top end

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
Mad Dog

Post by Mad Dog »

It's perfect............ :cool:
'We are motorcycle people; we walk tall and we laugh at whatever’s funny. We shit on the chests of the Weird….' HST
britincali

Post by britincali »

Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

bearorso wrote:I've worked with KTMs, both privately and in dealerships. In dealerships I've run workshops and been the warranty manager. So I've dealt with numerable problems with them. KTM are even worse than Honda in not recognising a problem and rectifying it, and that's asking something with Honda's track record.

You're kidding yourself about them being better made. Just like any other mass produced bikes, corners are cut everywhere. It's the way it is.

Paragons of engineering, they are not.

Just check the endless discussions on KTM Talk on the 'X' measurements for barrel/piston/head heights and clearances, for a very basic and simple quality control issue. A continual inability to get consistency in these components (or add in conrod / crank to that to get correct 'X' measurement) is not particularly impressive.

Don't get me wrong, I like KTMs, and when and if we finally see the long rumoured DFI 2ts, I'll be hankering after one. I'd like to have a 011 300XC, if it were available here, AND without the crazy price difference we have from the US prices. Well, that IS the primary reason I don't have one at the moment - the rest of the world seems to get reamed on KTM prices - we seem to be subsidizing the lower US prices. Fuck that for a joke - Leask and Co have more than enough money.

dont know anything about the new ktm other than what ive read. i know their popularity and producion numbers have went up shit loads from the '90's. they probly do cut corners alot more than they did in years past just to keep bikes rolling out the door. not sure they even use forged pistons anymore. hondas been sitting about a year. when you get used to 550 power there aint much use for a cr500 anymore :lol:
M.F.D.B.

Post by M.F.D.B. »

As soon as I saw your pics (before I read about the airbox thing) I thought "dam that kid clean his air filter with sand?" haha I personally think its hard to believe your main bearings arnt pissed after all that dirt...

100hp, In regards to the KTM 550 part...Are you friggin kidding me? The POS bike that was attached to that 550 motor wasnt worth its weight in dog shit. And the 550 wasnt "all that" anyways, besides it was 70ish cc's larger and I can tell you from personal experience that it wasnt that much better than a 500. It did have a lot more rev, but that was about it. And good luck starting that POS with your left leg...

Now for KTM in general, the local racers have seemingly never ending overheating issues. Thats even after bigger rads, high pressure caps, etc. Look at Arleys, it didnt last long at Dumont before pushing a head gasket. A buddy of mine recently converted his 250xc to a 300sx and now he is loosing bolts all over the place.

I wont even open the no rear linkage (until this year) can-o-worms...
:roll:
Faster then Speedy Gonzalez, slower then the Road Runner!!! MEEP MEEP

2002 CR80
1999 Cr500
2003 CR250R
2005 CRF250R
2006 YZ450F
2005 CBR1000RR
1997 Banshee
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

i dont want to hear it boyeee :lmao: . you probly rode one once... for 5min. maybe had piston in backwards or carb upside down. theres 4 in the garage from 2 different years. isnt my first rodeo with these bikes sunshine :lol: . honda isnt in the same sentence if your talking power. skeptical if the honda would even keep pace with the little 440 :lol:, in a straight race i doubt it, on a big dune where torque is a larger factor then probly be real close. chassis was good. wouldnt do motox with it but it was good as any other bike of the era for trails and off road. actually it was best depending what magazine you read. i dont believe everything magazines say cuz only 50% is usually on target. either way i dont care. to each their own. 2 hondas are collecting dust, rather dig trenches on the ktm. will try to find couple dudes to pilot the little ktm and honda and have 3 way race. wont be much of a race but make for some good laughs. btw ktm ignitions from back in the day were excellent and start effortlessly. magazines will confirm that if you dont trust my first hand knowledge. i done told you quit gettin second hand info from them buttwipes on TT :lol: :lol: . did that dude ever get the rope unstuck from his cylinder ??? :rotfl:
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

M.F.D.B. wrote:Now for KTM in general, the local racers have seemingly never ending overheating issues. Thats even after bigger rads, high pressure caps, etc.
maybe the new ones are shit. old ones had bigger rads than honda.
Look at Arleys, it didnt last long at Dumont before pushing a head gasket.
its a 4poke so who cares. lucky his piston didnt explode yet :lol: . dont know arley but im sure hes cool. hopefully he traded it in for 2stroke power.
A buddy of mine recently converted his 250xc to a 300sx and now he is loosing bolts all over the place.
brit looses 12lbs of bolts every ride. doesnt meen his stuff is junk :roll: :lol:
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

real difficult to start :wink: . old wore out piston and rings with splash of pc9. was 125psi at 6,300' if i recall. lord only knows how old everything else is. i sure as hell didnt replace any bearings or seals. think i even reused a old center gasket i had from the other bike. for sure i re-used the right case gasket. pretty sure i used new base gasket.

2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

honda isnt in the same sentence if your talking power. skeptical if the honda would even keep pace with the little 440
ive heard that from a few people, and if you check into it KTMs motors sweep the floor with any jap motor
ive heard from a reputable porter/racer that you could take a cr 125(any year) and bore it out to 134cc and port pipe polish bigger carb....... and a stock 125sx will have more power everywhere
ive only ever rode 2 ktms tho, both ripped
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
matt_NC

Post by matt_NC »

I can testify to that!
My bone stock 2001 125SX, which has had five sets of tires yet still on it's original clutch and top end, recently smoked by buddy's '06 YZ with a fresh 144cc top end, pipe and all that jazz, in a drag race.
My 125SX has seen hundreds of hours of track time and still hauls ass.
It is amazing how this thing has held up. A jap bike doesn't even compare.
KTMs make crazy hp!!!
Benol, obsessive airfilter and tranny oil service keep this bike happy.
There is nothing like ringing out a 125 2T on a motocross track!
Steve Matthes spoke about the 125SX in a podcast w/ Grant Langston. Matthes said the the offset rear shock allowed for a straight intake and a bigger carb.
As for the quality..... You get what you pay for.
Ready to race indeed.
M.F.D.B.

Post by M.F.D.B. »

matt_NC wrote: I can testify to that!
My bone stock 2001 125SX, which has had five sets of tires yet still on it's original clutch and top end, recently smoked by buddy's '06 YZ with a fresh 144cc top end, pipe and all that jazz, in a drag race.
Seriously? I go through 5 sets of tires in a few months, and my 06 yz450 with over 1000 hours still has the stock clutch in it... LOL

I used to smoke ZX10's, CBR1000RR's, GSXR1000's all day long on my POS clapped out CBR929 on the strip, what does that prove besides that I was a better rider? When I compare the "speed" of bikes I talk about its with me riding all of them. Bubba Stewart could take a 125 and smoke everyone I know on their 450's, does that mean a 125 is "faster" than a 450? Come on man...
matt_NC wrote:My 125SX has seen hundreds of hours of track time and still hauls ass.
It is amazing how this thing has held up. A jap bike doesn't even compare.
I hope you are kidding, there aint shit in a KTM thats magical, and yes they do come with some fancy shit stock (Brembo, Magura, etc.) but for the added cost you could just buy a Jap bike and then add the "bling" and still save money AND have a linkage suspension... :lol:
matt_NC wrote:As for the quality..... You get what you pay for.
Ready to race indeed.
The converted 300SX I mentioned earlier, is raced in WORCS 30+ expert and in local and CALI MX tracks and after riding both my "Jap" bikes he loved the suspension so much (done in my garage with Race Tech kits) he sent his to ESP and after 2 trips he still says my bikes have way better suspension. So I dont call any KTM "race ready" when the suspension (the most important part of a bike, period) is under par to a mostly stock Jap bike even after professional work... :roll:

2002 CR80
1999 Cr500
2003 CR250R
2005 CRF250R
2006 YZ450F
2005 CBR1000RR
1997 Banshee
matt_NC

Post by matt_NC »

The suspension sucks I agree.

The bike also is a lot bigger which I do like cause I'm tall.

I ride on a sand track so our tires last a long time.

There is no comparing 450 clutch life to 125 2-stroke clutch life.

I'm just saying those 125SXs are known for making crazy power.

And mine held together really well for getting track time nearly every weekend for ten years.

If you rode it back to back with a CR or YZ 125 you'd agree.
south central hoon

Post by south central hoon »

M.F.D.B. wrote: Now for KTM in general, the local racers have seemingly never ending overheating issues.:
that was certainly my experience with my 1996. blew that thing up so many times! rod bearings, sqeeks, all from excessive heat. fuck those old katooms.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

south central hoon wrote:
M.F.D.B. wrote: Now for KTM in general, the local racers have seemingly never ending overheating issues.:
that was certainly my experience with my 1996. blew that thing up so many times! rod bearings, sqeeks, all from excessive heat. fuck those old katooms.
talkin about the big boy bikes. not 300 or 250 or 125 or whatever you had. :lol: . probly the 360 ? dont think it had 1 part in common with the larger machines.
M.F.D.B.

Post by M.F.D.B. »

Big boy bikes, LOL!

I have rode my buddies 144SX and yes it would smoke a YZ/CR125 but then again it "should". His 250XC (now a 300SX) and my other buddies 250SX had good power but definitely nothing significantly more than my 03 CR250 (cept after the 300 kit it has really nice fat bottom end power but top end my 250 will eat it). I like the spring adjustable power valve but the rest of the bike sucked (too wide, weird ergos, felt top heavy, suspension etc.)

I love my German engineered firearms but not so much their bikes. I think the Japs still have the edge and the proof is in the sales volume and size of the corporation. By the way, you dont see one of THESE with a KTM logo on it:

2002 CR80
1999 Cr500
2003 CR250R
2005 CRF250R
2006 YZ450F
2005 CBR1000RR
1997 Banshee
nmdesertrider

Post by nmdesertrider »

Had a 03 250sx which went like stink but it vibrated worse than any bike I have ridden.
03 CRF450/85 500
south central hoon

Post by south central hoon »

100hp honda wrote:
south central hoon wrote:
talkin about the big boy bikes. not 300 or 250 or 125 or whatever you had. :lol: . probly the 360 ? dont think it had 1 part in common with the larger machines.
sx360. when it held together it certainly was fun!
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

just checked the piston, still no cracks, and the motor is under pretty good load all the time going through a foot of snow
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

2strokeforever wrote:just checked the piston, still no cracks, and the motor is under pretty good load all the time going through a foot of snow
Since when is snow putting a load on any dirt bike motor? So you are having trouble keeping the front end down then, right?
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

Since when is snow putting a load on any dirt bike motor? So you are having trouble keeping the front end down then, right?
lots of snow, on the gas heavy to dig down thru, watch this vid @ 13 min- end, didnt commit at the bottom but was wfo for most the way, barely had power to keep my speed, in the dirt i can shift up no problem
running 1 or 2 gears higher than on dirt, that tire is given er

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W-7MbDs ... re=related
4stroke=dead fish
M.F.D.B.

Post by M.F.D.B. »

Ive always wanted to try riding in the snow (only terrain on Earth I havnt ridden) but that doesnt look like much fun! :shock:

2002 CR80
1999 Cr500
2003 CR250R
2005 CRF250R
2006 YZ450F
2005 CBR1000RR
1997 Banshee
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Riding in the snow is awesome... Expand your horizons....
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

its hard work, and it hurts more when you hit something hard
nailed my knee on something? and now it feels like i grew an extra kneecap, dosent hurt too bad, but feels really creepy
4stroke=dead fish
M.F.D.B.

Post by M.F.D.B. »

Does the snow add any buffer to objects or do you just plow through clouds and then hit invisible rocks/logs that just toss you?

2002 CR80
1999 Cr500
2003 CR250R
2005 CRF250R
2006 YZ450F
2005 CBR1000RR
1997 Banshee
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

the invisible one, learnt that one the hard way
the stumps are the worst, and in the snow its hard to see the bumps, then you still gotta figure out whats under there
and its harder to get the front up, you have to use the flywheel of the rear tire to get any grip, pop the clutch a gear high, that pushes the rear tire into the ground, and that gets a bit of grip, that and a big yank on the bars usualy gets the front up, but then you gotta watch out for getting good grip, went over backwards hard once from that already, didnt even know what happend just saw my bike 10 feet in front of me doing a wheelie

i still think the worst part is wearing big winter gloves to stay warm and trying to use the clutch at the same time

heres all my vids
http://www.youtube.com/user/5002strokeforever#p/u
4stroke=dead fish
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »