Pulser Coil / Flywheel Air Gap

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
CR500PHIL

Pulser Coil / Flywheel Air Gap

Post by CR500PHIL »

I put my CR250 ignition on and when I measured the air gap it was about 0.35 mm - much less than with the CR500 ignition which was 0.7 mm. I could not seem to get it any larger than that by moving the stator plate. The bike has great spark. Is this gap enough? What is the lowest you guys have ever ran the air gap at?
Steelie Build Done
Gen 1 CR500 AF Complete - SOLD
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

my opinion is closest it can be without hitting
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

X2 may even fire easier?
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

uh dude you dont use the stator plate :D . 2 little screws on the pick up is how you adjust it
CR500PHIL

Pulser

Post by CR500PHIL »

100hp honda wrote:uh dude you dont use the stator plate :D . 2 little screws on the pick up is how you adjust it
Ok I used the two screws to adjust it. I got the thing together, kicked and kicked - nothing. Lots of spark tough. I am thinking that the timing is off - what little adjustment there is.
Steelie Build Done
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

everything is in a fixed location... timing cant get off. cdi could go berzerk but thats totally different subject and million to one odds it aint your problem. getting gas in the cylinder ? maybe its flooded. the reeds fuked ? start checking everything
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

is it new 250 setup with all the tps bullshit ?
CR500PHIL

Post by CR500PHIL »

100hp honda wrote:is it new 250 setup with all the tps bullshit ?
New reeds / top end just about everything is new. It is a 1993 CR250 ignition. It ran perfect with the old ignition when it went but perodically had no spark. I can move the stator plate up and down some with the two bolts loosened. There is lots of spark, huge compression and I never had issue with gas before. I will check more tomorrow. So you say there is no timing adjustment.
Steelie Build Done
B440

Post by B440 »

Three sheets of plain white paper stack on top of each other. That's about the right thickness to set my air gap.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

thickness of a sparkplug box tab :wink:
CR500PHIL

Stator

Post by CR500PHIL »

100hp honda wrote:uh dude you dont use the stator plate :D . 2 little screws on the pick up is how you adjust it
If the timing is fixed why is the top slot in the 1993 CR250 stator plate larger than the bolt diameter - ie. slotted? The bottom hole has the timing plate on it which limits adjustment but what does moving the stator such that the bolt slides in the top hole adjust or what is its purpose? If the timing was fixed I would think both slots would have a hole (or plate with a hole) the same size as the bolt. Does anyone know why this is not the case?
Steelie Build Done
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

what does moving the stator such that the bolt slides in the top hole adjust or what is its purpose?
:bash:

if the stator is seated properly you cant move it unless you remove the little plate on the bottom and there you go 2 slotted holes
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
CR500PHIL

Post by CR500PHIL »

2strokeforever wrote:
what does moving the stator such that the bolt slides in the top hole adjust or what is its purpose?
:bash:

if the stator is seated properly you cant move it unless you remove the little plate on the bottom and there you go 2 slotted holes
I got the stator and air gap straightened out - kicked about 20 times managed to get it going, warmed it up, shut it off and it would not start any more. There is lots of spark and compression and fuel. This is the same behavior as about two months ago. I am going to try a leaner pilot, if that does not the fix the problem it is eBay part out time.
Steelie Build Done