Genuine crank vs aftermarket crank

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

why we talking wiseco. website says they dont even make rod or crank for cr500
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

other wrote:
gregrobo wrote:hey max the last crank i did a big end on i sent to the boys at savage suzuki in midland it was $400 including parts and freight both ways perth and back and around 2 weeks wait that was balanced also give them a call

got those mounts yet mate
I'm told Savage send 'em out too, probably to Ray Easson M/C Engineering in Bayswater. Easson is a drag bike nut, so builds shit strong. (That said, Ackie, at Savage Suzuki is a die-hard CR500 rider, so pick his brains for advice too . . . . ).
I've used Ray Easson for crank rebuilds,and his work is solid, and the price OK. Not so good with deadlines though . . .
i didnt think they did them in house most shops dont do much these days but who ever did mine did a good job and considering it was 2 years ago it is still going hard
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
gusaberg

Post by gusaberg »

s/h shows $327 for the crank. you think its $100 postage ?

that prox rod is only $80. cant imagine postage more than $40 if even that much. install is only 1hr deal. $100 labor at the most. thats what they charge over here anyways
I was using Honda Discount Parts.com they list the crank for $361.00 plus postage and freight was about $60.00 from memory.
gregrobo wrote:
hey max the last crank i did a big end on i sent to the boys at savage suzuki in midland it was $400 including parts and freight both ways perth and back and around 2 weeks wait that was balanced also give them a call

got those mounts yet mate

I'm told Savage send 'em out too, probably to Ray Easson M/C Engineering in Bayswater. Easson is a drag bike nut, so builds shit strong. (That said, Ackie, at Savage Suzuki is a die-hard CR500 rider, so pick his brains for advice too . . . . ).
I've used Ray Easson for crank rebuilds,and his work is solid, and the price OK. Not so good with deadlines though . . .
Thanks other, I will give them a call and get a price. 100hp Honda, I would like to get a new genuine crank assy but the Comissioner of Fun and Finance is honing in my spendings so I have to be a little reserved at this point. :roll:

Thanks for the offer Roostius_Maximus for the rod, it maybe something to consider.

Cheers Max
2T500

Post by 2T500 »

Roostius_Maximus wrote: every honda wiseco crank i've known of in the last few months has blown the cans off and destroyed the cases.
Roosty, Are the cans really needed, case stuffing used to be the idea but hasn't there been a swing to more case volume is better nowadays ?

I have a new in the box wiseco rod kit and wondered about having a spare crank rebuilt without cans, then balanced to 5000, interested to know if anyone ran a crank without cans.
CR500 Enduro
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

from what i heard thats the biggest contrubiting factor to the 02-07 cr250 bog

never heard anyone say to much cc volume caused their bike to run bad, not enough does
gordon jennings has a "optimum" crancase compression ratio in his book, i believe its around 15 psi
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

when you Guys say "cans" on the crank, are you referring to a sheet-metal type form around the crank wheels? The wiseco crank I put in my CR didnt have anything like that on it, the crank was solid steel. Looked identical to the crank I took out of the bike, except the different rod casting.
2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
Gravel Scratcher

Post by Gravel Scratcher »

if there's one thing dad likes more than serenity… it's a two stroke engine on full throttle!
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

I helped my neighbor install a full wiseco crank and bearing kit in his '01 kx250. main bearing seized and broke apart on the 2nd ride. replaced with OEM and its been running great every weekend for several months.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

anothe kid shit a rod bearing on a wiseco crank he assembled friday, i bored the cyl last week. thinks 1-15 minutes on it. He's not an amature at fixing these bikes either.
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:anothe kid shit a rod bearing on a wiseco crank he assembled friday, i bored the cyl last week. thinks 1-15 minutes on it. He's not an amature at fixing these bikes either.
That really baffles me. Either I have a rare good one, or they went to shit in the last year or so..
2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

even a broken watch is right 2x/day