DesertCR's Gen 2 500A/F is in the works!

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
DesertCR

DesertCR's Gen 2 500A/F is in the works!

Post by DesertCR »

Hey guys I'm new here and to the 500 honda. I just picked up an 01 cr250 with a blown motor and missing wheels. I plan on lingering on the website for a while and had some quick questions before I start the build. First is what wheels will fit my bike, and the second is what year motor is ideal for the conversion? I plan on buying a donor in the future and wouldl like to know what I'm looking for. Thanks again.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

I believe the '00+ wheels interchange, and use a '89+ motor. the '94+ is most desireable since they are grey in color, not black and have the wide ratio trans. you can use a motor all the way back to '85, but its more work.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
pimp559

Post by pimp559 »

It's possible to use the wheels off the donor bike you buy. You may have to change out the bearings, seals, and spacers but thats cheap and easy. The lst AF I built was a 01. Check the stickies at the top of the AF only forum for parts that are availble from Alisobob, Shanman, and Dannygraves, like square tubing, front engine mounts and head stay. I wish I would of had those parts available when I built mine. It would have made the build look factory and alot easier than making the parts. I just got my 02 welded up this weekend so I'll have some pics soon. IMO the 01 is a little easier to do than the 02, and thats just because you don't have to mod the 01 radiator like the 02. We'll be PISSED if you don't post pics of your build. :twisted: YOu may even get banned!!! :lol:
Member #1 Obama haters club (join below)
http://www.bannedcr500riders.com/board/ ... highlight=

If it ain't a CR500, your not worthy!!!
Friends don't let friends ride steelies!

Parenthood is a controlled state of insanity!!!!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

DesertCR, please stop posting until you get a motor and have it 95% built. That way we know your serious, and not wasting our time....

( :roll: )

Welcome , and get going !!!
Last edited by AlisoBob on March 3rd, 2008, 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DesertCR

Post by DesertCR »

Thanks for replies. Well as soon as I can find a motor I'll start the project. But first I have to find out if I can register the bike since it came with no title and I think its a Canadian edition. I'll definetly check the stickes and most likely purchase as many parts as possible to make the build go smoother. Interesting that ass you have to do is change the bearings in the wheels and get the right spacers and axel to swap wheels, I'll keep that in mind.
pimp559

Post by pimp559 »

AlisoBob wrote:DesertCR, please stop posting until you get a motor and have it 95% built. That way we know your serious, and not wasting our time....

( :roll: )

Welcome , and get going !!!
I see you edited it Bob, why don't you tell us how you really feel!!! LOL :D

AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

pimp559 wrote:
I see you edited it Bob, why don't you tell us how you really feel!!! LOL :D
I didnt edit it, I italisized it...

DesertCR, I'm goofing by the way..... A poke at another site that wount give you the time of day, unless you prove you own a motor first.
DesertCR

Post by DesertCR »

No worries its all for a good time. I am currently waiting on the registration info and then will be the job of finding a motor. Do you guys recommend that I just buy a complete donor? This is probably my route.
pimp559

Post by pimp559 »

DesertCR wrote:No worries its all for a good time. I am currently waiting on the registration info and then will be the job of finding a motor. Do you guys recommend that I just buy a complete donor? This is probably my route.
Yes, if not you'll be chasing parts forever like I did with the first one. Don't worry about getting an older motor that is black, the paint comes right off and looks like a new 01. I would atleast get a 89 up though so your rad hose isn't in the way and you don't have to get new rear engine bushings.

AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

90' and newer has a better clutch too.
DesertCR

Post by DesertCR »

Ok, so I have a 94 front wheel and a 97 rear. Do you guys know if I buy never wheel bearings and use the newer (appropiate) axels, that I could possibly use these wheels? It know it was mentioned earlier in the thread that this may be a possible route, any info would be very appreciated, thanks.
pimp559

Post by pimp559 »

You will need new bearings, seals and axel spacers/axel from an 01 cr250 to make them fit your 2001 cr250. I have an axle and spacers left over from my 01 build that I'd sell you if your interested, say $30 shipped.
YOu can get the bearings and seals off ebay cheap.

DesertCR

Post by DesertCR »

Well i got a real good deal on both axels (03 cr) but I am missing the rear spacers, got everything else for front and back. Im assuming that the bearings dont come with seals? And 00 and up bearings and seals will do the job, cool thanks again. If you do wanna sell just the spacers, please let me know.
DesertCR

Post by DesertCR »

I've managed to hunt down both wheels but it seems the 03 cr125 front wheel axel is not long enough. Ive used the spacers that came with it and it comes up over 1/2 inch short. I tried the one of my 95 250 and it works, but I need that one for that bike. Any suggestions? And BTW, I found a guy in Orange county selling a 90 cr500 complete motor minus electronics for $700, sound like a good deal?
nmdesertrider

Post by nmdesertrider »

If you get a 01 or earlier axle/spacers the newer wheel will work fine with the 01 forks
DesertCR

Post by DesertCR »

Well I have a 97 cr500 front wheel, I just thought that the since the wheels didnt change, neither would the axels. I just realized that as the other posted mentioned I need rear bearings and wheel spacer (inside hub), you guys use a particular website for your oem parts?
nmdesertrider

Post by nmdesertrider »

www.mrcycles.com has the best prices I have seen
DesertCR

Post by DesertCR »

Well my wheel spacer arrived and it wont comletely go inside the hub, it is too large in diameter. Any suggestions? And I missed a good deal on craigslist. Someone in a town right next to me was selling an 89 cr500 for $500 and the bike looked really clean in the pics. Looks like I need a newer hub or just a newer style rim/hub.
2weelz

Post by 2weelz »

So, what do you need? I have parts from a '96 500.
DesertCR

Post by DesertCR »

Im in need of a 00 and up cr125 250 rear wheel assembly. I thought that with 00 and up bearings and wheel spacer my 97 cr250 wheel would work but the spacer wont fit in the hub due to a lip inside the hub that blocks it from going in.
DesertCR

Post by DesertCR »

Update:
Well Im in the process of registering the roller and I just scored a smokin deal on a 89 cr500 for $500 :D that I thought I had missed. This bike is in very good condition and runs strong. I almost dont want to pull the motor but I will. But first I want to get it on the dirt. (my first 500) Right now it has 14-51 sprockets and I want to gear it out a little more. What do you guys think, go with a 15 in the front (will it fit) to tone it down a tad.
Looks like the next step is to start ordering my parts for the frame fab!
DesertCR

Post by DesertCR »

Ok I plan on taking the 89 cr500 out this weekend before I pull the engine to see how it runs. At this point I just need a little info on the swingarm/motor spacers and what approach to take on the Y? I'm also looking for any prefab parts that will help the conversion go a little easier (head stay, mounts, etc). Depending on what my welder says tomorrow I am planning on starting this weekend/early next week (spring break). Any details would be greatly appreciated.