AlisoBob's finally swapin' out his Top-End

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

AlisoBob's finally swapin' out his Top-End

Post by AlisoBob »

Got a big ol' box from Winkler, Manitoba yesterday... I got baseball all weekend, but come Monday I'll tear into this thing and get er' done.

So far, everything looks fantastic. I'll get some photos and comments up soon. Thank you Roosty.
dubious01

Post by dubious01 »

well that was a cock tease post! :lol:
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

dubious01 wrote:well that was a cock tease post! :lol:
Going more with the topless house party pics he "posted" :wink:
"When your riding your living... Everything else is just waiting!"

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
fastkart

Post by fastkart »

Can't wait to hear how the new Loomis stuff works! :lol:
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

Can't wait to hear how the new Loomis stuff works!
from what i heard roosty did it
im pretty excited to hear how it goes
hurry up
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
fastkart

Post by fastkart »

I heard roosty did it too, but that the box had a Loomis sticker on it. Never trust a Canuck... :lol: :lol:
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

pretty sure there was some messin with ppl in the chatroom going on lastnight, kinda like the night before when a report was given about the condition of the parts while it was stil in the hands of the usps :lol:
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

the only chance of a "loomis" sticker beeing found on it is if these guys were helping....
:wink:

100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

should be a positive experience. certainly cant be worse than what you had previously :lol:
fastkart

Post by fastkart »

Bob? Messing around? No way...
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

roosty showed me some pics, they looked nice, maybe if you ask he will put them up again
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

This stuff is 110% Canadian. They use Moosehead in the honing tank.... I can still smell it on the jug.....

I'll post up some photos after the Rangers get done kicking all that high priced Yankee ass.....

:twisted:
"SOLID Bro!!"

Post by "SOLID Bro!!" »

The shits from Canadia ?
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

So heres how my stuff arrived.... packed very well. No way to get damaged

Heres looking down the throat. So many times I see some backyard porter grind away here. Hello? The reed cage fills all this area. :roll: Roosty left it alone, and just worked on the boost ports.

Heres how the VForceIII cage fits the jug, Adam feels it extendes too far into the throat.... so he makes a nice spacer to pull it back a bit.
Like so..... :D
Heres the spacer, along with the intake boot. Roosty ported the boot too so there is no "lip" where my 41mm PWK slips in, and its port matched to the VForce reed block.

The port timing is spot on... Everything opens and closes together.

The exhaust port has a nice radius in the floor and is blended well from the rectangle port into the round outlet.

Roosty decked the base nicely. No blown base gaskets here!!!

Heres the deck, notice its untouched. Adam said its fine...I like that. Not everything needs to be dicked with, and if its fine... run it!! Juan Mendoza at Flow Technologies used to tell me how fustrating it was to have a customer call and say he missed a spot when he ported somebodies head. He would explain he didnt miss a spot, he left a certian area raw because it didnt need any material removed to flow correctly. Some customers didnt understand. It got to the point that he would just port everything 100% ( even if it hurt the flow) just to keep some customers happy..... Thanks for doing it right Roosty!

Heres a shot of the cylinder finish. I asked Adam to plateau hone for me. This involves bringing the cylinder to size, and stopping short of the final size, and then using some ultra fine stones to finish th jug.A plateau finish is one that is very smooth and has lots of bearing area to support the rings, but also has decent crosshatch depth to retain oil and provide good ring lubrication as well. Whats missing is the metal that was folded over during the boring and rough honing operations.

A plateau finish essentially duplicates a broken-in cylinder. In the old days, cylinders were honed to size, and the rings did the final finishing of the bore surface. But this required a lot of break-in time and shortened the life of the rings... with what Adam provided for me, my bore is round, sized correctly, and will stay that way AFTER break in... as the folded over material has already been removed..... :cool: :cool: :cool:

Lastly , heres the head. Adam cut some off to get the chamber shallower, then cut a extra bevel in the chamber to get the compression ratio back to stock... and then he put a mirror finish cut on the mating surface. I guess I wont need "Copper Coat" with this one, eh Roosty? This is what he does for "pump gas" set ups.

And there it is. I couldnt be more happy with everything. Its exactly what I wanted for the kind of riding I do. Adam has really wild setups for serious HP applications like Hillclimbing and Dune only machines if you have that kind of application.
When I get the time, I'll shoot some photos of the install, and what my old top end looks like after an extended time on the bike.

Thanks again Adam, you done good.

Last edited by AlisoBob on October 22nd, 2010, 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

nice work :cool:
TYSTYX

Post by TYSTYX »

Nice !!!
99 CR500R
2006 Honda CBR 1000RR Fireblade

My Drinking team has a Racing problem !

sabreguy

Post by sabreguy »

Looks good
88CR500
ROOST ON PEOPLE!!!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

sabreguy wrote:Looks good
Looks better than good..... Looks good x491

:twisted:
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

how much did it cost?
and did he do any of his case work
4stroke=dead fish
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Bob and I go back and forth on alot of parts, bike related and non, I always need stuff from Cali and he needs not so much from canada :lol:
"arrangements" were made :wink:

No case work was done, the engine is in bobs bike and wasnt to be removed incase a rida came up. I did what i feel is the most the cylinder can have done and stil be good for the long rides. Using gas is one thing, making peaky hard to find power for trails is another, this is neither but i expect a ride report to reflect Bobs opinion.

You might have noticed no epoxy in the rears, i do other things to favor other ports, this works better. As you'd expect there are parts of the cylinder that physically cant be seen or recognized with the camera that get work aswell.

The head is an R casting, every other head has a narrower squish. This is modified to work like the older heads, BETTER.

.005" was removed from the base, guys will tell you .020 is the number to chase, it completely depends on purpose. With the cometic base gasket used bobs cylinder is .010" lower than stock, it does not run the piston off the exhasut port at tdc, and can possibly add some torque to the engine.

vforce had it right with the vf2 if we're talking length. the vf3 is back to matching every other reed manufacturer, i expect this is becasue of the other aplications its used for, I'm very dissapointed in those boys.

i'm not going to say that everones cylinder will look identical either, there are things i do differently for different applications, some very drastic.

When a customer is going to build something for added performance theres a duty they have to making sure they know how to get the potential out of what they are already using, and then apply the same effort to the new setup.
Bobs engine has been together for years, last i heard the smithsonian was calling to get it for one of their displays.
Either way, he knows how to tune it and whats going to hurt it, not saying other people are not capable, plenty if not hopefully all the members of this site are in the same class.
I'm just puting it out there that this portwork, or anyone elses isnt likely a solution to fixing a clapped out bike thats hard to start, stalls constantly, fouls plugs or has needed 4 pistons in the last year.

Thanks for the review Bob
sabreguy

Post by sabreguy »

What would be the price on this if you and Bob didn't have "arrangements" :cool:
Last edited by sabreguy on October 23rd, 2010, 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
88CR500
ROOST ON PEOPLE!!!
rsss396

Post by rsss396 »

very clean work Adam!
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

double check the vforce3. had to modify the intake on mine to make them fit better. maybe its a personal thing :confused: . mototassinari said it was normal for the flappers to be smashed down when inserted in the intake tract....... seen alot of other motors and it just didnt seem right to me.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

the twirp porting is the one with 8ft lbs over stock?
but if i did that id need to get the crank lightened and balanced too...
well i better start saving up
has anyone lightened a crank before?
4stroke=dead fish