What piston should I buy for my 86c5?

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
kevin_s

What piston should I buy for my 86c5?

Post by kevin_s »

I have been gathering parts to rebuild a 86CR500 engine I bought off craigslist.I have everything for it now except a new piston.
What brand do you guy's recommend?
also,what year pistons interchange with the 86 engine?
It's .060 now and has to go .080.

Just a note about something I found out about the pre 88 engines for those that want to put one of these engines in a 89 and up bike.
yes you can put the later case bushings in them but you also need to bore the cases for the bigger bushings.(Just something I found out that nobody has mentioned before that I have seen)
CR500PHIL

Re: What piston should I buy for my 86c5?

Post by CR500PHIL »

kevin_s wrote:I have been gathering parts to rebuild a 86CR500 engine I bought off craigslist.I have everything for it now except a new piston.
What brand do you guy's recommend?
also,what year pistons interchange with the 86 engine?
It's .060 now and has to go .080.

Just a note about something I found out about the pre 88 engines for those that want to put one of these engines in a 89 and up bike.
yes you can put the later case bushings in them but you also need to bore the cases for the bigger bushings.(Just something I found out that nobody has mentioned before that I have seen)
Vertex or OEM - I made bushings for my 1985 out of newer swing arm collars. Vertex makes one piston for all years.
Steelie Build Done
Gen 1 CR500 AF Complete - SOLD