03 cr250 conversion?

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
atf8611

03 cr250 conversion?

Post by atf8611 »

Im pretty sure that I want to convert my 250 sometime in the near future. I have been doing some reading over the last few days, but I am left with a few questions. With my bike, does the Y need to be moved, or just modified? how many different models of 500 engines are there? i think i read that 85-87 are the same and 88+ are the same (as far as mount points)? are there any years to avoid at all costs? I think I read that some frames have the same swingarm and lower mounts as the 500, and only require modification of the front mount. if so, is my bike one of those?

I dont have a title for my bike at the moment, and i want to be sure that i can get one if i go through with this conversion. im thinking about buying a spare frame (with a title), doing the modifications, then swapping all the parts from my bike. what frames will accept my forks, tripples, swingarm, seat, tank...etc. only the 02+ 250s, or will somthing else?

if any of this has been covered before, i couldnt find it. thanks for any help.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

any year motor will work, the '85-'88 motors have the smaller rear bushings to deal with and the water pump hose issue. My A/F is an '86 motor. If you look at the gen3 Bob did you can see more details on the actual gen3 build. He found a way to do it without relocating the Y. Everyone else relocates the Y.
Gen3 conversions are a lot easier than gen4.
Get a motor and get started, I saw one on ebay last night! :wink:
welcome to the board, ask away!
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

dannygraves wrote: Gen3 conversions are a lot easier than gen4.
I am so so sure.. The Gen 4 frame and Rad's are WAY EZ. The airbox and fuel tank aren't. The Gen 3 is the reverse of this....

Take your pick.

Gen 1 is the way to go, as far as getting it done in a weekend.
Last edited by AlisoBob on November 2nd, 2007, 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

hellz yeah! especially with a kit in hand! :wink:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

And just where would someone turn to, and get one of these Gen 1 kits, Danny?

My choice for motors would be the 1990 and beyond, to get the updated clutch.
Last edited by AlisoBob on November 2nd, 2007, 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
atf8611

Post by atf8611 »

so the mounting points on the older motors are the same as the newer motors (except for the size of the rear)? I ask because if i do this with an old one, and it blows up on me some day, i wouldnt want to be restricted to an engine that only had a run of a few years.

do newer exhaust pipes fit the old engines, or would they need to be modified? it looks like the older bikes had that goofy looking exhaust, while the newer ones have one that looks like it would go in the same place as my 250.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

exhaust mounts the same and bolt pattern is the same. I could pull my '86 motor and put in a '01 without any additional mods.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
atf8611

Post by atf8611 »

oh, and will the parts from my bike transfer to an 03 crf450 frame? would the 450 frame be significantly harder than mine to modify?
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

stick with the 250 frame. people complained about the turning ability of the early thumpers. stick with the 250 frame and you won't be disappointed.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
atf8611

Post by atf8611 »

awsome info. thanks for the help. now i just need to find a decent donor bike.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Craigslist is better than Ebay...
atf8611

Post by atf8611 »

AlisoBob wrote:Craigslist is better than Ebay...
yeah im not a big fan of ebay. my last few vehicles have come from craigslist, and i can always find a good deal.

what is this i read about a kit for the gen 1? did i read that some of the parts fit the gen3? if so, where do i go about buying a kit and how much?
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

I'm selling gen-1 kits, but...we didn't really want to break the kits apart, so you would end up with a headstay and spacers you can't use.
Oh, Bob, btw, did the gen-1 coil mount fit on the gen3?
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
atf8611

Post by atf8611 »

dannygraves wrote:I'm selling gen-1 kits, but...we didn't really want to break the kits apart, so you would end up with a headstay and spacers you can't use.
Oh, Bob, btw, did the gen-1 coil mount fit on the gen3?
how much is a kit? is it expensive enough that i would be better off coming up with my own parts?
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

I'm selling them for $150. Shanman might have just the front mounts, but I'm not sure.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
atf8611

Post by atf8611 »

one more question on my mind, how much could I sell a 500 steel roller for? would a newer model be worth enough to offset the higher cost? still trying to figure out what engine i want, and this is definatly a determining factor.

thanks for all the help, this site has been a great resource so far.
Mik329

Post by Mik329 »

atf8611 wrote:one more question on my mind, how much could I sell a 500 steel roller for? would a newer model be worth enough to offset the higher cost? still trying to figure out what engine i want, and this is definatly a determining factor.

I just sold mine that was cherry for 650 bucks...probably could have done a little better on Ebay parting it out, but I don't have that kind of patience to deal with the general public....
atf8611

Post by atf8611 »

Mik329 wrote:
atf8611 wrote:one more question on my mind, how much could I sell a 500 steel roller for? would a newer model be worth enough to offset the higher cost? still trying to figure out what engine i want, and this is definatly a determining factor.

I just sold mine that was cherry for 650 bucks...probably could have done a little better on Ebay parting it out, but I don't have that kind of patience to deal with the general public....
what year was it? im thinking an older model would be hard to get rid of, but im not sure how the market is.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

atf8611 wrote:
Mik329 wrote:

what year was it? im thinking an older model would be hard to get rid of, but im not sure how the market is.
you are correct, I can't get rid of most of my '86 chassis, but a '96+ should sell well, $500-$800 for a rolling chassis, or atleast thats what I've seen.
but you could buy an '80s bike for under $1000 running. its kinda a toss up.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
atf8611

Post by atf8611 »

dannygraves wrote:
atf8611 wrote:
Mik329 wrote: I just sold mine that was cherry for 650 bucks...probably could have done a little better on Ebay parting it out, but I don't have that kind of patience to deal with the general public....
you are correct, I can't get rid of most of my '86 chassis, but a '96+ should sell well, $500-$800 for a rolling chassis, or atleast thats what I've seen.
but you could buy an '80s bike for under $1000 running. its kinda a toss up.
yeah i was thinking that it would even out in the end, one way or another. il probably end up buying whatever runs well at a good price. i definatly want to buy a whole donor bike as opposed to just an engine, since i would be able to check how it runs.
Mik329

Post by Mik329 »

atf8611 wrote:
mine was a 97', looks like I'm going to buy the frame back so I can knock out some more engine jigs for a few people
Ported&Polished

Post by Ported&Polished »

I want an engine jig please. :D
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
atf8611

Post by atf8611 »

Mik329 wrote:
atf8611 wrote:
mine was a 97', looks like I'm going to buy the frame back so I can knock out some more engine jigs for a few people
thats another reason I want a full bike, is so i can mock up a jig from the exact mounts. takes alot of guess work out of it.