who needs billet engine covers ?

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
Gravel Scratcher

Post by Gravel Scratcher »

I went down that road about 2 months ago.... :cry:
Shan mans cnc guy was moving shop at the time and was going to get back to me with some pricing but never did. Shan was more than helpful when i contacted him about it though, at that stage Shan offered up the programming for sale but i wasn't interested in becoming a business and dealing with all the shit i see people carry on with on this board. Anyone who thinks Shan will give the programming away for nicks is crazy, thats his time and skills that went into the design of the covers which should be duly compensated for.
if there's one thing dad likes more than serenity… it's a two stroke engine on full throttle!
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

cr_denny wrote:Has anyone tried to hit up Shanman? Since he's already gone through this process, may he could just give you his CAD file or the NC data his guy made them from.
your dreaming thousands of dollars in design time and would you give it away it took 3 days for me to cad my y up
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Shanman' machininst has a WHOLE GOD DAMMED STACH of these things under his workbench, but he's appearantly too busy to be bothered with digging them out.

Same goes for engine mounts and head stays.....

I dont get it.....

:britincali: :britincali: :britincali: :britincali: :britincali: :britincali: :britincali: :britincali: :britincali: :britincali: :britincali:
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

no one is asking/wanting shanmans drawing. dude will make his own drawings but needs some old covers if this project has any chance to move forward. still aint 100% he is down for the job, im kicking the bushes but i can only do so much. he aint a dirtbike dude and probly has no idea what clutch covers look like. without a sample everything is dead in the water.
Slomo

Post by Slomo »

Anyone remember the machinist who made these for us on Traces site?
Think I paid around 200 for this one...

AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

It was a real bummer when his house / shop burnt down....

:cry:
cr_denny

Post by cr_denny »

I guess I should have chosen my words a little more carefully. Wasn't trying to suggest that Shanman would "give" away, as in free, for this info. I just seem to remember he'd done all the leg work that someone is talking of doing again now. Maybe he's interested in selling it and maybe he's not. But if he was, and you could find a shop with the capabilities that's a bit hungry, you may be able get this done without a large outlay of cash. I know he didn't make any thing and probably lost money in the whole endeavor which really sucks.

All that being said, I'm interested in a set of these also, preferably bare. If Shanman was interested in selling the files to one person and we could spread out the cost, it seems a win/win.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

im just the middle man passing along info to the cnc guy. i wont be gaining/losing any money in the deal. like i said, he needs either a set of covers or drawings. i dont know anything about cnc machines, i assume the drawings will work for any type of machine ? honestly i dont even know what the hell drawings are. if nobody has a set of covers laying around then somebody talk to shanman. i dont know him but maybe somebody does. when you dudes figure it out send me a message on what the verdict is.
maddog1927

Post by maddog1927 »

I would pay about $90 for a 6061 ignition cover that was a copy of the OEM cover. It would need to retain the OEM gasket.

I am not interested in a clutch cover. The OEM is fine with me.

There seems to be a lot of interest in custom covers. Shanman’s machinist got it to the point where all he needed was a PHD (Push Here Dummy) in machining to make them, but he does not seem interested in selling them. Either there is no money in it, or there is better money in other things.

I tried to get my friend Jay who has a CNC to build them, but he felt there was no future in building parts for a discontinued bike. He built a boat load of parts for banshees and trx 250rs now he is selling them on ebay for cheap, and I guess once bit twice shy.

I tried telling him it was a strong niche market, and it beats making anything for a 450 that will be mass produced in china for pennies, but he is not seeing it.

Last I heard Roostius was talking about making them.

I think it is really going to take a 500 enthusiast with machining hobby and a CNC that does not mind
1) Making very little profit
2) Dealing with the hassles of selling them
3) Dealing with the hassles of shipping them
4) Dealing with the customer service end
5) Getting chastised EVERY time he even hinted that he made / sold them in a post on the other site
87CR500Rider

Post by 87CR500Rider »

100hp honda wrote:anyone gots some old honda ones sitting around to use for samples ? just need them to be used for the drawings then they will be returned. my honda is in storage across town for nearly a year, i have no idea what kind of clearance is between the cover and rear brake. how was you guys thinking to increase capacity ?
I can pull the covers off my spare 87'.