Flywheel puller and case splitter for 84 CR500R

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
RIFLEMAN

Flywheel puller and case splitter for 84 CR500R

Post by RIFLEMAN »

Hey all,have almost all the parts to put my mill back together(special thanks to Aliso Bob & Mark Pinsonault on Vintage MX Swapmeet). But I need a flywheel puller and a case splitter.

Now I'm not above fabricating a splitter,but I need to know what the thread pitch(es)are for the puller so I can buy one online. Any info on a cheap source(I'm probably going to use it once)or info on what other bikes use the same one would be helpful. Or if ya got one rattleing around it the toolbox you're not using anymore and want to sell,drop me a line.
Thanks in advance!
If it has tits or wheels.....
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

tusf flywheel puller i think $13 and the tusk crank install tool work great
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
fastkart

Post by fastkart »

For a splitter, I went to Harbor Freight and bought this: http://www.harborfreight.com/46-piece-b ... 37824.html and attached it to the bolts that the stator bolts to. Take a stator bolt to Fastenal and get that thread size & pitch, but you'll need something longer, obviously. Use 1/4 washers to keep the bolt from slipping thru the puller.
maddog1927

Post by maddog1927 »

2strokeforever wrote:tusf flywheel puller i think $13 and the tusk crank install tool work great
X2

TUSK. From rocky mountain atv mc
lug nut

Post by lug nut »

The CR gods may banish me foverver, but a rubber mallet will usually spilt the cases just fine. If the main bearings are a stubborn, lightly heating the case area around the bearing with a propane torch gets the job done. I have done several motors like this, always with good luck.

For the flywheel, go to advance and use the loan a tool program. They have an air conditioning fly wheel puller kit, that works on many bikes and four wheelers. Unfortunatley it doesn't work for the CR500. The small gear puller set does work on the 500. The puller barely fits, but it works. Spray things down with PB Blaster or Kroil first. Last time I did mine, I just took the bottom end into the local advance and went through their loaner tools until I found what I needed. Popped the fly wheel right off in the store. Its good to be from a small town.
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

Loaner tools. What a concept.
No longer have a CR500.
07 Yamaha YZ250, 17 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
Get on with riding or get on with dying.
https://www.youtube.com/mojoscojo
fastkart

Post by fastkart »

Borrowing tools when you can buy the required tools for under $150 seems a bit foolish, IMO. Sure, it's much cheaper to borrow, but I'd rather have them in the tool box and ready to go than having to monkey with chasing them down.
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

I'm a tech at a Toyota dealer and we get people who ask to borrow tools all the time. Other shops or guys we know is one thing but when joe blow asks to borrow a specialty tool it's a pretty quick no.
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

do it the right way and buy this

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/produ ... lyId=17166

the tusk flywheel puller is $11 or something...

i split my cases with heat and a rubber mallet... not 100% proper, but worked and didnt hurt anything
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

I think I have an extra one...need to find it. interested?
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...