Looking to get a bike, got some ?'s and stuff.

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
NightBiker07

Looking to get a bike, got some ?'s and stuff.

Post by NightBiker07 »

First post here, but i have browsed through many times in the past checking stuff out and learning about stuff to better diagnose my current toy.

well, i am looking at a CR250 or a CR500. leaning toward the 500, but i have some comparison questions.
Size-wise, how do the 250's and the 500's compare? roughly the same size, or is the 500 alot bigger?
DUH the power is going to be worlds apart, but is the 500 power like a lightswitch, or is it fairly controllable, with the ability to lug around when ya just dont feel like ripping? i know with most 250's, your wither going slow or keeping it pinned.

also, i am looking to make her road-worthy for Ohio, and other than the obvious lights, tires and stuff, how would i go about getting it titled so i can buy plates and tags for it?

i am pretty handy with electrical, but a point in the right direction to get the proper items (lighting coil, mostly) would be great.
2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
britincali

Post by britincali »

IMO (and this is a shit rider opinion) the 500s power is a ton smoother delivery wise than the 250 with less of a powerband, you can also port them whatever way you like smooth and mellow or rip your arms off.

If you are a track rider your prolly better off with the 250 if you like open spaces or sand the 500 is a no brainer. The 500 is also easier to tune as you have no powervalve and the motor is less finiky.

Maintanance wise the 500 is better.

Size wise they are about the same if a little bigger than a steelie 250.

Lighting wise you need a new stator and flywheel to get a decent beam, I have a 35 watt coil from moose or electrosport on mine and its pretty useless apart from putting around.

Go for the 500 man :cool:
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

i was reading the other "street legal" thread, and noticed some links to sites such as https://www.bajadesigns.com/net/mainfra ... ory=MCYCLE would what i need to power the lights ... tery work?

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

britincali wrote:IMO (and this is a shit rider opinion) the 500s power is a ton smoother delivery wise than the 250 with less of a powerband, you can also port them whatever way you like smooth and mellow or rip your arms off.

If you are a track rider your prolly better off with the 250 if you like open spaces or sand the 500 is a no brainer. The 500 is also easier to tune as you have no powervalve and the motor is less finiky.

Maintanance wise the 500 is better.

Size wise they are about the same if a little bigger than a steelie 250.

Lighting wise you need a new stator and flywheel to get a decent beam, I have a 35 watt coil from moose or electrosport on mine and its pretty useless apart from putting around.

Well said Brit! That came from a guy who I talked to on the phone this morning and said "There's to many little things in there I'm not working on it!"

As for lighting coils keep your eye's posted on this Forum for a new 200 watt lighting coil coming soon and it won't be posted anywhere else!

And if your wife thinks your an asshole call Brit and leave him on speaker phone for 5 minutes...she'll love you all over again! :rotfl:
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
If I wanted a Yamaha I would have bought a piano!
ou812

Post by ou812 »

keep your eye's posted on this Forum for a new 200 watt lighting coil coming soon
:cool:
sabreguy

Post by sabreguy »

teemtrubble wrote:And if your wife thinks your an asshole call Brit and leave him on speaker phone for 5 minutes...she'll love you all over again! :rotfl:
:lmao: :lmao:
88CR500
ROOST ON PEOPLE!!!
britincali

Post by britincali »

Bastards :lol: :lol: :lol:
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

Oh BOY! some rider-developed parts coming into the light?
coolbeans, ill be sure to keep an eye out.
to run any charging system with a lighting coil, i would need a voltage regulator/rectifier like this, correct? http://www.procycle.us/dskits/lightcoils.htm (scroll down to bottom of page)

are these "dual sport kits" a good deal? http://www.procycle.us/dskits/dskit.htm
i was looking at the kit #3, as i am perfectly capable of making my own wiring harness. that also makes it easier to track future problems if you build it yourself.

stupid question, how do you install a lighting coil? like if it replaced the stator, thats pretty easy i guess, but some of the ones i looked at seem to be just a block, much like http://www.steahlyoffroad.com/weightsde ... num=L-1210

I guess ill have to call the DMV and see what a dual-sport bike requires around here. as ling as plating it isnt a problem, this will definitely be a good project for me.

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

britincali wrote:
If you are a track rider your prolly better off with the 250 stuffed with the 500 motor.....
Fixed it. :lol:
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

britincali wrote:IMO

If you are a track rider your prolly better off with the 250 if you like open spaces or sand the 500 is a no brainer.
i pretty much ride on whatever is available. track, trail, open field....whatever.

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

wastedyouth02

Post by wastedyouth02 »

I had a 07 450x went out to the desert a couple times with it then rode a friends 500 and sold the 450 as soon as i got back..been loving it ever since, only one thing i dont like abiut it is the vibration sometimes starts to really mess with my hands
When in doubt throtle out

'91 CR500 mostly stock...needs alotta love
bigjay

Post by bigjay »

NightBiker07 wrote:
i pretty much ride on whatever is available. track, trail, open field....whatever.
you can ride OVER 250's if you get a 500 :twisted:

im 6'7", 340lbs and these bikes will even remind me they arent to be disrespected :lol: just like has been said, the power is smoother than a 250's, 250's HIT the pipe and are damn near dead in all other rpm ranges, the 500 has power whenever you need it, itll climb stuff, jump stuff fly wide open in 5th gear or puts around your yard if you know how to ride it ( a flywheel weight helps in that area but also hinders in others). if you think you might want a 500.. dont get a 250, youll be sorry you did unless its a gen1 or newer aluminum frame and you stuff a 500 motor in it :twisted: :twisted:
Jay

I break stuff
teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

bigjay wrote:
NightBiker07 wrote:
you can ride OVER 250's if you get a 500 :twisted:

im 6'7", 340lbs and these bikes will even remind me they arent to be disrespected :lol: just like has been said, the power is smoother than a 250's, 250's HIT the pipe and are damn near dead in all other rpm ranges, the 500 has power whenever you need it, itll climb stuff, jump stuff fly wide open in 5th gear or puts around your yard if you know how to ride it ( a flywheel weight helps in that area but also hinders in others). if you think you might want a 500.. dont get a 250, youll be sorry you did unless its a gen1 or newer aluminum frame and you stuff a 500 motor in it :twisted: :twisted:
6'7" 340? I'll remember to call you Sir! Jay your my new best friend! Sir...
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
bigjay

Post by bigjay »

teemtrubble wrote: 6'7" 340? I'll remember to call you Sir! Jay your my new best friend! Sir...
just build me a sweet A/F and no one gets hurt, :lol: :lol: :wink:
Jay

I break stuff
teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

hahahahaha...What color Sir? I'd rather build you a bike than try to feed you! :wink:
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
bigjay

Post by bigjay »

teemtrubble wrote:hahahahaha...What color Sir? I'd rather build you a bike than try to feed you! :wink:

lmao, ya talk to my mom about that, i used to eat like a horse. im 27 now and my ginormous appetite as shrunken considerably, every once in awhile i can still eat massive amounts of food but its rare, most of the time i eat like a "normal size" person :)
Jay

I break stuff