86' pros and cons?

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
bigjay

86' pros and cons?

Post by bigjay »

i found a possibly killer deal ($500) on an 86 thats pretty clean ( cleaner than my bike with its cracked @$$ frame) with a fresh top end, the whole top end is very clean looking.. its a new jug, not a rebore. the jug is bare aluminum, the gaskets are all viseably new. however it doesent start... it has great compression but the gas is fouled you can smell it if you open the tank or kick the bike over, it has good spark. the guy had it rebuilt then found it to hard to start and bought an 05' 450.. hes about 5'6" and maybe 160lbs, i kicked it over a couple times and wondered how he even was able to do it at all.

its been sitting for over a year and never had the fuel drained. the clutch is very stiff and just sitting on the stand it doesent seem to want to shift into 2nd or above, it will smoothly click into 1st and go into neutral but wont "click" anymore up, could this be from sitting?

questions, 1) will any of my 90's suspension/brakes retrofit over? 2) am i better off just parting my 90's suspension etc out and rebuilding the 86's suspension? 3) is my 90's carb the same as the 86's? 4) does the bike sound like its worth $500? thanks guys
Last edited by bigjay on April 2nd, 2008, 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay

I break stuff
aloha450x

Post by aloha450x »

shit even for 500 bucks part it out if it is too much work.
britincali

Post by britincali »

aloha450x wrote:shit even for 500 bucks part it out if it is too much work.
:wink: :wink: :wink:

Keep the motor and part the rest.
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
bigjay

Post by bigjay »

i think the biggest thing im worried about is the tranny not going into 2nd, the guy swears it rode fine when he could get it started. oh ya its got an fmf fatty too.
Jay

I break stuff
CR480R

Post by CR480R »

PROS:
-500cc
-$500
-cartridge conventional forks

CONS:
-magnesium clutch cover
-drum rear brake

I would already have it home if I was you...
Current bikes- 1983 CR480
Former bike- 1990 CR500
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

the tranny thing is just probably a little shifting deal in the case I had that problem one tine because of in correct assembly,
$500 AND YOU GOT ANOTHER BIKE!
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
sabreguy

Post by sabreguy »

Snag it!
88CR500
ROOST ON PEOPLE!!!
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

DO IT!
the first time you take out that HOT BITCH '86 motor, you will be in love and throwing roost instantly. The '86s and '85s have A LOT of grunt down low which make them fun as F@#$, but hard to control... who wants to be in control anyway, I like a bike that takes ME for a ride :wink: :wink:
$500 is a steal.
your carb is the same except the fuel inlet angle, no biggie. But those '86 motors were tuned differently and the jetting on your carb will be off slightly. they need a larger pilot and main and run a way different needle.
I say buy it, pull the carb and inspect the reeds (usual hard start cause), clean the carb. roll it around a little and play with the shifter. there is a mechanism with some springs and levers that goes inside the back of the shift drum, one of those is probably stuck from sitting, just change the oil, make sure it doesn't leak and ride the snot out of her!!!
also, the '86 had a gnarly clutch, the difficult clutch pull is normal, but if its too bad, it could be the cable. The cable from your '90 will work in this case.
the trick to starting an '86 with the allen wrench kicker is to use your heal and angle your toes out just enough so you can get a good kick in without hitting your toes on the foot peg. and you want to slam that thing all the way to the bottom as hard as you can. the early 500s were some real SOBs to start.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

BTW, let me know if you end up selling your '90 bottomend... :wink:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

Yeah I figured you'd chime in as you've been to hell and back with that 86 you have now. If he doesnt buy it, you should Danny! Mister Gen4 AF To Be! Bastage! :twisted: :twisted:

:lol:
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

bigjay

Post by bigjay »

saaweeet! thanks guys, i will be picking it up tommarow.. whats better than 1 cr500?.. TWO cr500's :) the hard starting thing kinda bugs me because my 90 started pretty easy, find the top of the compression stroke then one kick like ya mean it and she was poppin, im sure my ginormous stature helped in that department. ill post some pics when i pick it up, im sure out of these 2 bikes i can put one nice one together.
Jay

I break stuff
M.F.D.B.

Post by M.F.D.B. »

Did you rock the back tire back and forth while you were trying to shift it?? Remember that a bike trans can and usually does get "hung up" if you try shifting the gears with the motor off and the back tire still. They simply are not designed to do this...
Faster then Speedy Gonzalez, slower then the Road Runner!!! MEEP MEEP

2002 CR80
1999 Cr500
2003 CR250R
2005 CRF250R
2006 YZ450F
2005 CBR1000RR
1997 Banshee
kkvslayer

Post by kkvslayer »

Thats $1300.00 less than I paid for my 86,nice find,I've never tried another year cr5 but my 86 rips,they're only hard to start if ya don't know how but sounds like ya got her figured out.
1994 Heartless CR500R
1986 KX500