Wheel interchangability?

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
Blusmbl

Wheel interchangability?

Post by Blusmbl »

I tried a search on this already, and didn't come up with much, besides Brit's swap from his gen 1 to his '00 bike. I'm looking for a spare set of wheels (one set for ice, and another rear for a paddle...) for my '01 steelie, and I'm not quite sure what wheel/hub combinations work with my bike.

I think from looking at my service manual that any 95-up CR500 wheel will work in front, but I have no idea regarding the rear. Do any other non-CR500 applications use the same hubs? Like mid 90's CR250's, for example? Am I correct in assuming a gen 1 rear will work if you use a different set of spacers?

Thanks!

-Nick
Ported&Polished

Post by Ported&Polished »

From what I can tell the rear cr500 wheels are all the same from early 90's up. I know my 91 uses a 97 rear wheel with no issues.
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
britincali

Post by britincali »

Any rear from 86 or 87 (disc brake) and up will work, the only difference being the brake rotor on the earlier bikes has 6 mounting bolts vs 4 on the newer ones (the early ones have a gold rim).

Any rear from a CR250 87-96 will work too. The 97-99 will not work due to the different rotor size and anything after 99 had a bigger axle.

Im not 100% on the fronts as Ive never swapped them out.....
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
Blusmbl

Post by Blusmbl »

Cool, thanks for the quick responses! That gives me a huge range to find for the rears I need. There looks to be plenty of them on ebay at any given time, too.
Slow old Fart

Post by Slow old Fart »

Blusmbl wrote:Cool, thanks for the quick responses! That gives me a huge range to find for the rears I need. There looks to be plenty of them on ebay at any given time, too.
what do you need for ice racing? I have a sun rear 19 extra wide 3.5 heavy duty rear wheel that is for flat track use I am not using. 95 up is same in front and 87 foward will work in rear. I like the 979899 CR 250 brake set up for rear it helps the bike alot when brake sliding.
Caseys500

Post by Caseys500 »

Slow old Fart wrote:
Blusmbl wrote:Cool, thanks for the quick responses! That gives me a huge range to find for the rears I need. There looks to be plenty of them on ebay at any given time, too.
I like the 979899 CR 250 brake set up for rear it helps the bike alot when brake sliding.
The 97-99 CR250 has a different diameter rotor (so the caliper height is different) and wont work with a CR500 wheel...like Brit said (unless you change to the taller rotor). I did use one with my 500 wheel for quite a while but the brake pads wore funny and I could just tell it wasnt going to be safe in the long run.
Say hallo to my little friend, Mr. CR 500.
Blusmbl

Post by Blusmbl »

I'm just looking for another 21 front/18 rear for ice racing, nothing special. Going to make my own with a set of liners + long kold kutters. I won't be competitively racing it, just screwing around on a couple of the lakes up here. Unless my buddy can borrow his father in law's 4wd quad we're usually riding on a lake with a bunch of snow on it, so the flat track tire wouldn't be the best choice, unfortunately.

I think I'm buying a rear off Brit for paddle use....

-Nick