Need ya'lls opinion

Is your kid Student Of The Month? Beat up Student Of The Month? Lets hear all about it!
Pony

Need ya'lls opinion

Post by Pony »

Ok I am having a bit of a delima. Im sure y'all have seen my post and the bike I am building and the parts I have bought, have for sale, bought wrong parts ect. I think this bike would be really cool and have already sunk money into it. It would probably not get tagged and just be super fun to build, wrench on, and occasionally break the law on.

The reality of it is I am sinking money into this thing. It's going to be a steady financial drain till the end I am sure just like my other bike I am choppin. But the other bike is going to be useful and street legal. I don't make a lot of money and I do enjoy wrenching for wrenchings sake but when it keeps costing money just for a cool looking toy I start wondering wth I am doing.

I want an AF. I have my ramp bike but it sucks on the track and I would like to have an all around bike. I had always planned when I get some money buy a clean late model 500 and do an AF conversion.

On the other hand I have a bunch of random parts and could probably come up to about 800 pretty quick. That puts me semi close to a gen 3 (what I want to build) and I have a fresh 85 sitting here with the electronics and carb.

I guess what I am asking is do y'all think the little outlaw bar hopper is rad? I feel like I am closer to an AF and would use that bike all the time. I know it is looked down on to use a pre 89 motor in an AF. I'm also looking at fixing the rotted clutch cover which will be some money I wouldn't have with the fin cylinder in the street bike. I'm asking for some guidance from some guys that know what's up. I don't want to keep throwing money away when something way more fun and useful is right there.

The damn AF section of this forum is what has me second guessing how I am using my resources....
britincali

Post by britincali »

As home made chopper 2 stroke its cool, not what the motor was made for but still cool.

I would build the af.....
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
Nodge

Re: Need ya'lls opinion

Post by Nodge »

Pony wrote:I know it is looked down on to use a pre 89 motor in an AF....
Who the hell says that?
Real CR500 engines are BLACK!
Yah, I'm from Saskatchetoon!

MRE 02 250/500 conversion, pulse injector, twirp porting, coolhead, MRE ignition, blah blah blah blah... www.millarengines.com
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

I wouldn't say they are looked down on at all. Some guys even prefer the older mills. The newer ones are easier and have benefittied in some ways such as clutch and parts support. Nice thing is if you build an af to fit a short rod block and later want to swap out a long rod it should bolt right up.

Your other project does look kinda cool too but would be more pure hooligan than anything else.

Do both!
britincali

Post by britincali »

Nodge wrote:Real CR500 engines are BLACK!

Hell yes!!!!!
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Gmbond wrote:Nice thing is if you build an af to fit a short rod block and later want to swap out a long rod it should bolt right up.
IF you raise the "Y" enough.... AND build new headstays AND may have to move the silencer a bit AND have enough coolant hose / spark plug to tank clearence AND have enough wiggle room in your intake trunk AND.......

:wink:
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

Pony wrote: Real CR500 engines are BLACK!
I got one of those O'bama motors, mines half black.
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

Tharrell wrote:
Foul!!!

Comparing a CR500 to Obama in ANY fashion is just WRONG!!!!

:lol: :lol:
No longer have a CR500.
07 Yamaha YZ250, 17 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
Get on with riding or get on with dying.
https://www.youtube.com/mojoscojo
Rue

Post by Rue »

Nodge wrote:
Pony wrote:I know it is looked down on to use a pre 89 motor in an AF....
Who the hell says that?
Real CR500 engines are BLACK!
X491 I'm going to run an 88' in my AF...
AFC Build link
http://www.bannedcr500riders.com/board/ ... 220#106220

"Real success is finding your lifework in the work that you love" (David McCullough)
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

Choppers are over rated and out dated.

You will have more fun on the AF as long as you can stay out of the E R. PLus you will become a better rider if you take up some track time with it as long as you look back at the mistake you made after you go down. Always learn, always learn............
Trinity Racing mild porting FMF
62 pilot, EGH needle, 172 main
03 Gen III CR250 frame

2013 Dodger Charger 5.7 Hemi

http://www.prisonplanet.com

Your Amsoil Customer # 350882
Pony

Post by Pony »

iggys-amsoil wrote:Choppers are over rated and out dated...
Whoa whoa.... Easy bud. Just like an AF, real bikes are built not bought. I'm out dated. Lol jk. Btw I am also savvy to the infowar. Awesome to see the prisonPlanet link on your sig.

Thanks for everyone's input. I am hitting craigslist with a bunch of stuff to raise funds. May even open a bank account and put my AF cash in it and have like 20 bucks a check drafted into it. I will go from goon to hoon in no time. Now going to do the research to see what I have to do to put a newer clutch cover on that motor. I have seen the info on here before just gotta find it again.

I am keeping my fin topend though. Someday I'm sure I will do something with it. I have an 84 cylinder, head and matching piston on the way thanks to someone on this board (forgot his screen name :(). He did me a good deal and it is def shelf worthy. Thanks again for the push!
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

MojoScojo wrote:
Tharrell wrote:
Foul!!!

Comparing a CR500 to Obama in ANY fashion is just WRONG!!!!

:lol: :lol:
I see that now.
It sorta stinks huh? sorry :cry:
Pony

Post by Pony »

Well since it will at the soonest be the summer time till I can get ahold of a gen 3 donor, I pulled out the 5hundy to drool a bit. I am so excited about having a bike that will moto and trail ride and just be all around badass.

Btw read old posts all afternoon and there is some pretty entertaining happening on here mixed in with the priceless knowledge. Haha super good reads!