electrex stator

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
2strokeforever

electrex stator

Post by 2strokeforever »

so i got a 99 cr 250 ignition on my bike and i bought a electrex stator from stealthy, and it said id get a whole new backing plate, pulsar.... well i only got the coils :evil:
i go to bolt the coils on and find they dont fit because that resin stuff is covering the mounting surfaces... took half an hour to scrape that crap off
well it says its 60 watt so 12volts x 5 amps = 60 watts, right... well if it makes that its with the bike screaming, i havent reved it high yet because i live in town
it seems a little harder to start, but ill need to go for a ride to say for sure, but its wont be any harder than oem500 stuff if it is harder to start
i think i need a battery to have the regulator working properly, so ill be putting the cordless drill battery back on the front fender to see if it works right
im running regulated dc
ill report back soon, if i can ride all day with the hand warmers on low (2 amps i think) and power the fan when needed (3.5 amps)without killing the battery ill be happy

ill report back as soon as i have more info
heres some pics
where i stashed the regulator
the fan that is most the reason i got a lighting coil (it sounds like a blow dryer)
grip heater switch, and on/off/thermo switch for the fan
ya i used speaker wire... but eventualy ill redo it and shrink wrap everything
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
south central hoon

Post by south central hoon »

nice photography.

by the way, everytime i read your signature line it cracks me up that you can't spell TUBELESS. :shock:

WTF is tubliss?????
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

this is a tubliss, the red thingy

its supposed to be spelled that way, prolly so its easier to find
http://www.tubliss.com/
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

I had to lean my carb when I switched to an 01 cr250 ignition, then the starting was better.
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

had the ignition on for a while, it made starting better, my guess is stronger spark at very low rpms,
now the spark coil only has 3 little coils instead of 8, and 5 coils for lighting
ill toss hondas gay resistor plug cap and maybe that will bring the easyer starting back
it is about the same as the 500 ignition for starting now... so i cant complain too much

o and i adjust the idle mixture EVERY ride, so its not jetting changes that made it easyer
it also idled really low with the 250 oem stuff, i couldnt believe it
4stroke=dead fish
qkenuf4u

Post by qkenuf4u »

hey
i def. want to know what ya think about this setup cause its what im gonnna order for mine instead of just the lighting coil from RS.... :?

but i would be pissed if i didnt get the whole setup like they advertise on their site.... :evil:
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

but i would be pissed if i didnt get the whole setup like they advertise on their site
i am pissed but i dont want to wait, and since im from canada they prolly dont care
and mine definitely dosent put out the 50w at idle...
maybe they go 50w unregulated so its 3a at 17 volts or something gay like that
but if i can go all day with my grip heaters on low (2.3 amps) and my fan on when it needs it (2.5 amps) without my battery dying ill call it good
and grip heaters on high take 3.5 amps, but i figure if its cold enough to need grip heaters on high i prolly wont need the fan because those heaters are hot
even if they measured 50w = 14v x 3.6 amps i should be ok
4stroke=dead fish
qkenuf4u

Post by qkenuf4u »

2strokeforever wrote:
but i would be pissed if i didnt get the whole setup like they advertise on their site
i am pissed but i dont want to wait, and since im from canada they prolly dont care
and mine definitely dosent put out the 50w at idle...
maybe they go 50w unregulated so its 3a at 17 volts or something gay like that
but if i can go all day with my grip heaters on low (2.3 amps) and my fan on when it needs it (2.5 amps) without my battery dying ill call it good
and grip heaters on high take 3.5 amps, but i figure if its cold enough to need grip heaters on high i prolly wont need the fan because those heaters are hot
even if they measured 50w = 14v x 3.6 amps i should be ok
well when i order mine i better get the whole dam thing or they are gonna hear about it.... :evil:
as for the output, i guess as long as it keeps my battery charged and my tail/brake light/headlight lite ill be happy with it.... will prob. have the head light off most of the time but will def. need my brake light.
thanks
lance
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

maybe the coil dosent make it harder to start, i just realised that this was the first time my bike EVER sat for 3 weeks(fractured arm) and today its back to a 1 kick hot or cold, also tossed hondas 5K ohm resistor plug cap for a .000001 ohm cap, it could be that too?????
either way i cant notice a difrence from the oem stator, also got pulsar at 15 thou

well my lighting coil finaly arrived and i got it setup and tested it with the fan too see what it does ( Delta PFB0912DHE) 175CFM and 46mm H2o static pressure) http://www.delta.com.tw/product/cp/dcfa ... 2x38mm.pdf
since it flows so much i made a shroud because there was so much vacuum it would stick to the rad when turned on, so i figured it could use more air
well it still sticks but flows way more air now, it prolly could take 3/4 of the radiator...
the fan has been there for a while without the shroud for a while and i was too busy to hook it up, its been through mud and powerwashed lots and no issues

heres a few more pics of it now
notice the switch is before the fan, so when it turns off the entire cooling system, head, cylinder... is below 150f (+or- 8 degrees)

now for the test, 8 degrees Celsius (46f) at 1000ft using engine ice coolant
i started my bike from cold and let it idle fairly high, not moving at all with a few blips here and there and my fan switches on in 9 minutes ( its suposed to turn in between 162f and 178f), and goes for 3.5 minutes till it shuts off (at 30f less than it started at) then stays stoped for 2 and half minutes before it fires up again
heres the thermal switch i am using, i have a on/off/thermo toggle switch too
http://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Stan ... gcsZj2BQ==

i noticed the air coming out of the fan was barely warm so it was getting a lot of air through the rad fast so it will get even better as it gets hotter and it should cool even better when the motor is reving higher when the water pump is pumping faster, and in the summer when i switch to water and water wetter it should be even better because of waters better heat conduction

i am confidant that in the summer i will be able to go up the side of a muddy mountain 2nd pinned doing 1st gear speed without boiling, on friday when i can finally ride ill test it going up mountain bike trails
4stroke=dead fish
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

update i finaly fried the fan, but it wasnt from heat, dust or water :roll:
i figured it was cold enough to ditch my beautiful battery for the fan(the fan needs it to work)...
well if you ever measured the voltage out of a voltage regulator youll know its around 18-22 volts if theres nothing attached, as soon as you hook up a battery or any load it drops to 12-14v well my fan has a crapload of electronics in it, when you turn the switch it takes 2 seconds before it starts spinning, but takes a bit of current as soon as the switch is filpped, so not having the battery i started it and turned it on, and reved it, and the fan spun a bit then died

so i got a new one on the way, and i rewired the system and have a better regulator and the tusk XR400 battery from rocky mountain, and got it in the airbox
4stroke=dead fish
dubious01

Post by dubious01 »

Dood,
Since having problems with my last bike, KTM 505XCF, and starting it, its e start ONLY, I had a spare lithium battery from the streetbikes, and threw that on. Well way bettr battery, don't freeze, and will handle 1000 full discharge cycles.
If you try that with a lead acid battery it will be dead after 3 full discharges.

They are not cheap, but way smaller, lighter, and 100 times more durable.

I am now a distributor in Canada for a lithium ferrous battery manufacture.
I was sold on the design, I am a picky SOB.

I am confident anyone who is fed up with lead acid batteries, and their shortcomings, as well as needs less weight and more space under the seat will be very satisfied.

This one is a 120 cca, weighs the size of a cigarette pack, weighs 7 oz.
It replaces the ytz5, and ytz7 batteries which are 400 % larger, and weigh 500% more.

This baby is what we use in the 14.7:1 compression, 1550 cc inline 4 cylinder prostock, pro street bikes making 250 hp naturally aspirated.
its 12 cells, 360 cca, saves 10 lbs, and takes up 1/5 the space of a conventional 360 cca battery.

I'll be running a 120cca 4 cell on my CR500, as it will be required with the msd ignition.
Last edited by dubious01 on December 13th, 2010, 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

dubious01 wrote:... I am a picky SOB.
No your not, your a whiner and a complainer ( according to Glen)

:wink:

Post up a link or a catolog of what you have available.

Whats the smallest 12v unit you offer?

Anything 1" x 2" x 2"

Thats the size of the NiCad Baja Designs battery pack
kdizzle

Post by kdizzle »

i have one of those bateries on my RC51 and can say it is NEVER dead and is one hell of a battery. I didnt touch the thiong for 6 months, hit the starter and the bike fired to life like it had been on the tender the whole time.

One thing to watchout for is that at least for mine, a standard charger will not work.
dubious01

Post by dubious01 »

When the manufacture sends me all the info I will post up.
Its a new company, and quite small, but briced 1/3 of the competitors- "Speed Cell".
The batteries I have are designed for actually starting and operating a motorcycle, unlike the baja designs batteries.

These prefer a a good 5a -10 amp quick hard charge , over a small trickle charge, and will take a full charge in less than 15 minutes.
Ducati and Yamaha use them on their road race teams, in total loss systems, powering the fuel injectors, ignition, the ecm, and the fuel pumpo for up to 45 minutes, without any alternator on the bike!
It allows them to run a lighte bike, with less gyroscopic effect on the bike, as well as less parasitic loss on the engine for more power to the ground.

They are all 12v.
the smallest is the 120cca, and its dimensions are 4" long x 1"wide by 3"tall

Not sure if you rmember Glenn challenging me last summer, and posting only part of my pm on the board.
I basically said we all smell like shit in a shit throwing contest and its just bad for business i would think, and that was the end of that. :?
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

heres the one im using, because its cheap and small aprox 3X1X2 and its only for the fans, i got a diode so nothing else drains it, so i can go for 40 minutes at idle with the fan on and the light if i need it, but the fan stays full power
4stroke=dead fish
kball1313

bat

Post by kball1313 »

If if doesn't kill you, it hurts like hell.
Quads are dirtbikes for fat kids.
M.F.D.B.

Post by M.F.D.B. »

I learned long ago wattage ratings are "peak" and not "average" so any coil that runs off the stock flywheel on a 500 means you will loose your vision due to vibes long before your headlight is bright enough to light up a closet...

Why are you so bent on having a fan? You climate is colder in summertime than mine is in winter and I have only needed a fan, never. LOL In fact the first time I blew a water pump seal I rode an entire day not knowing my motor had zero coolant in it and never hurt anything! So apparently water cooled 500's think they are still cr480's...

And Tubliss is spelled that way because of "bliss"...its marketing...
Last edited by M.F.D.B. on December 15th, 2010, 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faster then Speedy Gonzalez, slower then the Road Runner!!! MEEP MEEP

2002 CR80
1999 Cr500
2003 CR250R
2005 CRF250R
2006 YZ450F
2005 CBR1000RR
1997 Banshee
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

i agree....if you arent having radiator boil overs, then all is well.

i have run the shit out of my bike in tight woods on the hottest days....never had a boil over or a locked-up overheated motor......just curious as to why you "need" the fan
2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

That what gets me, live in Canada and need a cooling fan?

Maybe you haven't heard of the 1.6 radiator cap?
Or leaving the coolant level just above the core and no more?
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

45 degree c summer day tight single track 1st gear and 2nd gear for 20 km and never even had coolant spitting never put any more than 100mls of coolant in
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

Why are you so bent on having a fan? You climate is colder in summertime than mine is in winter and I have only needed a fan, never.
ill boil over if i dont have it. and i got the 1.6 cap, engine ice water wetter...water/wetter in the summer
the people i ride with that are on 450s without fans boil over regularly so i know its not my bike
im putting on a extreme enduro race in the fall and invite you and your fanless bikes to come over and try :lol:
im betting 1/2mile before your steaming like a train
4stroke=dead fish
dubious01

Post by dubious01 »

sounds like an excercise in futility.
I d rather ride a kdx 200 in that type of shit.... goat trails are for goats, not big cats! :lol:

Nobody is porting their waterpump volutes (case) eh?

I'll post pics for ya when I do my next one.
Been doing them for years,

... never boiled a 500, and never ran a fan.
Mind ya, I wasn't trying to....
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

2strokeforever wrote:.. i got the 1.6 cap, engine ice water wetter...water/wetter in the summer
the people i ride with that are on 450s without fans boil over regularly so i know its not my bike
Sounds like you and your friends need to pick up the pace.
M.F.D.B.

Post by M.F.D.B. »

AlisoBob wrote:Sounds like you and your friends need to pick up the pace.
:lmao:

He keeps inviting us up there to prove ourselves, but I think those guys need to come to AZ once before they get all fired up... :wink:

There is stuff in the AZ staging area that is hairier than that pile of logs he posted pics of... :lol: :wink:
Faster then Speedy Gonzalez, slower then the Road Runner!!! MEEP MEEP

2002 CR80
1999 Cr500
2003 CR250R
2005 CRF250R
2006 YZ450F
2005 CBR1000RR
1997 Banshee
AngryShawn

Post by AngryShawn »

for those of us in the us: http://www.turntechbattery.com
Visit my friends at MX1WEST GUEnergy