Should i mod this gas tank?

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
jeezo

Should i mod this gas tank?

Post by jeezo »

I'm new here I'll introduce myself and post some pics in the appropriate section shortly, but I'm new to conversions and I'm 90% complete with a 96 ktm 300 engine going in a 2004 kx250f.

Bottom of the gas tank is hitting head steady mount, about .25" interference. It's an IMS oversize tank, should I mod the tank or make new head steady brackets?

Do you guys ever have to mod the bottoms of your tanks? I don't know if I can just heat it and push in or will that make the thing brittle and prone to issues later?
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

if a redesigned mount would work i'd do that first, if not, a 1/4" isn't much, and IMS tanks heat up and move well...
jeezo

Post by jeezo »

I think a new mount will work fine, just a pain in the ass to remake them for a third time.

So a tank mod is a viable option if I need to? no issues down the road?

Thanks for quick advice. I'd like to post some pics of my build, I chose to build it because I had the old ktm300 and the 04 kx250f fell in my lap for super cheap and I wanted a cool project bike. Do you guys here want a conversion like that in the steel frame section or do you want all hybrid builds in the AF section?
freeride588

Post by freeride588 »

Yes modding the tank is a option for sure. I pushed mine in way more than a quarter inch and have had no long term problems.
Kevin
ZETTNORCAL

Post by ZETTNORCAL »

jeezo wrote:

Thanks for quick advice. I'd like to post some pics of my build, I chose to build it because I had the old ktm300 and the 04 kx250f fell in my lap for super cheap and I wanted a cool project bike. Do you guys here want a conversion like that in the steel frame section or do you want all hybrid builds in the AF section?
Well, It is not aluminum nor a CR conversion but I would still love to see it. I have done a KX500 engine into a 04 KX250F. How did you do the exhaust through the frame? I used the whole cradle out of the K5
jeezo

Post by jeezo »

Here she is.

Do you have a diff name on TT? I ran across one guy already who put a kx500 in there as you did. IIRC it was metalman1011

http://bannedcr500riders.com/board/view ... 643#137643