Air Boot Sealant

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
Gmbond

Air Boot Sealant

Post by Gmbond »

What does everyone use?

I've been using Toyota FIPG (form in place gasket) silicone sealant. This is used as a factory oil pan and waterpump gasket on most of these cars without issue and it sure seems to seal and adhere in this applications. I haven't had any issues but I am always wondering if there is something better.

Thanks
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

silicone sealant
dont use that, gas and silicone dont mix

3M weatherstrip adhesive (automotive) works decent

pstoffers had some window urathane glue? or something that was supposed to be permenant
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
seanmx57

Re: Air Boot Sealant

Post by seanmx57 »

Gmbond wrote:. I haven't had any issues but I am always wondering if there is something better.

Thanks
Not leaking is not leaking.

I've put 10 hard years on silicone sealant in airboxes with zero failure, more than once.

The black stuff is oil/gas resistant. I was using a worse grade, the red which is the high temp stuff.
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

That's kinda what I figured, it holds up as an oil pan gasket usually for the life of the vehicle, and on the rare occasion we haveto drop an oil pan off it has to be pried/chieseled off, I figured hot oil would be brutal for breaking down a sealant.

I've used a solvent cleaner to dissolve the weatherstrip adhesive to clean it off of cars so I would have thought gasoline would melt it away too.
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

sikaflex sticks like shit to a blanket
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
other

Air Boot Sealant

Post by other »

Yep, Sika is the stuff, as Gregrobo says. Make sure you use the 11FC, not the Pro, it's designed as an adhesive/sealant, rather than just a sealant, and shit yeah, it sticks !
Hey Gregrobo, you just sneaked in in front of me on the Rekluse Adam had for sale . . . .damn, that's 2 I missed now ! Enjoy man. I reckon I may even end up having to buy a new one . . . . .