2008 crf450 - 500af

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
_mel_45_

Post by _mel_45_ »

gixxerbob wrote:your stator cover with a bulge in it is new to me....
i never even picked up on that before. Was on it when i purchased the bike.

Have bought another steel framed bike there too, needs a bit of work but will be nice to have a modernised one and a retro one.

Also i think i have an addiction now, any i see i want to buy, i could be bankrupt in no time. :(
_mel_45_

Post by _mel_45_ »

spent ages trying to get the motor actually fiteed today. when I had the engine just set in before I didnt have the cr125 collars in, (54mm & 59mm) but it just wasnt fitting what so ever.

Original collars that were fitted were 46mm & 54mm. Cr125 collars, 59mm & 54mm, with the 125cc collars fiteed the gap between each collar was a couple of mm too small to allow the engine to fit, so had to take 1mm off each collar to get the engine to fit.

I spent forever trying to get it in with the collars as they come, as i had read on here thats what you guys use, but in the end it had to be altered.

Next day is going to be trying to sort exhaust clearance at the y piece. the af model pipe i got from pro circuit is currently been held out by the y piece, so thinking it needs to go higher still.
_mel_45_

Post by _mel_45_ »

Meant to update that I have found out who did the tuning work to the engine. I did a little research and the engravings are P.C.C.G.H. / Pro Circuit, and the pro circuit importer/dealer in the uk CGH imports. So essentially I am going to be running a pro circuit barrel, head and pipe
_mel_45_

Post by _mel_45_ »

with the exhaust catching on the gear change side of the y piece, im thinking i may need to lower the engine a bit at the front. Currently I dont need to make clearance for the bottom clutch bolt, maybe this is where im going wrong?

just thinking this as if i was to noth the frame a wee bit to allow lower mounting then the exhaust port is further forward and in essence will push the whole exhaust pipe further out maybe allowing clearance round the y piece.
pstoffers

Post by pstoffers »

Hey Mel you need to grind the corner off the Y. Sometimes you got to put a ding in the pipe to. The PC pipe is the worst fitting pipe.....
NAHA PRO HILLCLIMBER #216
LIVIN THE DREAM!!!

NOTHING BUT GREEN LABEL BLENDZALL!!!

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/P ... /Home.aspx
http://www.pro-hillclimbers.org/
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

I also have one :wink:
_mel_45_

Post by _mel_45_ »

pstoffers wrote:Hey Mel you need to grind the corner off the Y. Sometimes you got to put a ding in the pipe to. The PC pipe is the worst fitting pipe.....
Currently where i have the engine positioned i dont have to notch the frame back at the pegs to allow that bottom clutch bolt, should i have to notch the frame, ive seen a few notched?

The outer corners of the Y?

Sorry for all the silly questions just want to be as sure as possible im going about it the right way.

Damn it i would have to buy the worst fitting one, typical.
_mel_45_

Post by _mel_45_ »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:
I also have one :wink:
Im not sure if this is a standard issue on some later engines?, or an aftermarket piece, seen a couple with this now, cos ive been looking after it was pointed out
_mel_45_

Post by _mel_45_ »

got some more time at the bike today. spent ages fiddling around with the pipe but its just not fitting as it should, so went ahead and fitten the new rails etc and made up mounting brackets. Going to modify the exhaust afterwards. I think this could be the end of me and pro circuit, there should be no issues with fit whatsover!!!!!!!!