My Aussie Gen 1 finally (Nearly) finished.

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
Dumprun

Post by Dumprun »

Finally got my Gen ! somewhere near finished and first race this weekend comming.
Hopefully better than the old steely.

I have already had a couple of small runs on it and it steers so much quicker than the old steely but suspension seem way out even after the 1K I just spent!!!! :shock:

Guess we will find out how it alll comes together this weekend, only problem is that one of the races is 15 laps of a 2.3km circuit and I reckon this thing is going to run out of juice! :?:

Not keen on pushing back so will do some testing on friday.
Just put a Vortex Ignition on it also, so will be interesting to see what comes of that too.
can't wait.! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

From this:-

To this:-

And now this!

AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Beautiful, I still like Gen 1's....
Rue

Post by Rue »

Sweet Gen. 1 super motard!!!! :wink:
AFC Build link
http://www.bannedcr500riders.com/board/ ... 220#106220

"Real success is finding your lifework in the work that you love" (David McCullough)
cryzsurfer

Post by cryzsurfer »

What's cool is the billet machined look of the gen 1 frames. I dug my 97 CR250 and still think it was one of the fastest 250 engines ever built.
Craigus
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

Beautiful bike love the graphics!

My 1997 Cr250 was an amazing bike especially for ice racing it was one the fastest 250 ice bikes I ever had set up. On loose/soft ice I could pull 500s down the straights and out turn them in the corners.

And in the woods I never felt or experienced the complaints everyone always voiced about the chassis. If anything it always seemed to save my ass by not getting slammed about.
dubious01

Post by dubious01 »

Both versions are freakin horny bikes dood! Nice!
matt_NC

Post by matt_NC »

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
south central hoon

Post by south central hoon »

looks great. I would recommend getting some kind of rad guard though.... :?
Dumprun

Post by Dumprun »

looks great. I would recommend getting some kind of rad guard though

The Rad gaurd is not so important with road racing and also found on the old one that with all the vibration, it tended to rub on the radiator it self!

Just got back from it's first race meet with mixed results.

Found that I need to tape up nearly 3/4 of tha radiator to get some temp into the motor. (run it at around 65-70 degrees C.
I'm also only running one return hose from the head but the amount of air that the Rad catches cools this thing awsome. Infact too much! :shock:

Down side was that the suspension was a long way out and made the thing a fair Bastard to ride!

Massive front end patter entering corners and had the front fold on me a few times.
Rear Racetech spring to soft and was using all the travel so much that it pushed the Zip tie I was using to measure shock travel into the bumpstop somewhere to be retrieved at a later date! :shock:

Forgot to take extra gearing aswell and was full throttle / top speed middle of the main straight. Need another gear for this little sucker.
Currently running 15/34

This thing drinks more fuel than a bunch of drunks at the front bar of our local pub!!!!!

2.3km circuit - 1 lap =560mm of fuel!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Is that normal :?:

Hence when it came to the fifteen lapper, I'd already parked the bastard before it threw me off, killed somebody else or ran out of fuel!

It still wheelstands everywhere as the old one did and attracts crowds as all 500cc strokers do these days

More homework to be done and much more money to be spent.

But we must be moving forward somewhere :roll:

It's an obsession that that makes me nervous! :D :D :D

Still not sure how all you guys find the balls to ride these things on the dirt as it's scary enough on the tarmac.
Gravel Scratcher

Post by Gravel Scratcher »

Found that I need to tape up nearly 3/4 of tha radiator to get some temp into the motor. (run it at around 65-70 degrees C.
A point i never reall thought of before, What temps should you run a 500 ?
if there's one thing dad likes more than serenity… it's a two stroke engine on full throttle!
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

That's one beautiful bike.

"Still not sure how all you guys find the balls to ride these things on the dirt as it's scary enough on the tarmac."

Heck, some of these guys ride them in the woods, with TREES and BIG ROCKS!!!

I have a hard enough time getting my big, arthritis ass to ride a dirt road!!

The 500 is a monster bone stock, massaged, it's brutal in an adrenaline pumping sort of way. Me likey.
Dumprun

Post by Dumprun »

A point i never reall thought of before, What temps should you run a 500 ?
I had been told by a motor builder that ideal working/hp temps at around the 65-70 mark but I'm sure others have more info?

Has worked for me over the last 20 years or so.

No cold seizures or cooked motors, just need to make sure ya run a temp gauge to keep check.