PVL Ignition

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
fastkart

PVL Ignition

Post by fastkart »

I'm looking at picking up a motor with a PVL ignition. Most of my running is WFO, and I hear good things about the PVL's and WFO running. True? What are the pros/cons?
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

there could be money better spent. a 250 or 125 cdi would help revs A LOT and cost a lot less. for your app, I really like the MSD setup because you could use a laptop to customize you curves to get the most out of your revs and the only down side to that setup is the battery, but it would be a lot easier for you to find a place to stash a battery than on a bike.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
MICK

Post by MICK »

I'm about a knats ass hair away from trying a PVL ignition. For the past two years I've been gathering titanium bits and pieces for the transmission and clutch. I was planning on replacing all applicable nuts/bolts/washers/springs with these Ti pieces when the combined weight loss was 2 lbs.

But why wait when a PVL ignition would achieve much the same? I want to reduce the flywheel's negative affect on handling, and have a motor that pulls tall gears easily. Like having a smaller tooth on the countershaft, only without producing a motor that requires short shifts.

I know this can easily be done with porting. And for less than a PVL ignition. My point of view is rather how well I can get a CR500 motor running WITHOUT modifying the cylinder and head.

I don't know nearly as much as I'd like to about these. What I gather is it's going to require a much smaller rear sprocket to control the power. Which I would like, more snap AND wider gears to boot. But what I'd like to know is how the mapping is going to effect the motor as well. Simply contemplating the effect of the internal rotor is one thing, but how is PVL's analog mapping going to alter the power? Is it mapped to reflect the OEM curve? How much lighter is the internal rotor? It mentions the KX's is "much lighter than stock, motor becomes explosive." But no mention of this for the CR.

I may soon jump on this. I believe much or all the perceived improvements with the SH ignition is credited to the heavier flywheel. Takes the hit out as many put it. Well I'm looking for quite the opposite. I think my motor is plenty smooth as it is and doesn't need any HIT taken out.

But I feel you have to take these things one test at a time. So the PVL will have to wait for the time being. I'm currently gathering my thoughts on Nuetech's tubeless core. I'll post my conclusion after I've got a couple more rides.
'03 CR500 powered by...umm...a new motor?
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

i was going to give pvl a try while back but never did. it doesnt use a flywheel like the stock setup, and theres no keyway. it goes on the crank and wedges on from the taper i think, and i heard stories of it coming loose on banshees so i decided not to spend the cash
MICK

Post by MICK »

Yes it doesn't use a woodruf key. You have to set the ignition timing on it yourself. I think by using a dial indicator threaded in through the spark plug hole. Find TDC, then set the internal rotor on the crankshaft with the timing marks aligned. Then back the rotor counterclockwise 2.2-2.4mm. The plus side to this is being able to determine your own ignition timing. Downside obviously is having to do this yourself. Too far advanced and you get nasty kick back, too retarded and it won't fire at all. If it comes loose from the shaft it's the idiots fault who bolted it on. With the specified torque setting and some lock-tite that biotch ain't coming off.

What concerns me the most is after reading some S/H ignition threads, apparently the OEM ignition has at least a slight mapping curve. Whereas the PVL I believe has absolutely nothing. Fires same time...all the time. If that's the case it would seem difficult to have a properly set ignition for low and high rpm use.

A very strange thing I read about PVL. The 200cc and under motors have digital ignitions with dual curves. They claim for motocross and other applications where a wide range of rpm is used. But everything 250cc on up is analog fixed timing. What the hell sense does that make? I got a stray cat in my back yard that can tell you a 250/500 uses hell of a lot wider spread of rpm than a small bore. Their reasoning is ass backwards.
'03 CR500 powered by...umm...a new motor?
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

ya i think thats what they told me also-just a plain jane analog setup for the cr5. im sticking with OEM for now anyways :lol:
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

I love the HUGE improvement I got from a 250 cdi!
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
wastedyouth02

Post by wastedyouth02 »

Ive seen you talk about that a couple times is there a 250 cdi that just plugs in place of the cr5s
When in doubt throtle out

'91 CR500 mostly stock...needs alotta love
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

only for the '84, '85, and '86 but if you get the stator, flywheel and cdi, you can hook it up on any year cr500, using just about any year 250 setup.
the '89-'96 (I think) is ideal because its pre-digital, so it won't try to have a traction control effect and you can add a 80 watt lighting coil.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

my motor is an '86, so it can work with the '86-'88 cr250 cdi. But the '86 cr500 was the only year to use that stator coil setup and in '87 it went to a 500 only setup.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
wastedyouth02

Post by wastedyouth02 »

So since i have a 91 id have to get the hwole setup from a 250
When in doubt throtle out

'91 CR500 mostly stock...needs alotta love
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

I believe so.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

What about the lighter fly wheel weight of the 250? Can you just add more?
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

I believe the 250 flywheel is similar in weight to the 500, and they make flywheel weights for the 250 flywheels too... but who really wants that anyway, if you want to tame the beast, get a 450! HAHA, besides, the 250 cdi has the opposite effect of taming it, so if you are worried about flywheel weight taming it, then you really don't want the 250 cdi.
:D
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

my first launch with the 250cdi resulted in a bashed in silencer, ripped off fender and cracked subframe...trust me, there is nothing tame about running the 250 cdi. Unless you do with a '97+ since they programmed in some sort of traction control
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
fastkart

Post by fastkart »

Well, it looks like I will be getting the motor with the PVL setup. It's an '86 as well, has a billet clutch, and some other fun stuff too. Whats a guy to do when a sponsor is writing the check? :D

Oh, and it used to be the motor builders son's motor... can't be tooooo bad, can it? lol
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

The 250 ignition sounds like something I want to try.