switched to 927.......now bike runs like crap

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
TYSTYX

switched to 927.......now bike runs like crap

Post by TYSTYX »

I have used several different kinds of 2-stroke oils in the bikes with no problems, but today we started using 927 and both our 500's hated the mix. We pre-mixed at our usual 32:1, but both 500's now run way too rich, although my son's cr85 loved the new stuff.
I had to keep turning up the idle on my 500 just to keep it from stalling, which didnt really help, especially the hotter the motor got so after stalling it a hundred times and trying to kickstart it a thousand, I gave up and camped out at the truck and watched my son ride.

I kept thinking 32:1 was just too much oil in the gas.
You think mixing at 40:1 or 50:1 will solve the issue without having to spend time re-jetting our 500's ???
99 CR500R
2006 Honda CBR 1000RR Fireblade

My Drinking team has a Racing problem !

AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

If 32:1 is too rich... 50:1 is even richer...

Sounds like you have other issues.
TYSTYX

Post by TYSTYX »

AlisoBob wrote:If 32:1 is too rich... 50:1 is even richer...

Sounds like you have other issues.
my bad...I meant to say its running way too lean.....and this is on both mine and my friends CR500's. We've been using Mobil 1 MX2T @ 32:1 and as soon as we switched over to the 927 mixed at the same ratio, both bikes now run too lean, so I was thinking that 32:1 was too much oil maybe ??
99 CR500R

KrusH

Post by KrusH »

This video expresses the feeling of the moments that affected our ride today as I was there and a victim to this oil/fuel conspiracy! For this day will not be forgotten. I give you this video. Enjoy http://www.filecabi.net/video/40fa73e376.html
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

different types of oil will never require a change in jetting, only different quantities... are you sure there wasn't just a measurement mistake?
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
TYSTYX

Post by TYSTYX »

Im prety sure I measured out the oil correctly, but were going to drain the tanks and start w/ a fresh batch and see what happens.
99 CR500R

AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Ive run it all the way from 16:1 ( double mix at 32:1.... :roll: ) to 50:1.

No issues..ever.
KrusH

Post by KrusH »

It affected both of our bikes, his much more than mine. The mix was also in his son's bike and it ran great. On mine when you let out the clutch to take off it bogged down and you had to give it more than normal gas to get going. But after I was running everything seemed fine until I stopped and had to go again when it would bog. Also the bike stalled easier and normally it would take 1 maybe 2 kicks to get the bike running, instead it took sometimes 10 to 30 kicks and then it would start or sometimes you had to let it sit for a few minutes. Once you were running the power was not snappy it was mushy. You could feel something wasn't right. I was there when we put in super unleaded and watched as he added the mix. I can say if he went over it wasn't by much. Now one thing was on his bike after he ran his bike it started to purple his Narly pipe after maybe 20 minutes or less of riding. Now my Narly was hardly broken in and barely started to change color but that day it changed it more than all the other rides together. Now what got me was when my buddy here was powering up a hill and barely let off the gas it stalled on him going 3/4 way up it, and then it wouldn't start, when normally his bike starts on the first kick. It had to sit like for 5 minutes then it started. I thought he was going to die out there trying to kick that bike. After that we gave up and watched his son conquer the hills. Before this our bikes were running perfect and smooth. But like he said I am going to drain the bikes this week and start over.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

yup, your lean. the only thing I can thing of (if it was measured correctly, sorry, but I even have trouble with the ratio rite after a couple beers :wink: ) is maybe the 927 is creating so much more ring seal that your running more efficiently and need more fuel to keep up. that 927 is THICK. go up in fuel everywhere, turn the air screw in (or change to a larger pilot) bring the needle up by dropping the clip down and go up maybe 2 sizes on the main. I bet it will start and run tits. only problem then is if there was a mixture issue, then the next batch might bring everything back, then you'd have to lean everything out.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
KrusH

Post by KrusH »

Also could it be that we had fuel from the other ride still in the tank, would that cause a problem?
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

I don't think so, as long as it was the same ratio.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Blusmbl

Post by Blusmbl »

Where did you get the gasoline from, and what's your location? You may have recieved a batch of oxygenated E10 pump fuel, in which case it's going to be leaner just based on the fuel change.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

if it aint broke, dont fix it. why did you switch oils in the first place ?? if you dont mind me asking
britincali

Post by britincali »

100hp honda wrote:if it aint broke, dont fix it.

I would NEVER EVER EVER EVER expect to hear that coming from you :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

hey if that dude wants to play musical chairs with different types of oil then more power to him, i just wondered why switch. ive stayed with the same oil since i got my bikes :lol: . i fixed alot of shit that wasnt broke but it was for a good reason. im still fixing shit that aint broke :devious:
TYSTYX

Post by TYSTYX »

I switched because the 927 was twice as cheap as the Mobil 1 stuff I was using.
99 CR500R

iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

:doh: :rotfl:
crashing_sux

Post by crashing_sux »

dannygraves wrote:different types of oil will never require a change in jetting, only different quantities... are you sure there wasn't just a measurement mistake?
I've never heard that before, what is your reasoning for thinking the jetting will never change?

I would have thought the opposite, that oils of different viscosity would change the amount of fuel/oil mix would flow through the same size jet. Are you thinking it is too small of an amount to be noticible, or that all oils are of similar viscosity?
redrocket190

Post by redrocket190 »

:shock:
Michael Stiles
2007 Honda CR500R-AF
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

crashing_sux wrote:
dannygraves wrote:different types of oil will never require a change in jetting, only different quantities... are you sure there wasn't just a measurement mistake?
I've never heard that before, what is your reasoning for thinking the jetting will never change?

I would have thought the opposite, that oils of different viscosity would change the amount of fuel/oil mix would flow through the same size jet. Are you thinking it is too small of an amount to be noticible, or that all oils are of similar viscosity?
the amount of oil effects the the ratio of fuel coming through the jets. you'd have to run some sort of 80wt sludge to effect as small a ratio as like 40:1. when you run a different ratio, less or more fuel comes through the jet depending on how much oil is mixed with it. the viscosity should only effect how it travels through the motor, not the fuel ratio, the same amount of fuel will travel through the jet.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80