My '03 CRF450 conversion---Final pics!!

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
eyesky2002

My '03 CRF450 conversion---Final pics!!

Post by eyesky2002 »

Anyways to the subject at hand, some of you may remember the 03 CRF450R frame Robert (CR500R-G3) was converting into an AF that he recently sold; I picked it up from him to continue the project. He had put a lot of hard work and cut the Y out, removed the weld and left over drop tube in the Y and finally cut the drop tube to the proper height.

This is where it showed up at my door. First thing I did was whack off the mounting boss from the back side of the Y, then I notched the frame tubing; both top and bottom. Not sure why I did the bottom, figured it would give added weld surface and help with fitting the pieces together.

Once that was done I cut and fit solid extension pieces following the MT build. With some help from a higher power I managed to fit it all together, I will say one thing…. It is nice and tight! Metal zip ties work great for pulling all together.

Tonight I filed down all the surfaces to be welded and hope to get it to the welder tomorrow. Once that is done I will shift my efforts to getting me an engine sometime in Oct. I will post more as I do more!

Motor came in a couple weeks ago, all nice and neat in it's own little crate. Been a little busy, but I managed to get the time to make the mounts. 59mm bushing came and I stuck it all together. Everything lines up great, nice and tight; ready for the welder so hopefully I can get that done next week...

Here's a few new pics of it ready for weld 8-)

Took a little heat to the tank, after hearing everyones nightmares I am a little surprised; this was one of the more easier steps in completing my build. I have more then an inch of clearance.

Brian :D :D :P
Last edited by eyesky2002 on May 6th, 2009, 4:58 am, edited 17 times in total.
"When your riding your living... Everything else is just waiting!"

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Re: My '03 CRF450 conversion

Post by AlisoBob »

eyesky2002 wrote: Tonight I filed down all the surfaces to be welded and hope to get it to the welder tomorrow.
I like how you said filed.

Grinding will leave pieces of the wheel embedded in the aluminum, contaminating the weld..

Filing is the much prefered method.
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

Hey, I know that frame. :wink: :D

Lookin' good Brian! :cool:
coolbikeguy

Post by coolbikeguy »

so the swingarm bolt and the bottom motor mount from the 450 are both used ? no mods to the lower motor mount ? does the engine need to be drilled out or anything to accept the swingarm bolt ? im using the same frame ( mines an 02 450 ) scott
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

coolbikeguy wrote:so the swingarm bolt and the bottom motor mount from the 450 are both used ? no mods to the lower motor mount ? does the engine need to be drilled out or anything to accept the swingarm bolt ? im using the same frame ( mines an 02 450 ) scott
The 450 swingarm bolt is the same size but you have to cut out the bottom mounts and fab new ones from 1/4" 6061-T6 plate. If you can't find stock locally, onlinemetals.com is a good source.

Use the swingarm bushings Bob posted in the link below. :cool:

http://www.bannedcr500riders.com/board/ ... .php?t=990
DPinDet

My '03 CRF450 conversion (Updated 11/5)

Post by DPinDet »

Hey EyeSky, any pics of that baby all welded up yet?

DPinDet
"Trees are for traction"
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

Holding off on the welding til I get the exhaust and with x-mas just around the corner I may wait til after the first of the year to get those. I will post it up once I get it welded.

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Why? The manifold will determine the "Y" placement.
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

AlisoBob wrote:Why? The manifold will determine the "Y" placement.
Everything lines up good, but being that I have to take it out and have it welded I just want to get it all done in one trip to the shop. I will need to have the expansion chamber mounts welded on once I get them fabed and I can not do either til I get the exhaust. Thought about buying some junk pipes just to get the welding done, but figured I will just save the $$ for the new ones. Just did the coil mounts last week too. Perfection takes time and that is what I want.

My performance review is due at work, hoping for a 5% bonus; that should be more then enough for xmas and the pipes. Taxes will take care of revalving and the rims and hubs. All right on schedule to be riding it by March or April.

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

Off to the welder today, exhaust mounts, coil mounts, radiator mounts all ready for a bead!

Went with a different design on the head stay, copied King Okkies from the other board; plus the other one was just too cheesy :lol:

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

VERY NICE MANG! :cool:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

dannygraves wrote:VERY NICE MANG! :cool:
X2

Keep Going!!
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

Alright, welder has had it for a bit and finally finished tacking it up. I can't complain as it is not costing me a dime, they are a small family machine shop and got a nice order for some type of aluminum carts so they have been busy making money. Anyways got it back to pull the motor and finailze my radiator mount locations. Here are a couple shots...

Head stay came out sweet!!

Can't wait to see it all done up, gonna get it back to him tonight and hopefully next weekend he will finish it up!!!
Last edited by eyesky2002 on March 10th, 2008, 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

Lookin' good brother. I can't wait to see it all welded up. :cool:
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

Well here it is all ready to go back to the shop... Took the rubbers out of the rads so they won't melt, then I mooked it up with the mounts for them to tack and then remove the rads; then he said they will run it thru some bath to strip it clean for weld :?: I guess it will save me time when it comes to polishing. Also getting the left rad outlet turned up to meet the crossover hose.

I only wish I had a silencer, but that is out of reach for a couple weeks; either way he said he would do it once I get it and fit it for welding! :D

Got my $29.95 POS digital camera working a little better :roll:

Last edited by eyesky2002 on March 10th, 2008, 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
ISBB

Post by ISBB »

one of these days ill have a beer can :P
97 Steel 500 that wants to be an AFC
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

ISBB wrote:one of these days ill have a beer can :P
Me too!!! Right now I just have a 100 piece puzzle :lol:

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
ISBB

Post by ISBB »

its a damn good lookin 100 piece puzzle :P hurry up and get back in the garage and finish that sucker :P
97 Steel 500 that wants to be an AFC
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

++
Last edited by eyesky2002 on June 6th, 2008, 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

Got this thig back from the guy welding it up, I guess you get what you pay for and when it sounds to good to be true... LISTEN!!!! The welds are good for the most part, some way better then others; I would say two people worked on it! He never got the rad mounts on either, I think he just bit off more then he could chew and had his uncle finish it up. Plus the extensions just look like shit!!!! Maybe it's the welds or the way I cut the tubes or both???

Everything mounts up nice, engine, expansion chamber mounts and the headstay is sweet and solid! I pulled it back apart after checking fit to get the rad mounts done at the least.

Not sure on my direction in regards to the frame work....

1. Run with it how it is.
or
2. Grind the ugly welds and have it done right when I have the rad mounts done. (Was turned on to a racing go cart shop that builds thier own style of frame, who said they would go over it; hear they do good work but for a price!)

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

If the welds are solid, I'd run it. Trust me, by the time you get everything on it, you won't see much of the welds anyway.

I know we all want everything to be perfect but sometimes you just have to accept it and move on.
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

CR500R-G3 wrote:If the welds are solid, I'd run it. Trust me, by the time you get everything on it, you won't see much of the welds anyway.
X2...it's a bit of a different weld method then i've seen but it doesn't look bad...
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

CR500R-G3 wrote:If the welds are solid, I'd run it. Trust me, by the time you get everything on it, you won't see much of the welds anyway.

I know we all want everything to be perfect but sometimes you just have to accept it and move on.
I know when I had the engine and expansion chamber on I could not see any of it. Was just hoping for a nicer final product, but I am that way with everything..... Damn the OCD anyways!!!!

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

eyesky2002 wrote:Damn the OCD anyways!!!!
for sure...gotta be perfect!!! or the welder dies!! :evil:
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

Here it is as of today... Left radiator is at the welder having the outlet turned up and then I will fill the cooling system. Suspension, plastics and the silencer will be in next week :D Need to blow a bill or so at Hondaparts-direct on little nickle and dime stuff and the I hope to get it running as I save up for wheels and tires!!!

Air boot, what did you 450 guys find out for ones that will fit?

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF