Service Honda on Ebay

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
2weelz

Service Honda on Ebay

Post by 2weelz »

I was looking at this Service Honda on Ebay and noticed the position of the front mounts in the last picture. I didn't think SH went inside the rails for the mounts. What do you guys think of doing it that way? Or maybe I'm seeing it all wrong.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Honda-CR-cr500-cr-5 ... dZViewItem
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

I dunno' if it is or not..... I dont recall ever seeing the added material being "spot faced" like shown here.

EVERY ad for a real S/H I see includes a photo of the S/H "Orgin" sticker.

Looks fishy...
ShanMan

Post by ShanMan »

nope.....what you see there is a billet piece that is both the cradle tube and the engine mount incorporated into one piece.
CR500AC widget maker
2weelz

Post by 2weelz »

I was thinking that's what it was. So, I guess billet is ok to weld to this aluminum.
mxracr121

Post by mxracr121 »

Plus, if I remember right, '04 SH bikes were based on either the 125 chassis (LE) or the CRF250, never the CR250.
Too much of a puss for a 500!

www.approvedpainting.net
ShanMan

Post by ShanMan »

2weelz wrote:I was thinking that's what it was. So, I guess billet is ok to weld to this aluminum.
of course it is...but...you want to hollow out the ends of the billet pieces so that the walls of the two pieces where they join together are similar. This does two things:

1) it makes welding the two pieces together much easier and better because the heat sinking of the two parts is common, and thus consistent, which yields a good weld with good penetration of the parent material.

2) it also softens up the billet piece a bit, so the overall flexibility of the welded frame is more like the original, unmolested frame. This translates into less stress, and thus less likelihood of a crack and eventual failure.

When I did the gen. three yoke, I hollowed it out for just that reason. I also added stops so that the welds would never be put in shear, which will also create stresses:

CR500AC widget maker
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Hot Damm, Shanman....
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

AlisoBob wrote:Hot Damm, Shanman....
x2
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
sabreguy

Post by sabreguy »

X3
88CR500
ROOST ON PEOPLE!!!
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

Lets see, that ought a be version 5.6 :lol: :cool: Shanman, lookin more like a high flyer all the time. :cool:
ShanMan

Post by ShanMan »

Thanks dudes! Next up though are the clutch and ignition covers...complete with o-rings, increased oil capacity on the clutch side and a custom Banned CR500 Riders logo to be decided upon by all you Hoons!
CR500AC widget maker
sabreguy

Post by sabreguy »

ShanMan wrote:Thanks dudes! Next up though are the clutch and ignition covers...complete with o-rings, increased oil capacity on the clutch side and a custom Banned CR500 Riders logo to be decided upon by all you Hoons!
:woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:
88CR500
ROOST ON PEOPLE!!!
BrettJ

Post by BrettJ »

ShanMan wrote:Thanks dudes! Next up though are the clutch and ignition covers...complete with o-rings, increased oil capacity on the clutch side and a custom Banned CR500 Riders logo to be decided upon by all you Hoons!
whats your pay pal? haha :lol:
but seriously email when you finish this... :twisted: