE PICS! we don't have neough gen-2 builds on here... and give some details, no one else has done a gen-2 build that showed really in depth details.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

Yea Yea - I know I havent started mine. Being waiting to finish up my other projects 1st. But I, too would like to know more about the steps you're taking. Are you trying to use the Gen1 front mounts from the kit? Please post many pictures of your build as we (I) am very intrigued. :cool:
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

kball1313

Gen 2

Post by kball1313 »

I'll try to post pics tomorrow.
DPinDet

Gen 2 A/F

Post by DPinDet »

The front mount on a Gen two will be into the frame rail. I have seen guys take 7/8" round stock and notch the frame until it fits in and lines up with the front mounts. The swingarm and lower motor mount is the same on the 500 as the 250, so those should stay put. The headstay will be offset too. I sold my Gen 2 bike that I made to Premix. He is a member on this board, and maybe he can shoot you some pics. Have Fun.

DPinDet
"Trees are for traction"