Bastard engine ?'s.....

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
FPMXer

Bastard engine ?'s.....

Post by FPMXer »

So I've decided to just freshen up the motor with newer goodies and run the steel frame. Here's what I've got-88' cases with no damage and good transmission and crank. Gonna replace the crank bearings, seals and gaskets. I have a 96' cylinder that is being fitted to the 88' cases and the head is gonna be cleaned up. I also have a brand new 89' and up right side cover. I bought a new Moose seal kit on fleabay and I need a complete gasket kit but dunno what year kit I need. Do I buy the kit for an 88' and it'll fit the newer stuff or buy a kit for the 89' up and it'll fit the frankenmotor? I searched the forum to no avail.
2strokekyle

Post by 2strokekyle »

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I belive the only difference is the head gasket thickness.
FPMXer

Post by FPMXer »

I'm guessing by all the responses that the 89'-01' gasket kit is what I'll buy then. :lol:
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

use either, the 88 set has more gasket where the narrow sleeve fit, can be used in either engine with trimming.
FPMXer

Post by FPMXer »

Thanks RM I'll get the newer kit as I'm putting in the fatter sleeve'd cylinder anyway.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

you milling the cases larger, or cutting downt he sleeve od?
wont matter either way, just curious
FPMXer

Post by FPMXer »

I took it to a machinist and told him to take care of it either way. He cut the sleeve instead of milling out the cases. He also removed the two back cylinder studs so I can install longer ones. All I need now are new circlips and find a head. The one I have looks like it was hit with a gernade.
FPMXer

Post by FPMXer »

So the bike is up and running. I put the new late model right side cover on. The issue at hand is it's weeping coolant out the lil hole in the cover! I've replaced both the seals and the washer and still fucking leaks! The seals are Honda OEM from bikebandit! What gives???
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

probably put in backwards, its diffrent than the rest of the seals you install
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
FPMXer

Post by FPMXer »

Letters and solid side out or in?
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

spring goes toward water. spring toward oil.
FPMXer

Post by FPMXer »

100hph, The letters on both seals face each other?
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

yes. one spring goes toward water, other spring toward oil. most likely you put them in backwards. its common mistake. i did it once also :lol:
FPMXer

Post by FPMXer »

Yup that's how I installed them! lol Hopefully I can get them out without fucking them up! :lol:
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

most any dealer can have new ones in 3 days. probly not worth trying to save them

someone said rockymountain still sells honda parts but you have to call with part number. they could probly have them to your house in 4 days.
FRO53

Post by FRO53 »

I had the same problem. Turned out to be a head gasket. The pressure forces water out the hole. I had replaced all the seals and gaskets too. If you pull the head u can usally see where the water was going .
Northwest Nitro Nationals Pro NAHA Hillclimb April 26th-28th 2013
KX 60 hillclimber
CB 750 hillclimber
2001 xr70 (kids)
2009 trx 250 es (wifes)
FPMXer

Post by FPMXer »

FRO53 wrote:I had the same problem. Turned out to be a head gasket. The pressure forces water out the hole. I had replaced all the seals and gaskets too. If you pull the head u can usally see where the water was going .
It happens when the bike is not running after I've been kicking her. The head was decked and the jug is flat and new gasket. I installed the seals backwards.
FRO53

Post by FRO53 »

FPMXer wrote:
FRO53 wrote:I had the same problem. Turned out to be a head gasket. The pressure forces water out the hole. I had replaced all the seals and gaskets too. If you pull the head u can usally see where the water was going .
It happens when the bike is not running after I've been kicking her. The head was decked and the jug is flat and new gasket. I installed the seals backwards.
Cool!
Northwest Nitro Nationals Pro NAHA Hillclimb April 26th-28th 2013
KX 60 hillclimber
CB 750 hillclimber
2001 xr70 (kids)
2009 trx 250 es (wifes)
FPMXer

Post by FPMXer »

So after getting the seals corrected and hoses fixed. Once the bike reaches temp is shit's coolant out the over flow. I tried a new cap to no avail. I also removed the rad's and hoses and flushed them all out and they are free and clear. But the bitch still pisses coolant out the overflow line. I did a compression test and it's holding 160psi. What gives guru's?
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

if you fill it right to the top it will do that, just ride it and if you cant see coolant in the rad after a day you most likely have a problem
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

2strokeforever wrote:if you fill it right to the top it will do that, just ride it and if you cant see coolant in the rad after a day you most likely have a problem
x2

Mine never liked being full. Always burped the excess to just over the fins and not again.
No longer have a CR500.
07 Yamaha YZ250, 17 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
Get on with riding or get on with dying.
https://www.youtube.com/mojoscojo
racein01

Post by racein01 »

MojoScojo wrote:
2strokeforever wrote:if you fill it right to the top it will do that, just ride it and if you cant see coolant in the rad after a day you most likely have a problem
x2

Mine never liked being full. Always burped the excess to just over the fins and not again.
pstoffers

Post by pstoffers »

racein01 wrote:
MojoScojo wrote:
x2

X491
NAHA PRO HILLCLIMBER #216
LIVIN THE DREAM!!!

NOTHING BUT GREEN LABEL BLENDZALL!!!

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/P ... /Home.aspx
http://www.pro-hillclimbers.org/
FPMXer

Post by FPMXer »

That's where it stops is just over the fins! I'll just ride the dogshit out of it and wait till it gernades! :lol:
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

What about fitting a catch for it?
I've seen a few pics on here.