More power with Choke?!

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
Bomberpilot

More power with Choke?!

Post by Bomberpilot »

Hi,

I noticed that my Cr5 has more power when I leave the choke turned in. My feeling is that I got around 2-4 hp more with the choke.

I got a Sudco PWK 41 racing carb. I have to look my setting up can't tell you by heart. Needle is around DGH/J/K/L and as far as I know clip in middle position, I guess pilot around 52/55 and main is 195 as far as I know. V-Force V3 and ported jug. Just as a rough orientation - can't tell it exactly now like i said.

But this should be a question in general - what would you do / change to get that correct?

I don't like to change the pilot jet cause now I got some kind of idling...
One dude gave my the tip to change the slide but I have absolutely no experience with adjusting a carb by changing the slide.

Would it be a problem to drive with choke turned on all the time?

Greets and thanks
Thomas
other

Re: More power with Choke?!

Post by other »

Bomberpilot wrote:Hi,

I noticed that my Cr5 has more power when I leave the choke turned in. My feeling is that I got around 2-4 hp more with the choke.

I got a Sudco PWK 41 racing carb. I have to look my setting up can't tell you by heart. Needle is around DGH/J/K/L and as far as I know clip in middle position, I guess pilot around 52/55 and main is 195 as far as I know. V-Force V3 and ported jug. Just as a rough orientation - can't tell it exactly now like i said.

But this should be a question in general - what would you do / change to get that correct?

I don't like to change the pilot jet cause now I got some kind of idling...
One dude gave my the tip to change the slide but I have absolutely no experience with adjusting a carb by changing the slide.

Would it be a problem to drive with choke turned on all the time?

Greets and thanks
Thomas
I don't know if you retained the Sudco jetting, but when mine came from them, it had a 160 main, 60 pilot and DGI needle. If you did retain the same jetting as supplied, being that lean at the top, it probably would run better with the choke on ! However, I'm amazed you can start it with the choke on if you have the 60 pilot . . . I'm waiting for a 48 and a 50 pilot to arrive to experiment in mine at the moment . . . . I currently have a 172 main, but will probably try dropping this to a 170. I am also awaiting a DGL needle, as everyone else seems to have settled on this as about the ideal.

Oops, update. . . just noticed yours was a 41, whereas mine's a 39.5. Ignore the above, sorry.
o.t.h.e.r . . . . .Over The Hill Enduro Rider
Bomberpilot

Post by Bomberpilot »

yeah anyways thanks for your answer.

I wrote my rough jetting details in the first post and i am not 100% sure but what I wrote is roughly right. I changed the settings of the carb to that so I didn't use the stock sudco jetting.

I forgot to write that I have a Supermoto bike which is also street legal. This is why I went for the big main jet - to keep the reliability.
Bomberpilot

Post by Bomberpilot »

Ok I looked the carb setting up:

Main jet: 195
Pilot jet: 50 (idles a little but stalls after some seconds especially with a gear turned in - so bigger would cause idling problems)
Needle: DGJ
Position: Clip in the middle

any ideas?
Bomberpilot

Post by Bomberpilot »

here is the link to the other forum where I posted that stuff too

http://cr500riders.com/cgi/yabb/YaBB.pl ... 033444/0#6
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

"More power with the choke on."

More power where? off idle? bottom? mid? wfo? roll on?

Easy start cold with choke on? choke off? Easy start hot choke on? choke off?

Elaborate.

Changing things without having logical reason to is just going to make it worse.
No longer have a CR500.
07 Yamaha YZ250, 17 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
Get on with riding or get on with dying.
https://www.youtube.com/mojoscojo
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

The " Choke " is really an "Enricher" that adds a tiny amount of fuel, and only when the slide is shut. When the slide is open, it doesnt do shit..

I think you got to recalibrate your ass dyno.
Bomberpilot

Post by Bomberpilot »

I don't need the ass dyno in this case.
when you use your bike for supermoto riding you got always plenty of grip. this is why you can use the wheely dyno - it this says that I do power wheelys one gear higher than without choke.

It seems that the more power is everywhere but especially when i change from little gas to full throttle - in this case that makes sense cause that enriches the engine like bob said. So lets says the more amount of power is definitely middle rpm.

:?

i always start with choke on and than turned it out right away. once i forgot to do that and I noticed the difference.
when the bike is hot I normally start without choke... Hot start is sometime not as nice as the cold start.