714's 08 CRF250-500 Conversion

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
AMA714

Post by AMA714 »

Not much progress in the last couple weeks. I need reeds, so I think Ill order up either V-Force or a Rad valve.
Opinions? Anyone has a used one... Im looking
AMA714

Post by AMA714 »

I am liking the new style front fender and am going to make some custom shroud graphics.
[imgImage

[/img]
sugarshane

Post by sugarshane »

AMA714 wrote: so I grab a spare front fender from my 09 450 and started making it fit.

What all needed to be done to make it fit?
UknowDamright

Anyone have a Rad Valve for sale?????

Post by UknowDamright »

I have a set of stock rad valves, out of a running 1990 CR500, I would be willing to sell
AMA714

Post by AMA714 »

sugarshane wrote:
AMA714 wrote: so I grab a spare front fender from my 09 450 and started making it fit.

I made a template to locate the 08 clamp holes in the proper location. 2 of the 09 450 holes were very close so I just elongated them with a die grinder. Then I ground the side of the plastic to give a little clearance for the brake cable guide that is attached to the bottom clamp. Its at an angle on the 08 and the bolt head hits the fender. The 09 fender also needed some grinding to fit up in front of the bottom clamp.

After the fender was fit, i had to mod the 08 number plate to have a new bottom contour. Ill take a couple close up pictures for you.
UknowDamright

Post by UknowDamright »

AMA714 wrote:Bit the bullet.... Bought the PC pipe and silencer.. I want to ride this thing bad..

Anyone have a Rad Valve for sale?????
I have a set of stock rad valves, out of a running 1990 CR500, I would be willing to sell
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

whats a stock rad valve?
UknowDamright

Post by UknowDamright »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:whats a stock rad valve?
Rad Valve, AKA: Reed Valve System. Stock means they came on the bike from the factory, they go in the rear of the engine jug, in front of the carburetor
Nodge

Post by Nodge »

I'm not trying to be a dink, but....

Roosty knows exactly what you meant, but you missed his sarcasm.
"Rad Valve" is a Boyesen trade mark.
There is no such thing as a stock rad valve.
That is just what Boyesen calls their reed block or cage, or whatever you wanna call it.
Yah, I'm from Saskatchetoon!

MRE 02 250/500 conversion, pulse injector, twirp porting, coolhead, MRE ignition, blah blah blah blah... www.millarengines.com
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

UknowDamright wrote: I have a set of stock rad valves, out of a running 1990 CR500
Your jug as two reed valve assemblies.

Must be a Mugen......

:roll:
UknowDamright

blah

Post by UknowDamright »

nice guys, you got me, I feel like an idiot now. probably wont be the last time!! :lol: :lol:
sugarshane

Post by sugarshane »

AMA714 wrote:
sugarshane wrote:

I made a template to locate the 08 clamp holes in the proper location. 2 of the 09 450 holes were very close so I just elongated them with a die grinder. Then I ground the side of the plastic to give a little clearance for the brake cable guide that is attached to the bottom clamp. Its at an angle on the 08 and the bolt head hits the fender. The 09 fender also needed some grinding to fit up in front of the bottom clamp.

After the fender was fit, i had to mod the 08 number plate to have a new bottom contour. Ill take a couple close up pictures for you.
Sweet! I would like to see them. I think that it looks a lot better with the new fender. I did the same thing on my 04 YZ250 and it looked a lot better than the ugly fender that Yamaha ran for the past 30 years...
AMA714

Post by AMA714 »

here is a couple pictures to show new holes and the clearance for brake cable guide and front number plate.

[imgImage

[/imgImage
AMA714

Post by AMA714 »

Got my pipe and silencer today... Wish I had a Tig here to fab some brackets...
[imgImage

Went ahead and had some graphics made. I knew I wanted CR500 on it and maybe a rising sun.. so this is what the concepts look like. I like both actually... But sticking with the HRC
[/imgImage
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

:cool:
AMA714

Post by AMA714 »

Hey Bob.. Im all about making my silencer look right.. Did you do a newer CRF sub frame or did you use the older single muffler (04-05) style.

[imgImage[/img]
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Stock, 2004 CRF250X subframe.

On my build I hung it crooked.... hated it... and remounted ir correctly.

I had to build this little "Dipsy-Doodle" to go around the subframe, but I'm glad that I did....

Most of the A/F's you see at the dunes have the silencer all torn up on the inside from the paddle hitting it..... because its angled in. Not mine.
AMA714

Post by AMA714 »

I will have to fab a front and back bracket to hang silencer. There will be no need of the dippsy-doodle. It lines up nice, just need to make the tabs.
mxdogger

Post by mxdogger »

Zach nice job so far on the conversion and those graphics are really cool. whats the website for the company that did them ?
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

mxdogger wrote:Zach nice job so far on the conversion and those graphics are really cool. whats the website for the company that did them ?
http://nineoneninedesigns.com/ :wink:
AMA714

Post by AMA714 »

Hey Dogger, thanks. Send them an email, and ask for the Zach 500A/F design... he kept it. They are based out of NY.
nineonenine@yahoo.com
AMA714

Post by AMA714 »

Anyone done the new style (06-09) CRF250R sub frame. I would like to see how you mounted silencer. The rails on 08 are steeper and shorter than the 04-05.

If I get the tail of the pipe in a nice position it puts the silencer too high for sideplates and fender... Pissin me off... I want to make mounts that dont require any changes to the pipe and silencer, in case i need to replace later.
AMA714

Post by AMA714 »

Ok boys.... been a hell of a long time, so I thought I would update a little. The bike is finally done and I am off to Cycle Ranch today for her maiden voyage.

Here are a few more pics of the things I needed to get done since last post.

I went single outlet head using the large CRF style outlet

[imgImage[/img]
AMA714

Post by AMA714 »

As you can see in the photo, I had Dogger use the stock CRF 250R headstay. Cut and drilled, but using the Honda shape.

Next was the airbox. I have a 2008 CRF250R and found out pretty quick that the stuff hoons had done on the older 250F didnt quite work. Faceplate, airboot and silencer brackets I made using a flat sheet of aluminum

[imgImage

[/imgImage

[imgImage[/img]
AMA714

Post by AMA714 »

The rear silencer bracket was roughed out pretty quick. I dont like they way it looks, but to be honest...its hidden behind the side plate. I utilized the stock 250 muffler bracket bolt and then tied it back to the rear fender bolt. Once I had the proper bend to match the offset in frame, it came together pretty easy.

Next was the stinger mount...
[imgImage

I cut off the PC mount tab as it was stuck against the subframe mount on the 250F.I flipped it to the top side of the pipe and welded it upright. Then I made a offset bracket using the stock mid pipe mount hole.[/img]