Genuine crank vs aftermarket crank

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
gusaberg

Genuine crank vs aftermarket crank

Post by gusaberg »

Hi guy's, Looking for some feed back on whether I should replace the rod on my genuine crank shaft (providing the bearing journals are still good) or just purchase an aftermarket Hotrod's complete crank? by the time I purchase a new rod for my crank and have it installed it would almost be the same cost as buying a complete new aftermarket crank. Is there any concerns with using Hotrod crank over a rebuilt genuine crank?

Cheers Max,
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

never seen the hotrods crank. must be a new item ? put prox rod back on your old assembly is what i would do. the wheels dont usually go bad unless it gets dropped or threads get buggered up
TYSTYX

Post by TYSTYX »

Isnt the Hotrods kit made by Seizco ( Wiseco ) ??
99 CR500R
2006 Honda CBR 1000RR Fireblade

My Drinking team has a Racing problem !

gusaberg

Post by gusaberg »

not sure about the manufacturer of the Hotrods crank kit. I have read that the Hotrods rods are a little hit and miss with quality control and that the Prox is a more popular choice, it is a little confusing as most of the piston feed back i have read is that the Pro x piston isn't very desirable and the Vertex is the popular choice with cast pistons. The crank kit didn't seem bad at $225 delivered. I haven't found or heard of a reputable machine shop that can replace my rod so if there are any West Aussies lurking and you have had sucess with someone it would be great to hear.

The crank kit I was talking about

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/230663625565 ... 1423.l2649
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

talked to wiseco directly about them being part of hotrods. said theres no connection. talked to them both on the phone about where their shit is made. wiseco is china hotrods is taiwan. not saying thats bad... just sayin. not even sure the pistons are usa. says so on the box but who knows. hit and miss on the hotrods seems to be a internet rumor as far as i can tell. never seen any proof of it
gusaberg

Post by gusaberg »

Thanks 100hp honda, I think I will take your advise and just rebuild my OEM crank with a Pro X rod (made in Japan right?) and try to find a good machine shop to do the job.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

prox is japan. most likely same place oem is made. cant confirm it but that would be my guess
gusaberg

Post by gusaberg »

worth a try for the price?
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

heard of a few people very unhappy with hotrods, heard big end hole too big, small end to big, center to center wrong.......
that being said i had one in my 125 and had no issues with it, but didnt ride too hard or often
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

$88 is hell of a deal. last one i bought was $100. probly gonna order another one from that link i posted :cool:
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

hey max the last crank i did a big end on i sent to the boys at savage suzuki in midland it was $400 including parts and freight both ways perth and back and around 2 weeks wait that was balanced also give them a call

got those mounts yet mate
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
gusaberg

Post by gusaberg »

Thanks Greg, was that $ including the rod or just for the work performed? Yeh have got the mounts and have sat it all together, was going to use the exhaust that i got with the doner but was a little out of shape so I'm waitin' on my new pc pipe to turn up for the final mockup. :D
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

obviously you would need to ring them for a exact price but mine was complete parts and labour are you getting your pipe locally or importing
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
gusaberg

Post by gusaberg »

Pipe is from the states, from the usual site, :roll: It is the pc platinum, I wanted the works pipe but had trouble finding one for the right price.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

whats a brandnew one from s/h cost to ship over there ? should be less than $400. the whole point of rebuilding a old one is its usually quit a bit cheaper but if its the same price you better off getting a new one IMO
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

I have a Wiseco crank in my 250. It was well built, and its been in my motor for 2 years or so without issue.
2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
gusaberg

Post by gusaberg »

I have looked into a genuine crank kit it will be about $420-450 delivered, the freight seems to kill the idea.

As for the Wiseco crank I haven't seen one for the cr500 do you have a link NightBiker07?

Thanks for the suggestions guy's :D
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

s/h shows $327 for the crank. you think its $100 postage ?

that prox rod is only $80. cant imagine postage more than $40 if even that much. install is only 1hr deal. $100 labor at the most. thats what they charge over here anyways
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

I have a hotrod i'd sell for 65$+freight :wink:
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

NightBiker07 wrote:I have a Wiseco crank in my 250. It was well built, and its been in my motor for 2 years or so without issue.
every honda wiseco crank i've known of in the last few months has blown the cans off and destroyed the cases.
more than 10 guys i've either done 500 work for or sold some of my 250 parts to.
A couple of members here in that group, one of them bought cases and a stock used crank for an 02 motor from me
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

gusaberg wrote:I have looked into a genuine crank kit it will be about $420-450 delivered, the freight seems to kill the idea.

As for the Wiseco crank I haven't seen one for the cr500 do you have a link NightBiker07?

Thanks for the suggestions guy's :D
The one i have wasnt for the CR500. Its in my CR250

Roostius_Maximus wrote:
NightBiker07 wrote:I have a Wiseco crank in my 250. It was well built, and its been in my motor for 2 years or so without issue.
every honda wiseco crank i've known of in the last few months has blown the cans off and destroyed the cases.
more than 10 guys i've either done 500 work for or sold some of my 250 parts to.
A couple of members here in that group, one of them bought cases and a stock used crank for an 02 motor from me
Hmm, that sounds shitty. Mine is two years old, so maybe they had a bad batch recently? or maybe their 500 cranks are shit.

My 250 gets its ass kicked every time I ride it, The throttle on it doesnt scare me a bit. (The 500 on the other hand...the wheelies are retarded)
2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
other

Post by other »

gregrobo wrote:hey max the last crank i did a big end on i sent to the boys at savage suzuki in midland it was $400 including parts and freight both ways perth and back and around 2 weeks wait that was balanced also give them a call

got those mounts yet mate
I'm told Savage send 'em out too, probably to Ray Easson M/C Engineering in Bayswater. Easson is a drag bike nut, so builds shit strong. (That said, Ackie, at Savage Suzuki is a die-hard CR500 rider, so pick his brains for advice too . . . . ).
I've used Ray Easson for crank rebuilds,and his work is solid, and the price OK. Not so good with deadlines though . . .
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

alot of posts on TT about shit wiseco cranks flying apart. no offense to anybody using one but go read for yourself. figured out why theyre selling like hotcakes. $161 to your door for crank, bearings, gaskets and seals :roll: .
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

might be worth looking at this....
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish